Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi bullittheads:
i keep hearing how you guys/gals can make your tires chirp, even in third gear, what is the rpm your are shifting at? how do you do it correctly? i know i need more practice and also the trac control is turned off when i tried it.

thanks,
ron

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
ahh young bullitthopper,.....with time you shall acquire the talent of the ancient ways of tire chirping..(said in oriental tones) until then just rev up the motor and drop the clutch :smile: :smile: :razz:

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I'll chirp the tires headed out of the garage-- in reverse! These Goodyears aren't gonna last me very long.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i've gotten them to chirp going in 3rd a few times... so i think i'm qualified to answer

the secret is getting the RPM's right up to redline (6100 or so) and SLAMMING the next gear, quickly and cleanly :smile:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I suppose a Steeda Tri-Ax shifter would make this even easier, especially the 2-3 shift. Don't have one... just what I've picked up from the various postings.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I did a third scratch once or twice... Do I get a new name instead of bullitthopper? lol

Los
#3753 True Blue

·
Registered
121 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-21 22:25, Los wrote:
I did a third scratch once or twice... Do I get a new name instead of bullitthopper? lol

Los
#3753 True Blue
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Sure thing, Screech! :razz:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've gotten the rears on my Bullitt to break loose on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts many a time. My passengers (who have usually just made the mistake of asking me if my car is fast) all seem to sink in their seat and grab the door handle as the rear end of the car dances to the left and then jumps forward when we get traction back. I get her up to about 5k and just pop the clutch as I slam her home. I like to think of the chirps as my car approving and saying, "Do it again, I dare ya." And who am I to say no.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I can get 2nd gear shifts to spin enough to slide the car sideways.

3rd gear is just a bark.

But, I shifted up at 80mph in the wet and got enought spin to turn the traction control on. The car got a few degrees out.

That was scary.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I WAS seeing this girl until she told me that Mustangs aren't all that. This coming from an Accord owner! I had her, myself, and three others in the back( tight fit). When she said that I gunned it and started to spin out in first, second and then got a chirp in third when just before the T/C kicked in. I did this in my last Mustang '01 GT, maybe I should try it again on this one, Iknow it would be even more fun. Needless to say she kept her mouth shut from there and had a big grin. So I gve it another run.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
"chirped" into 3rd with 5 people in the car?that would indeed be "all that"

·
Registered
360 Posts
I considered it a victory the first time I chirped in 3rd. 5000 RPM's and a hard, fast shift do it every time :smile:

PS Catsmasher, I know plenty of guys who can't keep their mouths shut either.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I did a 3rd gear scratch shifting at around 5500 rpm. That's the usual 3rd gear shift point so I thought I'd share that. My new name is screech! hahahahah.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Just a word of caution to one who's been there…make sure the road conditions are safe for this kind of fun. I too like to chirp the tires once in a while but it's easy to get out of control REAL FAST. Check out the memorial to my 88GT on my web page to see the results. That car was ten years old and like brand-new…boy was I pissed off at myself.

Keep it safe

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I haven't been able to get the tires to chirp from 2nd to 3rd but I havent really tried that hard. I'm glad everyone else seems to have done it with some eeees.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rodsbullitt on 2001-08-23 04:24 ]</font>

·
Registered
360 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-22 23:35, hblattel wrote:
Just a word of caution to one who's been there?make sure the road conditions are safe for this kind of fun. I too like to chirp the tires once in a while but it's easy to get out of control REAL FAST. Check out the memorial to my 88GT on my web page to see the results. That car was ten years old and like brand-new?boy was I pissed off at myself.

Keep it safe

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, Henry, a very sobering post! I'm just glad you survived.

·
Registered
360 Posts
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullittgirl on 2001-08-23 11:27 ]</font>

·
Registered
33 Posts
Depending on the surface 3rd is an every time event. The red line is just about perfect, get it up there just TAP the clutch, don't let of the gas, slam the next gear as you tap, with the stock shifter it is a breeze, much nicer than the 98 Vette 6 speed! the car will do the rest, watch for the kick out. It is fun stuff but hard on the drive train!! Clunk?!?!?!?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts