Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, has anyone put any exhust mods on themself. My brother and I were going to put on LT headers, an off-road xpipe and a good cat back system. The cat-back an xpipe look very simple to do but I heard headers are a pain. By the way I plan on a vortech when the income tax check comes so I was wondering what size headers I should get. any hints or tips since I don't have a lift. Also has anyone heard anythng good about bassani catback. It is kind of pricy but someone told me that it works very well.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
First of all, the header install is a BITCH!

I wouldn't even attempt it without a lift. Can't do it from the top.

I suggest the JBA Cat4ward short tubes (chrome) They were about $400. Install cost is $300 (well worth it).

It's a 6 hour job according to the JBA website. After seeing what they went through to install mine, there's no way I would do it myself unless I had acces to a shop with a lift.

The Bassani X is nice but expensive! The MAC Prochamber is awesome and fairly cheap! $225 for the pipe!

The pipe is only 8 bolts. But a lift is a definate plus!

BTW, if your not doing cats, you'll want the MIF Eliminator to bypass your "Check Engine" light. Get it here for $30 http://www.mileliminators.com/order.html

Wade Koch
3.73s
Steeda Tri-Ax
Pro-M 80mm MAF
JBA Cat4ward Chrome Headers
MAC Prochamber

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: h1resq on 2002-01-13 12:05 ]</font>

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'll let you know after next weekend. I will be installing BBK LT"s and Steeda underdrive pullies in my garage. I plan on dropping my k-member to do it, and have heard that this will make the job easier. It is supposed to be a pain, but I plan on giving myself two full days to do it. If you read the Mustang boards a lot of people have done this themselves so it's not impossible.

Eric

·
Registered
714 Posts
Just installed a BBK x-pipe and Borla cat back system today. The BBK x-pipe's bungs for the O2 sensors are further down the pipe and required me to break loose the hold down pins that hold the wire socket in place. Not a huge deal but trying to snap two loose plugs together with only one hand (that's all you can get in that area) really tried my freakin patience. Then the Borla system didn't meet up with the end of the x-pipe worth a crap, now I have an exhaust leak that makes the Bullitt sound like a model A. I tweaked on it for a few hours and then threw up the white flag. I'll take it to the pros tomorrow and let them use the torch on it. No exhaust I have ever installed has gone as planned. I freakin hate freakin exhaust work...dammit!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Jay,

Sorry to hear about all of your troubles. I expect to run into unexpected issues as well. Always do! I do have the luxury of asking a friend of mine who owns a Mustang performance shop what things to be prepared for and what parts I will need. Hopefully I won't want to driv ethe car off a cliff before I'm done and I think I am going to do a tech article and let another friend of mine post it on his site.

Eric

·
Registered
103 Posts
My friend and i installed the(BBK LT) on his 2001 Gt in the garage (11hrs)later it was done .An engine hoist is helpful we lifted the motor up about three inches to gain acccess to manifolds It's tight but can be done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts