Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone check the tire pressure on their ZR tires yet(checked when dead cold with a good gauge)? My 4 tires were at 40 lbs. The sidewall MAX pressure is 44 lbs. The vehicle tire sticker states 30 to 32 lbs. As a additional note, some tire shops recommend setting optimum tire pressure at about 5 lbs below max pressure. When I had my 2000 Lightning, 2 seperate tire shops were both stating that all high performance tires should have the tire pressure set by the sidewall value. Interesting but I have some misgivings about this.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
I wondered about that too. I set mine at 35 psi cold. May be that Ford specifies 30-32 for a better ride on the 17 inch wheels.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To Mus408:
At 15000 miles the 295zr45x18 tires wore out on my Lightning. I convinced the dealer to replace them under warranty (which they did).
When the replacement tires arrived the dealer sent me to a tire shop for mounting. The tire shop was quite clear in telling me that BY keeping my tires at the RECOMMENDED pressure of 32 lbs they were UNDERinflated thus causing premature wear.They also quietly commented that this underinflation (even though correct to tire label)contributed to the Ford Explorer issues.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Don't know if this fits in as the info I got was from a '00 GT owner last week. He was told the tire pressure should be 34 front and 36 rear for the best handling. He did say he felt a SOTP difference when he did that. What effect it would have on ours with the different suspension I don't have a clue.......

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
in my 2 previous GT's i switched to 275/40's in the rear and kept 245/45's in front
in both of those AND my Bullitt, i've always run 35 lbs in rear and 32lbs in front

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine was delivered 38 - 39 lbs in all four. I also received a reply on another sight from a guy that told me the light blue tire valve caps that were on my Bullitt where suppose to be replaced by the dealer after they check for porper inflation. Anyone else have the light blue caps? Just curious. They look funny so I replaced them with crhome bullet shaped ones. They look good and get a good comments about them. You can ever get door lock knobs shaped like bullets from the same mfg.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I have the funky blue caps on mine still. Was thinking about aluminum ones but may just put black plastic on them. The weight of the aluminum ones on the rubber valve stems may be a problem at 150+.. :smile:

Brian

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yesterday sent an email to www.tirerack.com asking what is the "REAL" optimum tire pressure for our tires; is it better to go with the factory label tire (30-32lbs.) pressure OR determine some pressure value based on the sidewall (44 lbs max).
Their response was go with the factory sticker requirement. So for now I'm running
32 lbs cold and will observe tread ware behavior. I hope you folks only use a torque
wrench on these wheels. DrBullitt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts