Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The plan is buying SLP LT headers, SLP catted x pipe, and keeping the stock catback to keep the car looking like stock. I don't know how loud or quiet it will be. I have my Vortech SQ-Trim blower still off my old Bullitt and I'm trying to make a sleeper out of it. If I don't go with the stock catback I'll go with SLP LM2 catback. I'll be buying the headers and midpipe first and install those to see how it sounds before I make the jump to the cat back. I like a loud exhaust, but not loud in the cab so I will be sticking with a catted midpipe for that reason. I had BBK LT headers, BBK catted x pipe, and SSS cat back and it was loud out back, but quiet in the car and I loved the sound of it that's why I am debating getting the SLP LM2 cat back. I'd like everyone's thoughts and ideas on this new project of mine.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,235 Posts
Some muffler designs,just don't sound great with a X-pipe. If you keep the Bullitt mufflers,they will be somewhat restricting the gains you might see with the headers. The stock mufflers and matching pipe,vary in size,smaller,than the quoted 2 1/4 OD. In fact,the first inch or 2 of the muffler inlet and outlet,is sized down to 2 inch or less!
To get a unique sound,I backed up my Kook's headers,with a modified O/R X-pipe. Modified,so that with a removable divider insert,I can enjoy both worlds of H-pipe type sound qualities or switch out the plate and enjoy the full X flow design for the extra power and smoother sound. With the merge divider in place,it really puts the rumble back in the sound.
Muffler wise, I have a wild combo of the MAC Flowpath muffler,on the left side for the deep rumbly exhaust note,and on the right side, a Pype's Violator,for the mid range,higher exhaust notes. Something like stereo!!! Sounds really good!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. Maybe I will ditch the stock cat back then and go with the SLP LM2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,857 Posts
you might think of keeping the stock cat back and exhaust manifolds in case you decide to sell or go back stock..... that stuff gets expensive when you gotta buy it back from ford
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,503 Posts
Mus408 said:
Some muffler designs,just don't sound great with a X-pipe. If you keep the Bullitt mufflers,they will be somewhat restricting the gains you might see with the headers. The stock mufflers and matching pipe,vary in size,smaller,than the quoted 2 1/4 OD. In fact,the first inch or 2 of the muffler inlet and outlet,is sized down to 2 inch or less!
To get a unique sound,I backed up my Kook's headers,with a modified O/R X-pipe. Modified,so that with a removable divider insert,I can enjoy both worlds of H-pipe type sound qualities or switch out the plate and enjoy the full X flow design for the extra power and smoother sound. With the merge divider in place,it really puts the rumble back in the sound.
Muffler wise, I have a wild combo of the MAC Flowpath muffler,on the left side for the deep rumbly exhaust note,and on the right side, a Pype's Violator,for the mid range,higher exhaust notes. Something like stereo!!! Sounds really good!
This is too intreging not to ask for a sound bite.

Please!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,000 Posts
If you want the car "looking like stock", I am assuming you are talking about the stock brushed exhaust tips. Not many people are going to go looking at your catback to see if it is stock, but they will definitely notice the tips which is what I am basing my assumption on. If that be the case, why not go with whatever catback you want and then just use MRT's 3.5" brushed tips? Sure they are bigger than stock, but they still give that "stock" appearance.

Link to MRTs site for the tips

 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,235 Posts
FCMCBULLITT said:
This is too intreging not to ask for a sound bite.

Please!
I'll have to borrow my son's digital camcorder in order to do so. Then put it on youtube. I'll see what I can do!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
I can tell you that MUS408 car sounds great. The combination he speaks of really does sound nice and mean, especially going through a tunnel. I have stock headers, Magnaflow X-pipe with Magnaflow Magnapacks and his car is much, much louder then mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,000 Posts
petez said:
I have stock headers, Magnaflow X-pipe with Magnaflow Magnapacks
How do you like the Magnapack setup Pete? I can get a pretty smokin deal on a full Magnapack catback brand new but I have never heard one in person. Any drone? Sorry to threadjack....just wondering. lol
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top