Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got one for Christmas and it looks great. My only gripe is that since it doesn't have the collar like the stock one does, there's exposed dirty, rusty shifter handle in plain view. For those that have a non-collared shift knob, what did you do? I tried to take the boot loose and slide it up to the ball, but it has nothing to attach to that will keep it in place. Another idea I had was to make a spacer out of aluminum or plastic and paint it black. I suppose I could just unbolt the shifter handle and wire wheel that portion and paint it.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bullitt 736 said:
A good short throw shifter will fix you right up. :smile:
Won't it still leave an exposed shaft though? I assume so if they will accept the stock collared shift knob. Or is it just more appealing since it's a machined aluminum shaft that's exposed rather than my somewhat rusty one? I plan on getting a triax in the near future.

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
My boot comes up to the MRT ball. Just pull it up and eventually it will stay.

Or go to Home Cheapo and look for some PVC (or some other material) pipe to paint black.

·
Charles
13,299 Posts
When I removed my shift ball the bottom section twisted off leaving just the ball. I installed the TriAx and put the stock ball back on. I installed the handle in the lower position of the two positions available. The boot actually comes up to the bottom of the ball. If the shift lever did show I wouldn't care. It would be nice looking.

The sooner you get the short throw the better. You can't imagine how nice it is.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rblack4405 said:
are threads showing?
No, just the shaft below the threads.

A short throw is in my future, just doesn't fit into my budget right now. When I get the credit card paid down from my recent rearend upgrades, that'll be the next purchase.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
itsabullitt said:
I suppose I could just unbolt the shifter handle and wire wheel that portion and paint it.
That's the ticket. Quick,inexspensive,and DIY. You'll like it.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
I cut about 1/4 inch off the threads of my triax handle, ran the nut down until it stopped, then ran the shifter ball down until it stopped, backed it up until it was straight which wasnt very much then ran the nut back up until it was tight and pulled the boot up and its fine.

·
Registered
494 Posts
You could go with the idea of using some pvc. Take off the boot housing. Put the spacer on the handle. With you having a stock handle, either use a zip tie or a hose clamp to go under the spacer so the top of the boot should be under the ball. Reinstall the boot housing and reinstall all.

Chad

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
My MGW shifter handle came with rubber groments that slide down over the shaft with enough resistance that they will hold the boot up next to the knob.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I cut a piece of fuel line to fit. Slit it up the side and it slips right on. Turn the slit to the front, and nobody will ever notice.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies. I'll use the fuel line for now until I get the new shifter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts