Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone using a TKO tranny? and how much would it cost? I had to put in a T45 because i twisted the input shaft off and that was a while ago, i have calmed down since then. I am going to buy a blower and cams tomo but dont know if i should get the blower and a TKO instead, but thats only if the price is around the same. Just need a lil help before i blow a bunch of money on the car and end up regretin it.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
How did you twist off the input of the T-3650? I am using the TK-600 in my 85 LX. Not a bad trans,but some have trouble with a WOT shift from 2nd to 3rd gear,at high RPM. the TK-500 has a first gear ratio closer to the stock Bullitt trans....3.35 I believe. That's why the torque rating is 100 Ft.Lb lower than the 600 unit.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wondered myself the same question, when my tranny went out i had it towed to the shop and when they took the tranny down the input shaft fell out from the bellhousin area, i bought a spec stage 3 clutch for some dumb reason, maybe cause the guy was sellin it for 150 brand new, and it was an amazing clutch . . just didnt have the power for it, so im high in the rpms in 3rd and shift pretty hard into 4th and there it went, it twisted off. MMP in Dallas Tx has it on there front desk.

If you dont mind me askin how much did you pay for the whole set up? cause for cams and a head clean with new springs there chargin me a lil over 2k and also a dyno tune, but i think ill be puttin too much power for even the block to handle with a blower and cams, but it would sure sound nice, cammin at idle then a whine when drivin...

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
I bought mine from D&D,they usually have ads in the Mustang mags. I believe the trans was $1700,plus I had to get a new flywheel,clutch,bellhousing for my setup.
However,I think they have a swap kit,for the 2001 Mustang,which includes the bellhousing. Check with D&D.
Yes,I understand, money doesn't go far when building a Mod engine.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Bullitt 736 said:
Promotion Powertrains makes a "built" 3650 for around $1800. No new parts needed except the clutch disk. They use the 26 spline input.

http://www.promotionpowertrain.com/1231590.html

You'll have to add freight to and from for shipment to you and sending your core back. Talk to Walt.
At that price, would it be better to go with a TKO 500/600?

·
Registered
771 Posts
I'd love to hear any of the T56 guys throw their two cents in here...

I've been looking to go TKO500, or the ProMotion 3650 for a while. Thanks to English Bob, I have been able to find some of those same "Bullet-Proof" pieces and right now looks like a rebuild.

I stepped back from the T56 due to gear ratios and no power adder. But would love fro someone with the T56 to say otherwise... :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sganow has a T56 in his Bullitt (Cobra R Spec) and it is a great tranny. First gear is quite a bit taller than the 3650 but that would work really well with a blower (less wheelspin!) and the rest of the gears are a little deeper. He bought his kit from D&D Performance with an aluminum driveshaft and the 10 spline input shaft, but I believe that it is upgradable to the 26 spline input shaft.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
my friend ditched his TKO 600 for a built version of the viper spec T56, loves it.....granted it cost him 6K but with over 1000 horse on tap its worth the extra money, lol

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Bullitt 736 said:
Hopefully Dillo Dave has his T-56 by now. It was still on backorder when I saw him at Nats.
Actually, it arrived late last week. Mechanic is scheduling it for replacement this week. Should have it back by Friday!

Now I got to find a place for my smart car. I figger it will park right behind the Bullitt after she gets back home, if I pull it way up in the driveway.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I have the 2000 Cobra R spec T56 in my Bullitt. I also have 3.73 gears in the rear. I like the tranny, but you need 3.73 gears in the rear to make up the difference with the higher 1st gear. It was pretty sluggish before the 3.73s. I like the way it pulls now, but still not too deep. The gear ratios are closer together so you don't get as much RPM drop when you shift. I also love the .8 5th gear.

Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.