Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, I know that there are a ton of choices, and to someone that thier intrests has lied in sports and video games through-out his life, a lot of car mods and things of the sort are all greek to me. Hence not even knowing where the Trac switch was on my car.

I used to do a lot of work on my older cars when I was younger, but I stopped that back in early 2000 I think. Just got tired of it.

So my question is this. Tires. I bought the car with Kumho Ecsta Supras already on the vehicle. I popped a tire on my way back from Memphis a couple months ago, and found out that they don't even make the Ecsta Supra's anymore. I had to settle with Kumho Ecstas SPT's. I'm happy with the tire since the weather has gotten bad, but looks wise, it's something to be desired.

I saw a picture of the Goodyear Eagle F1's and that treat pattern is virtually the same as the Supra's used to be. But I couldn't find them in the 45ZR17's.

Now the next question is, what would I need to do to get 18's on the car. The goodyears do come in that size and I had planned on getting 18's anyway.

Which brings the third question up. I like the pictures I have seen with the deep dish rims on the back, and the regular ones on the front. How do I go about doing that?

I know lots of questions, but I want to be good to my Bullitt, and what better people to ask then you fine friends here?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
If it were me I would get a set of winter tires to put on the stock wheels if you drive the car in the winter time. Then get a set of 18's with the F1's for your good weather set. The F1's are a great tire and I haven't heard anything but good about them, but I wouldn't spend a bunch of money on brand new deep dish 18" wheels just to run the risk of sliding into a curb or something on the ice. High performance tires generally don't do well in the snow and ice. You would want to get tires that are designed to be used in winter weather.

·
Registered
121 Posts
itsabullitt said:
If it were me I would get a set of winter tires to put on the stock wheels if you drive the car in the winter time. Then get a set of 18's with the F1's for your good weather set. The F1's are a great tire and I haven't heard anything but good about them, but I wouldn't spend a bunch of money on brand new deep dish 18" wheels just to run the risk of sliding into a curb or something on the ice. High performance tires generally don't do well in the snow and ice. You would want to get tires that are designed to be used in winter weather.

+1 on that

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll be driving the Bullitt until mid January when I buy a new 2008 Tahoe. Then the Bullitt will be put in the garage for winter and nasty days. So I'm not really worried about the winter tires anymore. Won't be really used then.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
If you really want 18s call MRTracing and get 18x9s and 18x10s and go from there.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
I agree with Mike your best bet is to call MRT and order the wheels you want and go from there.

You lesser expensive route may be to go to e-bay and order a complete set there are plenty out there.

I got a really decent set of 18x9's for the front and 18x10's for the back off of e-bay for under $500 with shipping included in that price then I order a set of Eagle F1 GS-D3's from the tire rack, that was the painfull part as they were far more than what the wheels were.

Here was my link from last February when they all came in.

http://www.imboc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138700

And I just realized that I never posted any pictures of the before and after but they do look cool as all hell! I went with the anthricites and they really set the car off.

Also if you drive your car in the winter I would invest in a good set of Blizzaks.

Good luck and post some picks when you get there.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
I dont know what size tires you are looking for but i have tried a few different kinds of tires so far. I have to recomend Nitto 555's and BFG KD tires. I have the nitto's in the front of my car and the BFG's in the back. tread pattern is almost exactly the same. Just thought i would throw out some options or ideas for the future. the nitto's don't come in a bigger size than 295's i believe. but thats for 17 inch. i don't think its bigger for 18 inch though.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. I'll be looking into all of these.

But i do have one silly question. What is the difference between 18x9 and 18x10? Like I said, it's all greek to me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes, 9" and 10" is the width of the wheel. I noticed on the MRT site, wheel spacers. Under what applications would you use them? Do you need them on the MRT wheels?

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
You can also check American Muscle for the wheels. They can also hook you up with a tire/wheel package.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
devveldogg said:
Yes, 9" and 10" is the width of the wheel. I noticed on the MRT site, wheel spacers. Under what applications would you use them? Do you need them on the MRT wheels?
For one you can use the spacers on the stock 17x8s on the back if you dont like the tucked under look of the factory. I used them on my stock wheels until i got the 18s. If you road race they can also be used to widen the stance and help with handling. Alot of road racers use them on front and back.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
BTW the 1 inch spacers put the rear wheels out an inch farther thus putting the wheel and tire more in line with the wheelwell opening. Even with the stock 245/45s on the back it looks alot better. I would post some pics of that setup but so sorry i dont have any. My sig shows the 18x9 and 18x10s, the tires on the back are BFGKDWs size 275/35s, fronts are 245/40s. Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I purchased my wheel/tire setup from MRT. They ordered and installed everything. Ask for Dan Garn at MRT and tell him Bill Flynn sent you!

Sometimes with aftermarket wheels the inside of tires rub suspension parts, therefore a spacer is great.

Some people want their tires to hang out the side of body so they can throw dirt and rocks on the side of their cars while they look cool. :shock:

IMHO, they are a uncertain mod that many shy away from unless it's a necesity for aftermarket wheel clearance.:confused:
<!-- / message -->

·
Registered
423 Posts
checked different forums for used parts. you might be able to find deep dish bullitt wheels for cheap new or used. 18's cost more than 17's tire wise. i used to have the deep dish on my 04 gt in black and regulars in the front. i like them and they were very sharp looking. the biggest tires you can put in the back on the deep dish 18x10 was like 315 i think. some don't want that big, makes you alittle slower, but i did it for the looks. i had 275 in the back and it was fine but i could have easily done 295 no prob. in the front still the 245 on 18 reg. i bought my wheels from a guy that still owns his bullitt. he order the wheels he sold me and realized later that he wanted the black chrome ones so i got a real good deal. i paid 100 bucks per wheel new in box. good luck and search alot of places before you buy it. also americanmuscles gives us a percent off i think so check on that too. rpmoutlet has some good prices too.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I think I have decided that I'm going to get 18x9 on the front and 18x10 on the back. I'm going to get the BFG KDW's for both the front and back.

Now, would spacers be good for me? Or will I not need them. And how will I know exactly what size tire I need? Meaning speed rating and all that? I see another person has 275/35's on the rear and 245/45's on the front. What about the rest of the numbers?

I'm kinda excited about this! lol.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Bullitt 736 said:
No spacers needed. I have 265-35-18 and 295-35-18. I think 275 is too narrow for the 10" rim. 275 will look nice on the 9" front. I think the 245 Mike has is a KDW whick is a little wider than other brands and looks ok on the 9". Any other brand that size on that rim will NOT look good.
Ditto on the no spacers for the 18s, I have the BFGKDWS and the 275/35s on the back are being replaced with 285/40s, I want more sidewall and they are a little wider. The 245/40s on the front are fine but you can go a little bigger on the 9 inch up front. Will probably replace those with 265/40s.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts