Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The coast is still in recovery mode from Huricane Katrina, and I should have expected it earlier, but today at about 2500 miles, I'm pumping gas and I see a roofing screw at the junction of the sidewall and treads (shoulder?) of my rear tire.....anyone read anything into the standard tire warranty, off of the showroom floor, concerning roadside hazards..that might cover it?

Anyone suggest some type of repair attempt, if only to use as a possible spare?

Whats a replacement tire going to run...anyone running good deals?

·
Registered
651 Posts
If its up on the sidewall, I don't think you'll find anyone to repair it. At least, not in my experience. Check with the dealer about any sort of roadside warranty; don't the new Mustangs have 5 yr/60K roadside assistance?

Oh, BTW, welcome to IMBOC! I completely missed that you're in the same area I am. Have I seen your car in the D'Iberville area?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll try the on line route to check prices...

RayS...yeah, I've been in D'Iberville since around November, and began noticing the Bullitt sitting on the lot at Astro-Ford sometime after March....and picked it up in May

·
Registered
969 Posts
XnarX,
being in the construction industry for most of my life, i have experienced alot of different kinds of tire "wounds" over the years. persaonally, with any type of puncture that is small enough, even in the sidewall which i understand is the weakest part of the tire, i have used regular tire plugs many times with much success. i keep a plug kit and a mini compressor in all of my vehichles for that matter. i have had tires go over 30,000 miles with a plug in the sidewall positioned closer to the rim than you are describing as in your case without fail. and i have learned over the years that tire shops will not do this type of repair for liability/safety reasons. i would be remiss if i did not include the fact the above wouuld apply to my worktruck and sedan type autos and not on a sports car like the bullitt. if it were me and i had a puncture in one of my tires where you have described, i would plug it and go on, as this is my comfort level. one remedy might be to get a new tire and come up with a rim for the punctured tire to be pluged and used as a spare. please take what i have said here with a grain of salt, and choose the remedy that you feel the safest with.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Most tire repair shops I've come across won't repair a sidewall. One of the first things I did when I picked up my Bullitt was to get road hazard warranties for the tires from Discount Tire. I can't recall what I paid by it is typically 10% of the purchase cost for full replacement warranty. I would doubt the car warranty will cover a road hazzard.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have done a lot of stupid stuff in my time but I will not patch the side wall of a tire. The flex that the side wall goes thought during driving is much different than the tread the tread it thicker and better reinforced. The risk to the costly rims is enough to have me buying the $73 tire and drive happy.
Just for the record I have a plug-patch on one of my tires so I am not anti patch just not in the sidewall. YMMV

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Why not use the opportunity to get some stickier and wider rubber under there? Maybe start with 2 in the rear and go on?

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Buy one tire, don't waste the effort on plugging. Performance tires have allot of sidewall flex, the cord will bite the plug right out of the tire in no time at all. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Just my $.02.

·
Banned
1,313 Posts
BiteTheBullitt0793 said:
XnarX,
being in the construction industry for most of my life, i have experienced alot of different kinds of tire "wounds" over the years. persaonally, with any type of puncture that is small enough, even in the sidewall which i understand is the weakest part of the tire, i have used regular tire plugs many times with much success. i keep a plug kit and a mini compressor in all of my vehichles for that matter. i have had tires go over 30,000 miles with a plug in the sidewall positioned closer to the rim than you are describing as in your case without fail. and i have learned over the years that tire shops will not do this type of repair for liability/safety reasons. i would be remiss if i did not include the fact the above wouuld apply to my worktruck and sedan type autos and not on a sports car like the bullitt. if it were me and i had a puncture in one of my tires where you have described, i would plug it and go on, as this is my comfort level. one remedy might be to get a new tire and come up with a rim for the punctured tire to be pluged and used as a spare. please take what i have said here with a grain of salt, and choose the remedy that you feel the safest with.
I agree with you. I have had great sucess with Walmart tire plugs and used them MANY times. If it were mine and the puncture was where the sidewall meets the tread I would use a plug in a red hot second and not even worry about it. If the puncture was squarley in the sidewall I would take it to a couple of tire shops for their opinion. It has been my experience that these plugs if installed as per the directions WILL NOT COME OUT! I have used 2 or 3 dozen of these over the years.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
It is actually illegal for a tire repair facility to plug OR repair a sidewall.I have plugged many tires where the tread meets the sidewall but never had to put a plug directly in a sidewall but would to get off the road,Or at least take it easy until a new tire arrives.If you exceed the speed limit on a daily basis as I do,Buy a tire NOW!:lol: Hell at $73 I would buy a few for burnout competition.that has got to be the cheapest high speed rated 18 inch tire available,Price wise.BFG makes some pretty decent stuff.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
08 Shifter said:
It is actually illegal for a tire repair facility to plug OR repair a sidewall.I have plugged many tires where the tread meets the sidewall but never had to put a plug directly in a sidewall but would to get off the road,Or at least take it easy until a new tire arrives.If you exceed the speed limit on a daily basis as I do,Buy a tire NOW!:lol: Hell at $73 I would buy a few for burnout competition.that has got to be the cheapest high speed rated 18 inch tire available,Price wise.BFG makes some pretty decent stuff.
I agree with that. If a plug gets you going to get somewhere for a proper fix, that's one thing.

Never mind sidewall, many tire shops won't put a plug anywhere in a tire these days. You can thank Lawyers.

Our tires regularly show up at pretty good prices.

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
39,319 Posts
XnarX said:
The coast is still in recovery mode from Huricane Katrina, and I should have expected it earlier, but today at about 2500 miles, I'm pumping gas and I see a roofing screw at the junction of the sidewall and treads (shoulder?) of my rear tire.....anyone read anything into the standard tire warranty, off of the showroom floor, concerning roadside hazards..that might cover it?

Anyone suggest some type of repair attempt, if only to use as a possible spare?

Whats a replacement tire going to run...anyone running good deals?
I would opt for a new tire and patch the damaged one to use as a spare (as suggested above). Don't sacrifice safety for economy. My nickel's worth.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts