Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Wife, Me and a Buddy (Mike) went to the dyno today and dyno'd # 2551, 5072, 3683 here are the results.

This is my Wifes green one (nothistoy) and my Black one(cmezip). ( She is p*ssed )

This is Mike's Blue one (Bullit from heaven) run one is with snorkel, run 2 is with out, so much for everyone's but dyno's.

This is mine
The first one is with the MAF meter turned 90 deg counter clockwise, the second is bone stock MAF in the normal position, the third is a second run with the MAF turned 90deg counter clockwise.
ALL CARS ARE STOCK, right down to the paper air filter and Snorkel.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cmezip on 2001-11-24 19:59 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cmezip on 2001-11-24 20:21 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cmezip on 2001-11-25 22:14 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry I tried to post 150 kb pictures. Slimmed them down and now they work.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Did I get this right, the MAF in the stock location was the best run, right?

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We tried it twice and the best run was stock location for the MAF. Run two was done with the MAF at the stock angle. I could send some one a larger scan if you email me , and want to see it.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
That's some great info on these free mods. I'll have to bookmark this post for future reference. Good research Steve.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to make it clear, Removing the "snorkel" actually lost power and I personally do not think it sounds as good. Also The discussion about rotating the MAF 90 deg counter clockwise was put to the test, it also actually lost power. These mods did NOT work for us. I do not think we were doing anything wrong they just do not seem to work.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Guys,

The MAF rotation mod pertains to CAI's only (as far as I understand it). Has to do with bends in ducting before the MAF and variation of flow velocity across diameter. By rotating the MAF 90deg towards passenger side (short bend in CAI pipe), you are effectively placing the MAF sampling tube in the slower airflow and therefore tricking the PCM into thinking that less air is flowing into the engine. The PCM responds by reducing injector pulsewidth (fuel) which leans out the mixture and makes more power. As cmezip found out, it probably doesn't work with the stock setup. Also, anytime intake/exhaust mods are made, time (miles) should be allowed for the PCM to re-learn things and adjust the fuel trims accordingly. Back to back dyno results won't show the real deal IMO.

Mark

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah to bad I did the mod some 250 miles before I went on the dyno and then when I turned it back to stock my h.p. went up 4 and torque went up 8 ft lbs. go figure? Also the guys at the dyno shop looked at me pretty funny when I told them why I was turning the MAF. Has anyone in Bullitt club dyno'd this mod? I wan't to know what a mod really does but it seem's no one post any dyno's of before and after when they do a mod. I would like to know if the densecharger setup really helps or if it is just because of the filter improvement.
Also why would the pcm need time to recalibrate? does it only sample every 5 minutes or so? That is so bogus.
The dyno shop said they have had a couple of other Bullitts in there and I was wondering what their dyno's looked like?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cmezip on 2001-11-25 23:50 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Just to make sure I'm reading this right, the car lost 2 hp with the silencer removed? I notice the run without the silencer was made only three minutes after the first. You may very well be correct, but for arguements sake, isn't it possible the loss of power was due to the engine being hot?

I know this is not a dyno example, but on a recent trip to the track my car, I ran back to back runs in a 6 minute period. While the 60' was better on the second run, everything else fell off. I ended up running .18 slower and lost .7mph. Clearly due to heat.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-11-25 23:19, mjchip wrote:
Guys,

The MAF rotation mod pertains to CAI's only (as far as I understand it). Has to do with bends in ducting before the MAF and variation of flow velocity across diameter. By rotating the MAF 90deg towards passenger side (short bend in CAI pipe), you are effectively placing the MAF sampling tube in the slower airflow and therefore tricking the PCM into thinking that less air is flowing into the engine. The PCM responds by reducing injector pulsewidth (fuel) which leans out the mixture and makes more power. As cmezip found out, it probably doesn't work with the stock setup. Also, anytime intake/exhaust mods are made, time (miles) should be allowed for the PCM to re-learn things and adjust the fuel trims accordingly. Back to back dyno results won't show the real deal IMO.

Mark

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I've only just now seen anything about this mod. Can it be explained a little more here or is there a thread already here somewhere?

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The topic I found the mod off is here
http://www.bullittclub.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=4081&forum=2&4
As far as time/heat on the dyno runs, mine (the graph with three on it) were made back to back. Every 5 minutes and I still made more power after made the first run 5 minutes before. Also what good does it do to let your car cool off? Am I supposed to say whoa wait a minute, I can't race yet my car needs to cool off? Like I said it was 60 degrees out and there was a 3 1/2 or 4 foot fan blowing on the cars with the hood open. Maybe this could be the reason for the loss on the snorkel removed the second time but I still do not believe it actually helps a stock car. I would be happy to race someone in the area without there snorkel on to put it to the test, Marty ? Anyone?
I am not all knowing, I am only posting what we found so people can see our results. I also plan on dynoing the results of my wifes car before and after the pulleys and C&L CAI. I will not be modding my car because I plan on running F-Stock in my local autocross in 2002.

·
Banned
663 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
Also what good does it do to let your car cool off? Am I supposed to say whoa wait a minute, I can't race yet my car needs to cool off?</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

You need to drop by your local drag strip and tell all those guys pushing their cars up the staging lanes with the hoods up that doesn't get them any HP. A hot car WILL make less HP.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PLEASE REREAD WHAT YOU QUOTED
Sorry I drive my car at the strip, # 2551's first time (with me behind the wheel)was a 13.928 @ 100mph 15 minutes off the street. I am sure in the right conditions you do make extra horsepower (3-5 on a stock Bullitt) but I am not going for the "extra" tenth or .5mph. Like I said before, I don't tell people oohh hold I have to let my car cool off. I don't mean to come off like a jerk but I have been at the track 6 or 7 times trying things out and at the dyno with the graphs to prove it, this is my input... go take your "snorkel" off to gain that extra 25 h.p. and 1/2 second in the quarter.....
I don't know about you but either of my Bullitts drove better with a little "heat" in them, from a cold startit was no good.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cmezip on 2002-05-26 22:52 ]</font>

·
Banned
663 Posts
If your street racing your right, you can't say "hold on". But since this is a Dyno section, I assume that's what we're talking about. If your car made more HP when it was hot WITH NO OTHER CHANGES, then that's a first in my book. A properly tuned car will not act that way. A cooler/denser fuel-air mixture and a cool block to dissapate the unused combustion energy goes a long way toward developing higher piston pressures and the resulting HP. I learn something new everyday. Maybe there is something that makes you particular car run better hot. Maybe it's rich to start with and the hotter charge leans it out some? Just a guess. One more thing, move to Florida, deal with 90+ deg temps and high humidity. We DO wait for the car to cool at the track. If you don't, your wasting your time. I bet Ackerman will confirm that. We even bring an ice chest to cool the intake manifold!! It makes a huge difference. BTW your ETs and traps look great for stock!! I may have to move to St. Louis.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My car was dyno'd straight off the street and I made the most H.P. Then it was Dyno'd two more times within 10 minutes. and yes I lost 1.5 h.p. by the third run and a little over 1 ftlb of torque, hardly enough to shake a stick at. The dyno's are numbered in order and times. I have ran one time after another at the track and/or straight off the street and been very consistant. ice/cool off time/ pulling the spare its a little like cheating to me. I will raise the hood cuz the intake cools nicely. As far as Florida vs. St. Louis give us a month and we to will have 90 deg + 60% and up humidity and I will lose 3/10's but thats ok, so will everyone else. My point is I am not worried about the tenth in the quarter or the SOP feeling the denscharger gave you. I have had 8 runs one night and I ran better w/a higher MPH with the snorkel and no filter than with out the snorkel and w/or with out filter. I am also funny that I am really pretty content with a high 13 second timeslip. I still beat most LS1's and we all know how I do it (hanging around the track asking all the guys what works and what doesn't has it definute +++'s) I would like to see 13.7's in the right conditions but I am not at the point to pull that off, need some more practice first and a couple of 60 degree nights....but hey I have gotten my 60's down in the low 2.1's so I am getting there. (course the wife pulled a perfect 2.0 ,Bitch)

·
Banned
663 Posts
When it gets down to 60deg here, we stay huddled by the fire. I get chapped lips with a 60 humidity. Went hiking in the Grand Canyon one time and almost bleed to death from the lips. I think we should meet at a track in Arizona on a cool night. That should get us both .5 on the ET. My Wife drives a 96 Impala SS. When she threatend to smoke me at the track is when the Vortech went on!!!! The ladies also seem have better reflexes than the guys. Were her RTs lower than yours too? It is not fair! Are you pulling the 2.1 60s on the Gatorbacks?

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
her best time is a 14.2 @ 99 mph and yeah we still have the gaterbacks on. She takes her time shifting, when we went on a Bullittcruise she was tryiing to race the other Bullittheads, she is funny like that.( she also won quite a few, course now LesnTea have done a couple of mods to their car)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts