Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my car to an open-track event at Thunderhill Raceway in Willows, CA on March 28th and there were two other Bullitt's in attendance. There were only a 25 cars total! I didn't get much of a chance to talk to the other owners. I managed to find out that one is the fleet manager at Sanderson Ford and the other is a customer who ordered his Bullitt from Sanderson and had them put on a Saleen front bumper and Steeda G-Trac suspension. It was great day and I'm hooked! I can see this becoming an expensive hobby! The Bullitt did very well. This was my first time out and I managed to pass a newer Porsche 911 twice throughout the day. I never was passed by anyone and my friend in his Saleen convertible couldn't keep up with me. I'm already looking forward to my next event! Now I need to tweak a little more to get that extra bit out of the car!

Eric

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
You're a junkie.

Welcome to long nights and excuses for buying more tires than you'll ever need.

How did the brakes do? That's the only weak link that I have found on the Bullitt.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-04-01 15:29, JayP wrote:
You're a junkie.

Welcome to long nights and excuses for buying more tires than you'll ever need.

How did the brakes do? That's the only weak link that I have found on the Bullitt.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

JayP,

I'm definitely an addict! I'm already trying to figure out how to fit an extra set of rims and tires into the budget. I'm thinking Cobra R's with sticky 275/40/17 tires should do the trick. For track use only of course!

Funny you should mention the brakes. They were my largest area of concern. I upgraded the pads to Hawk HPS, had Stainless Steel braided brake lines put in, and had the fluid replaced Motul 600 degree fluid. Even doing all of this I did get fade toward the end of each session. The session were 30 minutes long and Thunderhill is hard on brakes. Next I'm going to upgrade to Hawk Blue's and see if I can run some ducting from the fog light hole to the front rotors. I think these two items should do a lot to keep the brakes from fading.

Eric

Overall, I was very impressed with the car. It did very well for a lightly modified factory car.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I'm gearing up for an event on the 20th.

In a box to install are braided lines and a brake duct kit...
http://www.miragemotorsports.com/Products/duct2.htm
Good kit for the dough.

All I need is a can of Super Blue and the pads- I'm going with full race pads.

I ended up buying Roush scratchdents the same 17x8 for $35 each. A little heavy, but hell, that's just about free!

About mounting the brake duct kit- I never found a good way to mount the ends. I ended up buying a Cobra bumper cover which has the 3" holes built in. I was going to use it for track-only, but the scratches are not bad and the cover is black anyway...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Eric, Eric, Eric...

Congrats on getting your feet wet!

I'm glad to read that you have a great and safe time. I got hooked a couple of years ago - I say it's the next best thing to sex with your clothes on! T-Hill is a blast!

Thanks for the feedback/input on the brakes. I, too, have thought them to be the weakest link.

I just swapped my GY's for Potenza S-03's in preparation to joining the Shelby club at Laguna Seca in May. Wheel Works matched Tirerack's price!

What did you do about a fire extinguisher? I assume you mounted one inside...right?

I'm heading up to T-Hill in two weeks with my Cobra.

See ya,
Randy R...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Randy,

I didn't have a fire extinguisher in my car. It wasn't a requirement for the event so I didn't bother.

I would suggest a upgraded Brake pads and a good brake bleed with High temp brake fluid at the least before you take the Bullitt on the track. If I had it to do over again I would buy Hawk Blues and put them on when I got to the track. The Hawk HPS were faiding badly the last 10 minutes of each 30 minute session. I may have boiled the high temp brake fluid as well. My brake were a lot more spongy at the end of the day than they were when I started.

I think you will be impressed with the handling of the car especially since you have upgraded the suspension some. One of the things I was impressed with is how balanced the car is. It cornered very neautral considering the only suspension mods I have are the SFC's and C/C plates with about 1.5 degrees of camber. I'll be reall interested to hear your report of how the car handles with the Griggs goodies. Your tires should make a big difference as well. Don't be suprised if you find yourself passing a lot of expensive imports!

Eric

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BULLITT00208 on 2002-04-02 13:09 ]</font>

·
Registered
354 Posts
Thanks Eric for your advice...

The Shelby Club runs 20 minute sessions, which will hopefully work in my favor, as I really don't wanna be swapping pads at the track on my Bullitt.

So, ain't open track just a blast??? :smile:

You should check out NASA for open track events, as well. I took one of their HPDE courses at T-Hill summer before last. On Sat it was driving school, in four groups. On Sun, it was full track passing in two groups. Tons of 20 minutes sessions, and full track passing is a blast. The novices put an "N" on the back window to tell passers, "Don't pass me in the corner.", there were a few put-puts to be patient with. BUT swatting those 911's, RX-7's, vette's, Panoz's, etc... was a blast.

The Shelby Club runs much faster than NASA, as everyone's running a V8 - and 1/2 are track-only cars, including retired NASCAR, etc...

I can't take my Cobra to Laguna Seca 'cause of the sound, which is why I'm excited about taking my Bullitt. Can't run over 90dB's at LSIR.

Keep the shiney side up,
Randy R...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Jay P, I would definitely not recommend going with the super blue brake fluid. That stuff has a very low boiling point for how much that stuff costs. I do a lot of track days with my little 1,900lb Porsche 914 and I can pretty much boil the fluid with super blue in every 25-30 track session. Just my two cents

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-04-03 06:35, redracer wrote:
Jay P, I would definitely not recommend going with the super blue brake fluid. That stuff has a very low boiling point for how much that stuff costs. I do a lot of track days with my little 1,900lb Porsche 914 and I can pretty much boil the fluid with super blue in every 25-30 track session. Just my two cents

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
redracer,
I thought the Porsche people loved Super Blue? Wet BP is 392,Motul Racing 600 and NEO Super DOT are only 421 Wet BP. Are you using Castrol SRF? Or is there something else out there?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
SuperBlue is easy to come by and I've used it on track with the Subaru and the Audi.

The pads always went before my fluid. I've ordered Hawk race pads so the fluid may become the weak link.

One of the local race teams said they used the same fluid CART cars used. It was $60 a can or something. I wonder if that fluid could be used on a daily driver and not corrode the brake system?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mid Life Crisis,
For some reason the Porsche club in general likes Super Blue, I don’t and the people that I know and respect as car builders and racers will not use the stuff. I have a personal friend that trashed a 996 in the fall at VIR because he boiled the fluid and the brake pedal went to the floor while using Super Blue.
I would like to use Castrol SRF but that stuff is too damn expensive. You guys might laugh and a buddy of mine would kill me for saying this but Ford Racing brake fluid is about the best all around fluid you can get and its cheap. It comes in a little metal can from the dealer and you can’t boil the stuff very easily.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Is the Ford Racing fluid the same as the HD Truck fluid?

Several people have put Ford Truck fluid in their track cars and liked it.

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
actually Ford Heavy Duty Dot 3 is excellent for racing, it has a dry BP of 550 and you are right it is cheap. HOWEVER I would not use it for street because the wet BP is only 290 and it absorbs moisture quickly. But for racing and someone that changes it all the time it would work fine. Perhaps the super blue people, that had problems, were abusing it by running it all year?

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
I have got a video on the computer of a Viper with no brakes you could add it to your collection.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm the guy who raced at T-Hill that Eric talked about...I'm the General Manager of Sanderson Ford in Healdsburg...about brakes...I had no fade whatsoever even though I was never passed...It seems that you can be fast at T-Hill and not fry the brakes...I have Ford HD Dot 3 fluid and stock brakes and suspension...the brakes were just inspected yesterday and they are fine...however I am replacing them with Hawk HP Plus pads...My friend Michael, the guy with the Saleen nose and the Steeda suspension has incredible brakes!!!Drilled, slotted rotors and comp pads are to be experienced to make you a believer! When I was at Bondurant's GP school, I was notorious for melting my brakes...until I was taken on the side by my instructor, Buddy Rice, and told that if I ever intended to finish a race I needed to have my brakes be with me at the finish...He taught me how to use my brakes without melting them! I am anxious to try the new brakes ASAP!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi
I would like to know if I am the only one to have run my rear pads down to the metal twice I only have 18500 km on the car FORD has replaced the rears pads and disks once under warranty and as we speak they are replacing 2 front calipers front pad master cylinder some electronic gadget rear disks and pads under warranty. (so I'm driving a couresty FOCUS. the shame.) I have done about 100 miles on the track only
Bullitt man (proud owner of bullitt 2874)

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Maybe you have something wrong with the bias?

I had to replace my rear pads after 1 year. I've -never- had to replace rear pads on any of my cars.

The Cobra/Bullitt rear disks are thicker and require a thinner rear pad than the GT. You can either spend the bucks for the Cobra pads or buy cheap GT pads and grind them down.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts