Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting ready to head for Hallett Raceway for some track time and while pulling a rear tire to bleed the brakes I ran into this:

I did a little looking for a replacement Super Sport and as most of you know, it's been replaced by the Pilot Sport 4S. There are a few leftover ones, but the nearest one was half way across the country and wouldn't give me a chance to run my car at all this weekend. After some contemplation, I decided to order a set of 4 new tires for it. I decided on the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and jumped from the stock P235/50R18 to P255/45R18. They're nearly the same diameter and the 255 is about 3/4" wider. According to Tire Rack, it's also more suited for an 8.5" rim than the original 235 was. I got them ordered and continued to get the brakes bled. In order to test the brakes, I decided to throw on one of the old tires (also a Pilot Super Sport) and go find a deserted road for some quick stops. The tires I have been running are date coded from 2015 and the old tire was from 2011. Since I was just about to take the tires off, I decided to burn a little rubber off of them. They do make a bit of smoke. Here's the PSA (Public Service Announcement). When it came time to pull them off, I found the old tire had done this:

It looked like that pretty much around the whole tire. The newer tires didn't show any chunking like this. This tire had looked really good and there was a significant amount of tread left as you can see by what's left. It might not have done this if I hadn't given them a bit of abuse, but it was a little scary what happened to it. I see this a being completely a function of how old the tire was and not any fault of the tire construction. The original BFG's would most likely do the same thing. It was just about time to change the tires out anyway, as 5 years is about the lifespan of a tire that gets used like these do. So, the moral of the story is make sure your tires are in good shape before you start playing around, and age is definitely a factor.

Here's a shot of what I put on:

I'm looking forward to getting them out on the track and see what they can do.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Good report Steve. When the tires dry out, they will chunk like that, and eventually throw the cord.
Nice nail job. If it was an inch further to the center, it could have been repaired from the inside,
You'll like the 4s. I'd recommend you heat cycle them once and let them cool off. That should stabilize the tread compound. Have fun!

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Was looking at the PS4s for a dual duty road-track tire but ended up putting a set of Re71r's on my original rims and now I get to change my tires back and forth and haul them in the car to the track. Sometimes I wonder why I didn't just get the PS4's lol.

Friends up at Hallett said it was raining today, that's the best, hope you had a blast!

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was looking at the PS4s for a dual duty road-track tire but ended up putting a set of Re71r's on my original rims and now I get to change my tires back and forth and haul them in the car to the track. Sometimes I wonder why I didn't just get the PS4's lol.

Friends up at Hallett said it was raining today, that's the best, hope you had a blast!

Those Re71r's should be really good. We'll see if these are any better than the Super Sports were. I was already pretty impressed with those.

I finally got the tires at about 3:30 this afternoon, so I never made it to Hallett. I heard it was pretty rainy, too. I'm still debating whether to drive 4 1/2 hours tomorrow for the drag strip. There wouldn't be any doubt I'm going, but they're showing a 50-70 percent chance of rain all day. That's a long way to drive through the rain (more like an 80 percent chance here) only to turn around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts