Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its time for shocks and struts and im wondering what everyone here uses for replacement. right now i have stock springs and plan to keep them, and if i were to change them i would only drop it about a 1/2 to 1 inch MAX. i dont need anything crazy like 12 way adjustable shocks (but if you have them give me the name) and im not going with coil overs, even tho i plan for a tubular k member and control arms in the next 6 months. if stock is the best way to go then ill go with them but i just have been looking around and i see most things list except bullitt. i know the strut itself is a different diamiter.
thanks
jeff

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have the Tokico D-Specs on my bullitt and love them. They are adjustable, but you can get them for a pretty reasonable price at www.shox.com.

·
Car Whisperer
21,387 Posts
Bilsteins period.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Koni

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I'm running the Tokiko's but have heard nothing but good things about the Bilsteins as well. I don't think you could go wrong with either one. My only problem with the Tokiko's is that there an order only item. If you blow one, as I have, your stuck riding on a blown shock until a replacement can arrive or just park her.

·
Premium Member
6,225 Posts
You might as well have asked, "Hey, I'm going to have a beer, what should I drink?" You will get many, MANY different opinions on suspensions goodies. Are you just driving the car, or are you dragging it? Tracking it? That may be a factor in your decision. I don't know much about the circle track stuff, but if you want to drag it, I have the Strange 10-ways, and am very happy. Got them from Jegs. I know many who just wanted a stock replacement for the rear shocks and went to Autozone I think and picked up some Gabriel shocks and said they were better than stock...

Now go and drink some Guinness!!

·
Registered
618 Posts
If you want good shocks you should go with Bilsteins or Konis. I've been very happy with my Koni's. It depends on what kind of driving you do and plan to do. Either one is a huge upgrade over the stock GT damper and Bullitt damper. Both use Tokicos and the Bullitt has some different valving.

I don't think that I would pay for the stock dampers if I was looking for replacements. It also depends on what you are going to do with your car. not necessarily modifications but what kind of driving are we talking about. Are you just looking for something to cruise around town, rip of good 60' times, autocross, or track work. All of these factors play into your decision.

Also, if you go with a tubular k member, not many of them allow you to retain your stock style springs. Most require that you convert to coilovers. Some will allow you to retain the springs in the stock location, but I'm not sure that you will really want to get any of those.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the imput. i will see more 1/4 mile than auto cross track time but its going to be a street car for the most part. when i got it i planned on takin it out on weekeds and maby a night or to durring the week. ive had it for 5 months now and its still my dd because i just love it so much. i cant seem to park it and let it sit for more than a day or so at a time. its no fun driving my truck when i have :dhg01: sitting next to. plus all the ladies look at my car more than my lifted pickup.... and it gets 2x the mpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts