Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know how the gas mileage is, how they are in the snow, and if any one had any serious problems with them. I am thinking of getting one in the future not right away. Maybe in a year or so. Is 03 the year they started to use rack in pinion steering?

·
Premium Member
18,819 Posts
54deuce said:
I wanted to know how the gas mileage is, how they are in the snow, and if any one had any serious problems with them. I am thinking of getting one in the future not right away. Maybe in a year or so. Is 03 the year they started to use rack in pinion steering?
OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY...right up my alley...sort of. :lol:

Civilian Vic or Police Interceptor (CVPI)? I know a few generalities regarding later CVPI's but not much regarding civilian Vics...other than they generally have lower hp/tq ratings, lesser RAR's and do not have the heavy duty factory equipment.

My Police Interceptor (2007) gets 16 city and 24 highway. Good in the snow with an LSD. Sand bags in the trunk help with traction as well. Reliability is great, although I purchased my 2007 CVPI new and it only has 11K on it now. In the past, I briefly owned a used 2001 CVPI and then purchased a used 2003 CVPI which I drove for 3 years...no major problems but some of the 2003's had issues with cracking wheels and soft axle bearings. The 2003 model year (civilian and CVPI) was the first year for the updated suspension...and it is MUCH better than previous model years...I know this from experience since I drove 1999 through 2004 model years when I was a Police Officer. The 1999 and 2000 CVPI's came stock with a 3.55 RAR but not necessarily a stock LSD. Not sure what year it started or ended (1998-2002?) but many CVPI's had an issue with a cracking intake. The 2001 model year (civilian and CVPI) was the first year for the performance improved (PI) heads. The 2004 CVPI has an aggressive factory tune and is generally considered to be the fastest (acceleration) stock model year Vic. I believe it was in 2005 when the CVPI went to a 250 hp motor (from 239 hp) and a throttle by wire configuration. In 2006 the CVPI went to 17" wheels (from 16" wheels). The 2008 CVPI's have an optional factory E85 configuration and optional factory key fob entry.

Check out... www.crownvic.net

Check out this thread... http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1328064&page=0&fpart=1

·
Premium Member
18,819 Posts
CVPI pic time! :nerd:

My 2007 CVPI (silver) and now sold 2003 CVPI (white)...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking LX sport but I like the equipment the cvpi comes with and I would think the cvpi is alittle cheaper the only reason I liked the sport was for the floor shift only and painted chrome. Where would I get a good used cvpi?

·
Premium Member
18,819 Posts
I purchased both my used 2001 and 2003 CVPI's from Cheyka Motors, Inc. in Wisconsin just south of Wausau...right up the road from you. They were a pleasure to deal with.

Here's a link to their website...http://www.usedcopcars.com/

·
Premium Member
18,819 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the marauder also but I dont think its practical for me, worried about the snow with the wide tires and premium fuel and most important the price, maybe they will come down. I would like silver they have one on carmax 22,000. Thanks for the web sight Cochese I will check it out.

·
Car Whisperer
20,795 Posts
Collin, didn't know you sold the 03!!!!

I get about 18mpg around town in mine, with the mods I have done on a 99CVPI. I know the newer ones have the updated suspension and PI motor, but I really like my 99. I still have some friends on the job and they had 99's at one time and they said that was their favorite of the cars they have had. Nice thing is on the older ones, less money to buy them and if they are going to be snow drivers, I wouldn't want to spend a lot due to the eventual wear from the salt.

Tons of them for sale and you can get some good deals. From what I understand, the 2000 is not popular due to a different computer or something where it doesn't run like the 98 or 99's. 01 starts the PI motor which is some more horses.

the 3.55's are nice in the 99 also.

I enjoy driving mine, it is comfortable, hauls the kids around in comfort and the trunk is like a cavern. When I was on the job, they never got us these so I am enjoying the comforts now that I and the car are retired.

·
Registered
423 Posts
i got a pi and i like it. although it is not personally owned by me, pd owns it, i like it. i definately dont want to drive it when i'm off since i spend 12 hrs with it like 5 times a week. its slick in the rain and worse in the snow/ice. tx doesn't see much snow but ice sometimes. no traction control on mine. its an 08. its pretty quick. im not sure on the gas milage because i dont pay for gas in it. probably around 15 city and 20 hwy. i used to drive an 04 pi and that seemed to get better gas milage. i rarely turn my pi off when i go to calls so that probably doesn't help the gas milage. i got 4062 miles right now as i write this. i've had it for about 4 months and when i got it it had 800 miles on it from other people driving it, mostly lt's and captains.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts