Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get Bridgestone Potenza S-03 tires and want to go a bit wider to accomidate the added power of Vortech supercharger as well as better handling. They only make 255 or 265/40/17. Not sure how wide I can go.
Any sugestions? Info on tires at
http://www.bridgestone-usa.com/

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Either will probably work with the 8 inch wheel, although they probably recommend wider. A 255 or 265/40 will likely be a little shorter than the 245/45's.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I am wanting to put a 275/40ZR17 on my bullitt rims. The tire calculator on line didn't protest when I did that combination. Does anyone know for sure if that will work. I know that 275's work on 17X9 rims, but how about the 8 inch. If anyone can help with that I would be thankful.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
They will work. I have seen sevaral cars with them on 8" wheels. The question is, how effective are they? I can't answer that. I have a pair of 275/40/17 Nittos DR's myself, but have held off on putting them on the Bullitt wheels so far.

·
Registered
20 Posts
255/45-17's are slightly taller than stock. 275/40's are the exact height as the 245's but are a bit too wide to put on an 8" wheel. They will work but will be really sucked in and probably won't look much bigger than stock. Also, a 275 in the front will rub for sure.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
ok, i know not everyone agrees with me BUT...
i used 275/40's on the rear wheels of my 97 GT AND 99 GT (same 17" wheel size as Bullitt) and loved every minute of them and never had a problem. they handled fantastic in the dry. in wet and especially snow, you get more tendency for hydroplaning or "plowing" with a wider 275/40 tire .....common sense.
it has been noted at this site that using 275/40's on stock rims tends to "push the sidewall out" from the wheel just a little more than stock. but if you buy a top of the line tire, i still believe your dry performance improves.
i got Dunlop Sport SP5000's from Tire Rack on my 99 GT and they are the best high performance all weather tire i've owned so far. check out tire rack's website and play with all the tire and size combinations
http://www.tirerack.com
(no, i don't work there)

2001 Bullitt DHG #648
Ford Racing Alum. Driveshaft
Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter, K & N Filter,
MGW LTD-All custom Satin Bullitt Bits & Pieces

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mystang99 on 2001-10-29 16:05 ]</font>

·
Registered
41 Posts
A 275 is almost exactly 10 inches wide, giving an inch of overhang on each side.. Stronger walled tires should loose little to no performance.. And it's also good at preventing curb rash.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thx for all the info I think im going to go ahead w/ the 265/40's. hope i don't have any prob w/ rubbing in the front's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts