Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I didn't want to put this on eight different threads and post whore the mods section (ahem, mr."py-like" bullitt) so I am going to put this all in one basket. Mainly deals with suspension, and other things that I have been researching in the past few days. Here goes:

1. Jacking - I am having problems with the front jack points on our cars. I usually jack the drain hole in the frame located almost next to the transmission pan. From what I gather from the bullitt archive, this is the correct point. The frame is bending inward and I'm afraid of damaging it perminately. I usually put a block of 2x4 inbetween the jack and frame, but this doesn't help. I noticed also that steeda and other manufacturers have special plates you can weld in as well as the jacking rails setup in the bullitt archive. What have you guys done to combat this?

2. Sub-frame connectors - I've been looking at them, but I really don't know much about them. What are the advantages of going to a full-length connectors rather than our facory ones? Also, will they act as a jacking rail for the front end? Are they a hard install, will it cost much to have someone do etc.? Looks like it might be a worthy mod for 976...

3. Coil over kits - I've been really interested in getting a coil over kit for 976. In particular i'm looking at the eibach pro-street s coil over kit (p/n 3510.710). I really like the fact that this has a high adjustability to it. Mainly I can lower it fully in the summer and raise it back up in the winter when there is snow on the ground. That and I'd like to do some road racing in 976 someday and I think this would be great for something like that. What other coil-over kits are available, and where to find them? Would I be better off getting some sportline springs?

4. Cobra rocker panels - If i do infact lower 976, I am afraid the mudflaps will be history. They are already cracked a bit and beat up. I noticed somebody on the boards was using the '03 cobra rocker panels. Is this a good solution and how well did it work? Are they more expensive than replacing the bullitt rocker panels?

I wanted to point out too that for those of you looking for pieces of the bullitt side skirts and rocker panels, that 50resto.com has them. It looks like from their page that they are in stock so better grab em while you can. Granted the price is a bit rediculous, but you may not even be able to find them in the future. Just a heads up.

5. 3.90 Gears - I noticed that MRT has a 3.90 rear end gears for our mustangs from motive performance. Anyone ever tried this? Theres no tables for this gear in the bullitt archive. I would think that this is a valuable intermediary between 3.73 and 4.10.

Ah that's all I can think of for now. I'm sure there are lots more that I have forgotten when I started typing this thread 30min ago, so it may come to me later. Input is greatly appreciated, even if you don't have an answer! Thanks guys

·
Registered
641 Posts
I installed Kenny Brown Jacking rails to help with lifting up the car. I wish I would have had the funding to also purchase and install the full length subframe connectors and the Matrix bracing while I was at it, but I was in school at the time. The jacking rails were worth it for the ease of lifting. See if you can find some on ebay. If not, it was just some 1x2 rectangular tubing. I can take some measurements off mine and you could probably have some made and installed by a local speed shop.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Most people go with the Ford racing gears as they are affordable, easy to set-up and don't make noise. The 3.90 Motive gears will require a little more set-up than the ford racing gears, so pick a good shop for the install.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Since I've pretty much done all of the questions you're looking for, here's my take:

1. Jacking & 2. Subframe connectors - If you're looking at getting subframes, and you want to jack up your car quickly and safely, go for some good tri-ladder full-length subframes. I went with Global West (full competition model -- Part# 929 on their website). They probably made the single biggest difference in the handling of the car. Have a professional install them (takes about 7 hours of labor for welding, painting, etc.). I forget how much they cost, but you're looking at around $1,000+ for parts and labor.

3. Coil Over kits - Most people on here will agree that the best coil over kit is the Maximum Motorsports (MM) coil over kit. They use Bilstein shocks/struts, Hypercoil coil over springs, MM camber/caster plates, etc. I put it on my car, and have loved every minute of it. The ride is fantastic, and not too harsh at all. Also, for jacking purposes, remember that once you lower your car, having jacking rails (and full-length subframes) makes it really easy to get under your car to reaching a jacking point. Getting a jack under a lowered car can be difficult w/out jacking rails.

4. Cobra rocker panels - I don't know. I still have my originals on there. I've scratched them a couple times, but it really hasn't affected them too greatly since I lowered my car. I think I actually did the majority of damage before I changed the suspension. Just drive carefully over speed bumps and you should be fine.

5. Gears - I've also heard that motive gears are louder than FRPP, so that's why I went with Ford's on mine. I put 4.10's in my Bullitt. 1st gear is still usable (despite what others may say), but not necessary. For cruising, I primarily stick with 2-5 gears. For that extra burst of speed off the line, I use 1st gear. Bottom line, don't fear the gear!!! :) The difference b/w 3.73's and 4.10's at 80 mph is approx. 300 rpms. The difference b/w 3.90's would be about half that. IMO, who cares about such few rpms. 4.10's are worth every penny... I doubt you'll ever hear someone with 4.10's say they wish they would have gotten 3.73's instead.

Good luck with your mods.

-Tim

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awsome tim thanks for the helpful info. Just called eibach about their coil over kits, looks like the pro-steet kit that I wanted is easily over $1,000. That's definately not in my budget. I think I will give MM a try as it looks like they have a really good setup for a decent price. Just one more question though, can I use other manufacturers springs (say H&R sportline) with the MM coilover kit? Again the help is apprecitated guys!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'm not sure if you can use H&R springs on them. It all depends on the design of the springs and the way they fit on the coil-over kit. I would suggest calling MM and ask them. They're really helpful and they'll know for sure whether or not you can use different springs.

I should warn you, though, I think the coil-over kit from MM is about $1600, which appears not to be in your budget right now. Also factor in about 7 hours for professional install as well. Mine took a little longer b/c the 315's in the back were causing some problems initially.

-Tim

·
Registered
656 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts