Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a new set of tires for my '08 #2148. Got 30,000 out of the OEM's, they're pretty worn but the age cracks are really scary! From past posts I read it seems that for an upgrade, 255/45 is the optimum size for the original 18" rims (?). I'm not a track addict but have done the Sunday autocross at a few Goodguys shows. It's not a daily driver and I don't do rain or snow. Want something that looks good, handles well and south of $1000 for the set. Any suggestions? I was looking at America's Tire online and the Pirelli P Zeros seem to check all my boxes. Anybody have them?

·
Registered
33 Posts
if it's a summer driver car i highly recommend the Firestone firehawk Indy 500 tires.
IMO the best bang for the $$ tires on the market.
I just purchased a second set for my wife's Range Rover. Here in Florida, they are great in the rain, quiet, really sticky and a great value for the cost. Will consider them when I am due for tires on my car.

·
Registered
854 Posts

·
Car Whisperer
21,387 Posts
for the money, Nitto 555 G2's are a good value and good tires. Also, the Continental Extreme Contacts.

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
I just got back from an autocross with my '08 and was once again impressed with the Michelin PS4S tires I put on it. I went with 255/45-18 on the original rims. Without going to a dedicated autocross tire, I'm not sure there's a better tire out there. Tire rack has them right now for $250.99, so it gets pretty close to the sub $1000 criteria. The list of tires I've had on this and my '18 Mustang include Michelin Pilot Super Sport, Continental Extremecontact Sport, BFG Sport Comp 2 AS Plus and Falken RT660. The Falkens are my dedicated autocross tires (on the '18 until I get camber plates for the Bullitt) and significantly more expensive. Of the other tires, the PS4S are the best, and the BFGs are the cheapest. The BFGs are the only ones really designed to be used in 40F weather or colder. I've been pretty happy with them for the price, but it's definitely not quite as grippy as a summer-only tire. I won't buy another set of Contact Sports, as they cracked between the ribs at less than 4 years old and 10000 miles. Their grip was less than the PS4S, anyway. The Michelins have been worth the extra money in my book. They handle well, ride well and are quiet.

·
Car Whisperer
21,387 Posts
interesting, were your continentals you had the issue with the DSW'S? I have had a couple sets of those and never had an issue and grip was excellent, especially in the rain.

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
interesting, were your continentals you had the issue with the DSW'S? I have had a couple sets of those and never had an issue and grip was excellent, especially in the rain.
Automotive tire Tread Tire Wood Grey

Nope. They are Sports. They were the OE tires on the Roush.

·
Premium Member
2,891 Posts
The Michelin PSAS3 are a great all season tire and the PS4S are grippy and quiet. I've had Nitto 555's before, grippy but noisy.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Go w/the bigger tire- 255/45/18. They just look better on the stock wheel and give you almost an inch more tire width.

I've had all these types/brands of tires on my Stangs. In my experience:
-The Firehawks are a great value/performance price but at 10k, mine made so much noise, I couldn't wait to get them off the car. Too bad cuz they still had loads of rubber but I couldn't take the noise any more.
-The BFG's G-Force Sport Comp 2 were similar to the Firehawk performance-wise except more expensive than the Firehawks. By 20k, they were toast and roared like crazy.
- Had a set of Nitto 555s on a previous Stang, I seem to recall they were noisy but I sold the car before I could really tell you much more about them. From all I've read, there are better tires for the $$.
-I also had the Michelin Pilot Sport AS+3; great tire, outstanding performance for an all season tire but EXPENSIVE and again, were noisy & toasted before 30k.
- I currently have Michelin Pilot Sport 4's on the car in OE size; the previous owner installed them before selling me the car. They are, IMHO, a top notch tire for it but are big $$. There's less than 10k on them but they offer tremendous performance. Zero complaints w/them so far.

When it's time for new tires, I'll likely look at the General G-Max RS tire (General G-Max RS 255/45ZR18XL| Tirebuyer) mostly because I've had really good experiences w/General tires and these are well rated, particularly for the $$.

Good luck!
Lee

·
Registered
10 Posts
Need a new set of tires for my '08 #2148. Got 30,000 out of the OEM's, they're pretty worn but the age cracks are really scary! From past posts I read it seems that for an upgrade, 255/45 is the optimum size for the original 18" rims (?). I'm not a track addict but have done the Sunday autocross at a few Goodguys shows. It's not a daily driver and I don't do rain or snow. Want something that looks good, handles well and south of $1000 for the set. Any suggestions? I was looking at America's Tire online and the Pirelli P Zeros seem to check all my boxes. Anybody have them?
I came to IMBOC this morning to post this exact same question hahaha My DHG 08 (2947) has just over 5k miles on it on the original tires and I'd like to swap them out for something I don't mind getting into hard for the occasional track day. Just like StevesFordGarage, my car sees no rain or snow and is not a daily driver. Thanks for posting, StevesFordGarage!! And thanks to everyone for all the helpful replies.

StevesFordGarage: lemme know what tires you go with and I'll do the same.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm on my first set of Continental Extreme Contacts for the Bullitt (255/45) and I love them. I've had these same tires on a few other cars as well and have had nothing but good luck with them (2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon, 2009 Infiniti G37X Sport, and most recently on my wife's 2015 Ford Explorer Sport).

·
Registered
2019 DHG K6580
15 Posts
I have the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S' on my 2019 and love them. My daughter put the same on her 2008 Bullitt (255-45-18) and she says they are far and away worth the money. So another vote for the Michelins!

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Tire rack has them right now for $250.99, so it gets pretty close to the sub $1000 criteria.
Discount Tire ALWAYS has a whole raft of rebates going on, and they change monthly - or more frequently than that even. You can save a ton of money by just looking out for a promotional rebate. You can also get more discounts, and interest-free financing, if you open a Discount Tire charge account.

My father taught me long ago. "Buy the Good stuff and you'll only cry once." Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
I have the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S' on my 2019 and love them. My daughter put the same on her 2008 Bullitt (255-45-18) and she says they are far and away worth the money. So another vote for the Michelins!
I have 255/45 Pilot Sport 4S on my 08, and I'll agree, there's hardly a better summer street tire out there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I came to IMBOC this morning to post this exact same question hahaha My DHG 08 (2947) has just over 5k miles on it on the original tires and I'd like to swap them out for something I don't mind getting into hard for the occasional track day. Just like StevesFordGarage, my car sees no rain or snow and is not a daily driver. Thanks for posting, StevesFordGarage!! And thanks to everyone for all the helpful replies.

StevesFordGarage: lemme know what tires you go with and I'll do the same.
Wow! Thanks for all that input! IMBOC has been SO helpful and I appreciate it. Bottom line: I have decided to sell my B. At 76 years old, while still healthy and able to drive it well, it makes no sense to keep a $20K car I only drive once a year. Trying to simplify my life a little right now. I just did, however, replace the tires along with doing all the services (all fluids and filters) needed so the new owner can just DRIVE IT. Tire decision: If I was keeping it, the Michelin PS4S would be my choice. I did read a lot of good things about the Pirelli P Zeros, (tests on TireRack) they look, feel and sound great, and lots cheaper. They’re good road tires (500 wear rating) and the new owner will have the option of getting a sticky set with wheels for autocross or track days. I’ll have it at the Goodguys Del Mar show this weekend with for sale signs. If I still have it next week, it will be in Steve’s Car Lot and maybe BAT. Asking $23,500. ‘08 Highland Green #2148. Just under 30k miles, completely serviced and NICE! Thanks again, all! Steve (The other one.)

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I thought I would add my 2cents here (worth less than a penny these days). If budget is an issue, check out the "Poor Man's Michelin", Uniroyal. Specially the Uniroyal Tiger Paw GTZ. These are UHP (Ultra High Performance) All Season tires and available in 255/45/18 and can be purchased through the Ford Dealer (at least around here). Uniroyal is owned by Michelin and the tires are manufactured on Michelin molds and designed by Michelin engineers so the term "Poor Man's Michelin". I have never tracked these tires (yet) so I can't comment on their track abilities but I have be really happy with these for daily driving. I have also put them on several other vehicles including wifey's '10 V6 Mustang. To me, this seems like a good comprise to the much higher priced Michelin.

Reactions: bullit4404

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I thought I would add my 2cents here (worth less than a penny these days). If budget is an issue, check out the "Poor Man's Michelin", Uniroyal. Specially the Uniroyal Tiger Paw GTZ. These are UHP (Ultra High Performance) All Season tires and available in 255/45/18 and can be purchased through the Ford Dealer (at least around here). Uniroyal is owned by Michelin and the tires are manufactured on Michelin molds and designed by Michelin engineers so the term "Poor Man's Michelin". I have never tracked these tires (yet) so I can't comment on their track abilities but I have be really happy with these for daily driving. I have also put them on several other vehicles including wifey's '10 V6 Mustang. To me, this seems like a good comprise to the much higher priced Michelin.
I remember the Uniroyal TigerPaw from ‘back in the day’! Haven’t heard that name in a long time. If I remember correctly (which is kind of in unlikely) it had a good rep with muscle cars. My Pirelli P Zeros are doing well and I’m pleased for the price.

Reactions: bullit4404
1 - 20 of 20 Posts