Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to head to the strip for the first time with a guy from work who just bought a Pontiac G8 GT. I am anticipating that he should beat me by a small margin. In order to prevent this from happening, I am pondering a pair of DR. Is it reasonable to expect DR to cut my ET by ~.2 seconds? If I get them, what technique to heat them up before the run? Should I get 245 or 275 for my stock 8" wheels? Note: my car is mostly stock with Pro-Chamber, JLT CAI, 50 series Flowmasters, 3.73 gears and SCT Xcal3 w/ box tune. Is there anything else fairly simple or relatively cheap that will help lower my ET?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Should be a Close one ...............

TRUEBLUE3934 said:
I'm planning to head to the strip for the first time with a guy from work who just bought a Pontiac G8 GT. I am anticipating that he should beat me by a small margin. In order to prevent this from happening, I am pondering a pair of DR. Is it reasonable to expect DR to cut my ET by ~.2 seconds? If I get them, what technique to heat them up before the run? Should I get 245 or 275 for my stock 8" wheels? Note: my car is mostly stock with Pro-Chamber, JLT CAI, 50 series Flowmasters, 3.73 gears and SCT Xcal3 w/ box tune. Is there anything else fairly simple or relatively cheap that will help lower my ET?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!
Hey Joe,

I did read where you said (Fairly Cheap) or (Simple) to increase my "Chances".

This is NOT real Cheap but it will certainly put you in the Ball Game..........

FRPP 4:10 Gears !!!!!!!!

Also I would suggest a Real (Brenspeed 93 or 91 Performance Tune) according

to the Gas available where you live.

See this Thread:

http://www.imboc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161204&highlight=tigerhonaker+4:10+gear+info

I just rode in a New GT G8 and it was Fast off the Line........

Quote from Inside-Line on Test:

Let's Do the Math
Doug Houlihan, GM's global vehicle chief engineer based in Melbourne, Australia, told us his car should run from zero to 60 mph in 5.3 seconds and cover the quarter-mile in 13.8 seconds at 101 mph.

Seemed about right. The Super Bee we tested ran to 60 mph in 5.3 seconds and the quarter-mile in 13.6 seconds at 106 mph. We hadn't tested this red 2008 Pontiac G8 GT yet, but Steve's Bee had us by a fender at 60 mph and 105 mph.

The next morning at our test track, the G8 GT ran as expected, perfectly splitting Houlihan's numbers and the Bee's previous performance. The Pontiac launches to 60 mph in 5.4 seconds and covers the quarter-mile in 13.7 seconds at 104 mph.

The Bullitt is like 5.1 0-60 MPH and I think like 13.7 in the 1/4 Mile ???????

Hey, go do your thing and see how it goes.........

I bet you will have fun..........

tigerhonaker

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
If you practice how to drive your Bullitt,you shouldn't have too much trouble out running the GT-8. It is a heavy car,and has less power than the GTO had.

·
Registered
394 Posts
DR's should take .2 off your et. I would go with a 275/40 over the 245/45. When I ran my DR's I started at 28 psi and adjusted from there.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Going from stock with street tires to 4.10's with ET streets I dropped .7 sec in the 1/4 and I know it's got more in it. You should pick up at least the .2 because you'll be able to leave the line hard instead of babying it. Def get the DR's. With your gears, street radials just will not do at the track.

And yes to the 275's. Drag radials tend to run on the narrow side it seems.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
ran my stock 2001 bullitt at the track last month..ran a 14.08 on street tires..that alone would beet that pontiac

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chrisW said:
ran my stock 2001 bullitt at the track last month..ran a 14.08 on street tires..that alone would beet that pontiac
I was guessing a stock Bullitt should be good for about 14.0. With all due respect, the stock G8 GT should go about 13.75 @ ~104mph. That is why I suspect he may beat me by a slight margin on my stock street tires.

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
TRUEBLUE3934 said:
I was guessing a stock Bullitt should be good for about 14.0. With all due respect, the stock G8 GT should go about 13.75 @ ~104mph. That is why I suspect he may beat me by a slight margin on my stock street tires.
Hi Joe,

You are thinking correct..........

That car is just as fast as the Stock Bullitt...........

The difference is his is a Automatic and it will be really hard for him to mess up.

On the other hand the Bullitt is a Manual and unless you are use to Drag Racing

it is going to be difficult to Launch the Bullitt and then go through the Gears

without Banging the Rev-Limiter.

That my Friend is just the way it is on the Drag Strip........

But as I said in the other Post here, go do your thing and don't worry about Loosing.

Just do your very best and remember, (Practice-Makes-Perfect) in Drag Racing !!!!!

Just keep this in mind. If you change tires then you are not running a stock

Bullitt any longer. You have altered what came on the Bullitt from the Factory.

So, is WINNING more important than just taking what came from Ford and doing your

best with No-Regrets afterwards.

I say run what you have and then you will not be ashamed of the results..........

That is My-Honest 2-Cents..............

Good Luck Big-Guy and go have Fun at the Strip !!!!!!!!!!!!!

tigerhonaker

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would recommend running a couple of drags before you go head to head with your buddy, just so you can get a feel for the track. Taking off from the line with those stock tires will be the biggest challenge... go easy and then nail it.
On my first run against an automatic, I just sat and spun the wheels. The automatics don't have much to think about, but you will. Good luck and have fun!

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Well you never know what will happen,and his automatic,might be an advantage.
I raced my friend's 2007 Mustang GT,stock setup,other than exhaust and tune,with my'01 Bullitt with 3.73,headers and tune, out ran him all four runs. Of course he was having to learn how to launch off the line,without going up in smoke.
Now he has 4.10 gears,and get's to use more of that 3V top end!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
And for what it's worth I ran a 13.7 at I think 94mph with just 4.10's, an o/r X pipe, and E/T Streets in the Texas heat in April. In cooler/better air like now I'm sure my mph would be up and my E/T would be down. Stock 01's generally trap around 100 mph, so not sure what my deal was. With D/R's you should have no problems with that Pontiac. I remember a guy on here with bone stock '01 and D/R's that ran a 13.3.

·
Banned
1,313 Posts
Hey Garrett

Are there any good Mustang mechanics in Wichita that you would recommend that could do , cams, gears and or longtube headers? Nobody over here in Pratt that I know of that's worth a damn. Sorry for the hijack....Carry on!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
terminal speed

itsabullitt said:
And for what it's worth I ran a 13.7 at I think 94mph with just 4.10's, an o/r X pipe, and E/T Streets in the Texas heat in April. In cooler/better air like now I'm sure my mph would be up and my E/T would be down. Stock 01's generally trap around 100 mph, so not sure what my deal was. With D/R's you should have no problems with that Pontiac. I remember a guy on here with bone stock '01 and D/R's that ran a 13.3.
Keep in mind that while lower gearing will result in a quicker et, it will frequently result in lower terminal speeds.

·
Banned
1,313 Posts
vanislebullitt said:
Keep in mind that while lower gearing will result in a quicker et, it will frequently result in lower terminal speeds.
That only happens in Canada!:lol: US Bullitts are just faster all round.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
vanislebullitt said:
Never happened with mine. The quicker it got, the faster it went.

As for the original question, will they help and how to heat them. Definitely they will help, and should be worth 2 to 3 tenths if you have know how to use them. If they are Nittos, you have to heat the **** out of them. I do a solid 7-9 second burnout in 2nd gear, then let go of the brake and let it roll out and stage. I run the 275's on 9" wheels, but I would likely go with them on 8" wheels as well. I have hooked the best at about 14psi in the tires, but you really need to experiment with this. Air up the front tires to about 40-45psi. I agree with going and getting some runs in before matching up against your friend. There is about a 95% chance your second outing will be much better than your first. That alone will be worth more than the drag radials.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
onefastbob said:
Hey Garrett

Are there any good Mustang mechanics in Wichita that you would recommend that could do , cams, gears and or longtube headers? Nobody over here in Pratt that I know of that's worth a damn. Sorry for the hijack....Carry on!
PM sent

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the input!
Here is how it went down... keep in mind that this was both of our first time at the track with our cars.

Head to head 3 times. Temp was right at 73 degrees.
His G8 GT is bone stock. Bullitt currently has K&N filter, Catted X-pipe, 3.73 gear, original stock tires w/ 33,000 miles on them.

1st run:
Bullitt G8 GT
R/T .362 .765
60' 2.372 2.179
1/4 14.232 14.050
mph 101.12 101.27 WON this one only by hole shot

2nd run:
R/T .140 .235
60' 2.279 2.142
1/4 13.912 13.993
mph 101.90 101.42 Beat him off the line and out ran him

3rd run:
R/T .072 .082
60' 2.179 2.166
1/4 13.752 13.939
mph 102.24 101.71 Both cut good lights, but simply out ran him

His car was very consistent, but he improved with each run. I also seemed to get better with each run. I had VERY LITTLE tire spin and nailed the shifts each time. I love to hear it make a good bark of the tires going into 4th at ~90mph.
Obviously, I could gain a fair amount by running some DRs. I have a Pro-Chamber & JLT CAI on the way. I think I may try again with just those 2 changes and see if I can break a 13.65 w/ the original tires. I was VERY pleased with the 13.75 on the old dry tires.

This was a lot of fun and we will go back in about 4 weeks once he gets his cat back installed and I get my Pro-Chamber and CAI.

Sorry about the poor spacing on the data. It doesn't seem to keep the blank spaces I used to align the data vertically.

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
TRUEBLUE3934 said:
Thanks for all the input!
Here is how it went down... keep in mind that this was both of our first time at the track with our cars.

Head to head 3 times. Temp was right at 73 degrees.
His G8 GT is bone stock. Bullitt currently has K&N filter, Catted X-pipe, 3.73 gear, original stock tires w/ 33,000 miles on them.

1st run:
Bullitt G8 GT
R/T .362 .765
60' 2.372 2.179
1/4 14.232 14.050
mph 101.12 101.27 WON this one only by hole shot

2nd run:
R/T .140 .235
60' 2.279 2.142
1/4 13.912 13.993
mph 101.90 101.42 Beat him off the line and out ran him

3rd run:
R/T .072 .082
60' 2.179 2.166
1/4 13.752 13.939
mph 102.24 101.71 Both cut good lights, but simply out ran him

His car was very consistent, but he improved with each run. I also seemed to get better with each run. I had VERY LITTLE tire spin and nailed the shifts each time. I love to hear it make a good bark of the tires going into 4th at ~90mph.
Obviously, I could gain a fair amount by running some DRs. I have a Pro-Chamber & JLT CAI on the way. I think I may try again with just those 2 changes and see if I can break a 13.65 w/ the original tires. I was VERY pleased with the 13.75 on the old dry tires.

This was a lot of fun and we will go back in about 4 weeks once he gets his cat back installed and I get my Pro-Chamber and CAI.

Sorry about the poor spacing on the data. It doesn't seem to keep the blank spaces I used to align the data vertically.
Joe,

Congrats on the Fun time at the Drag Strip !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice going............

tigerhonaker

1 - 20 of 21 Posts