Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Bullitt last week and have not noticed any trans noises, but I am hearing a light ticking noise when I accelerate. Is this the injector noise or maybe an exhaust leak? Or maybe it's normal? Anyone else hear a ligh ticking sound? I can hear it through the dash when driving.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have the same noise and it is driving me nuts... I am not sure if it is an injector or what.. I am going to swing by the dealership this afternoon and get it checked out AGAIN......

Doug

·
Registered
959 Posts
You wouldn't hear the injectors from inside the car. May be an exhaust leak. SOme here have reported loose exhaust manifold bolts.

Brian

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-16 14:48, FordBullitt wrote:
You wouldn't hear the injectors from inside the car. May be an exhaust leak. SOme here have reported loose exhaust manifold bolts.

Brian

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
I hadn't seen that....I'm going to have to check it out...Thanks for passing that along....

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I'll ask the dealer on Mon. about the noise. I'm thinking it's probably an exhaust leak. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have the same noise. Those injectors can get pretty loud, believe me....

However, I will tighten down my exhaust manifold bolts on Friday aft. and report back here if any were loose.

Paul G.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Do you know if it is hard to access the manfild bolts??? I was going to take it into the dealership... butt will put a wrench to it this weekend... if it dosnt look to hard.. thanks

Doug

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have owned my car since July 3rd and have always had this noise in my car. I now have 1300 miles on the car and it is still there.
I have no clue what it is.

Jeff
--------------------------------------------
01 Bullitt #3848

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lt. Jeff on 2001-08-18 11:47 ]</font>

·
Registered
264 Posts
Ok....this afternoon I have checked and tightened down most of the exhaust manifold bolts. A couple were a bit loose towards the front, but nothing that would warrant a leak. You can also easily spot a leak by the carbon coming outside the gasket and staining the block.

IT is an absolute B$%tch to do this small job. I thought changing the plugs on my LT-1 Z28 was bad but this is one job that I wouldn't want to tackle on this car on a regular basis. It looks like it would be a nightmare to put in a set of shorty headers in this thing without removing the fenderwells....in fact, I don't think you could. I had to jack up the car and tighten the bolts from the bottom. IMHO...the stockers won't be moving out of my car any time soon. I also checked my seals on the H-pipe to manifold connection and they were perfect.

The noise is still there and has led me to believe that it IS the injectors either that or loose pellets in the first set of Catalytic convertors. I had a similar noise in my LS-1. You could hear the injectors inside, believe it or not. It may also be a vaccum noise from the tranny because it is occuring only under heavy accelleration.

Either way, it isn't too bothersome.

Paul G.

·
Registered
959 Posts
PB... coverters haven't use pellets in some time, they are all honeycomb monollythic bricks.

Brian

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the same noise and I thought it must be an exhaust leak. But after the above post I won't be checking for manifold leaks anytime soon.

·
Registered
219 Posts
As much as I hate to do it, I'm taking #196 to the dealer. I drove around today trying to pinpoint where the ticking is coming from and it's actually coming from three different locations in the dash. The loudest tick seems to come from the center of the dash while less prominent ticks come from the passenger and driver sides. I'm thinking it's got to be fans or something else in the dash. Anybody know what mechanical or moving parts are in the dash. I dread the thought of the dealer service dept. pulling my dash apart, but the noise is really iritating.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have what I believe is the same problem. I hear what appears to be a sound like the a playing card against the spokes of a bicycle tire, more more "tick" sounding. I hear it with the window down when I let off the gas after moderate to low accelleration. Any ideas here?

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have 3 oclock apt with the dealership.. I will post findings this afternoon...

Doug

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Please tell us what it is....i was under the car this weekend and exhuast was solid....I can live with this noise as long as I know somethings not wrong...

·
Registered
452 Posts
Well me and the tech went for a ride. He was driving, and heard the ticking. He told me the cobras do the same thing. He indicated it was the eqhuast resignating up and making noise... He said it was not an injector. He told me there is nothing to worry about. He said it has to do with the intake on the bullitt....

Doug

·
Registered
65 Posts
I to might have te same problem. I at first thought i kept running over things(almost sounds like a ran over something...a plastic bag for example) Now the noise is becoming more of nuisance. I have bee trying to pinpoint this noise all day. Its driving me nuts. I have come to believe it has something to do with the exhaust. However my bassani exhaust will be going on tomorrow. X-pipe and catback. I will posts and let you guys no if the ticking noise has disapeared.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the ticking noise too. It sounds just like my '73 Ford truck which has a leak in the exhaust manifold gasket. I'm not necessarily saying that I think my Bullitt has an exhaust leak, I'm just saying that the noise sounds just like an exhaust leak. I hate going to the dealer for something like that only to be told "oh, that's normal". I think that quote is used by technicians when a customer describes a noise, duplicates the noise for the tech, but happens to be having no serious problems with the car. Unless they can apply a TSB to the car, they write it off as "normal".

Hey, it's under warranty. I planned to call the dealer tomorrow morning but will now hold off because of Doug's post...thanks Doug for keeping us posted.

Regards,
Ed C

·
Registered
31 Posts
Almost forgot, what about the following TSB?:

Make: FORD Model: MUSTANG Year: 2001
Service Bulletin Number: 14628 Bulletin Sequence Number: 179
NHTSA Item Number: SB618000
Component: POWER TRAIN:TRANSMISSION:STANDARD:MANUAL
Summary:
VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE TRANSMISSION TICKING NOISE IN 1ST GEAR. *JB

Does this fit? And if so, what is the fix for this?

Ed C

1 - 20 of 41 Posts