Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stock tire size is 245/45 17's on our stock 17X8 rims. My question is, would a 255/45 fit correctly on the stock rims? I know a 255 is wider than a 245 and I was wondering if the tire would bulge out or just look stupid. What size tires would you guys recommend?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I wouldn't recomend 275's on the 8 in rims. A buddy of mine has that setup and the tires bulge quite a bit. He is the process of finding some wider rims.

As a side note, does anyone know where to find some Bullitt replica 17 x 11 rims? I have a craving for some 315's.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I wouldn't doubt it.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I agree with the previous comments. You can usually go 20 mm to 30 mm wider than OEM tires without any problems, although 30 mm may be pushing it in some applications. Keep in mind that by changing the width of the tire you are also increasing the diameter (and messing up the speedometer calibration somewhat) unless you drop to a lower aspect ratio (say from 45 to 35). A 275-45-17 is over 1" taller than a 245-45-17. The tire guys call this plus sizing when you increase wheel diameter and add width but lower aspect ratio to keep the overall diameter about the same as OEM. You might want to check out some of the websites of the tire places that advertise in the car mags. They usually have tech sections that give info on what all the numbers mean and how they relate and what to look out for. I like www.tirerack.com. They have a tire tech section that is accessed from the tire icon.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
i've used 274/40's on stock rims on my last 2 GT's and LOVED them. same size rims as our Bullitts
you can do a comparison at www.tirerack.com and see that the total circumference of a 275/40 is within a couple of milimeters of a 245/45.
makes virtually NO difference on MPH or total mileage they are so close!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts