Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my endless hours of looking up parts for the tranny rebuild, I came across a site talking about balancing your clutch disc and flywheel...

Since I am only planning on doing this once, and only when the tranny comes out of the car, I plan on going with a Fidanza Flywheel and a Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch.

Fidanza's FAQ states:
"3. SHOULD I BALANCE MY NEW FLYWHEEL? – Since our product is CNC machined they are incredibly accurate. We do however recommend that you balance your new flywheel along with your new clutch pressure plate. This should be done by a reputable and competent machine shop."

I now point up to the subject and ask... I've never heard of balancing a flywheel and a clutch pressure plate, should I have the new pieces balanced before install? I have two different very trustworthy machine shops in the area, so that is not an issue... Would it truely be worth it?

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Yeah, if your turning incredible revs on your engine. If you have a ricer and trying to crank out lots of hp with high max rpm just getting it down the strip, you'll need it to keep that little engine churning and preventing self-destruction.

But you have a "slow" turning, high torque American V-8. Doesn't seem so important to me. So if your going to drive it around town and cruise, the balance imo should be okay as is from the factory. It works for them, why balance it now? Just my $.02.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Working part time in the auto parts biz, I never thought about it...

But sitting here thinking about it now, I wonder if it's the same as gapping your plugs, or balancing your tires...

You'd be suprized how many times I have to explain why you always check your gap. "After all, they could have been made on Friday around 3 or 4ish, they could have been made at 9am Monday morning, they could have been made by an angry employee, or an employee that just heard if he makes a 100 more he can go home..." Or, how bout "bumpin and bangin in shipping"

(Shurg) I'll have to see how much it would cost...

I sell clutches and flywheels all day long and never thought of it...

·
Registered
140 Posts
balance

if it was not needed you will never know, if it is you will know and your main bearings will live a long and happie life, its a good idea do it right the first time

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Is the Ford 4.6 2V engine internally or externally balanced?

If externally balanced, it will probably be all but impossible to "balance" the flywheel - as there will be a mass of metal used as counterweight on one part of it.

If internally balanced, you probably won't notice a thing if you pull it from the box and (properly) install it. But, it won't hurt a thing having the balance checked by your shop. It might even be as simple as properly orienting and marking the flywheel's relationship to the pressure plate, no need to add or subtract any metal.

The only parts they'll need will be the flywheel, pressure plate, and the bolts to hold them together.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A few years back after destroying a flywheel from using the wrong clutch (long story), I went and bought a Center-Force dual friction clutch kit and a new SFI Billet flywheel from Center-Force. I have installed clutches in Mustangs at least 100 times so this is not a new experience to me.

Well, I got everything back together, took the car for a drive and it just was not running right. It would not rev easily, it had a flat spot at 2000-2500 rpm etc. It felt like I had a cylinder down. Car would drive, but it was just not right.

I called Center-Force before I tore it all apart again. Their Tech told me to mark where the pressure plate was in relation to the flywheel. In other words mark one of the dowels before I took the pressure plate off the flywheel. He then said to rotate the flywheel one dowel pin. He said their clutch and pressure plates are balanced from the factory but they are not balanced to their flywheels. He said this step would eliminate the problem.

Keep in mind I was skeptical, and I was dropping a TKO in and out of the car by myself (on the ground) so I was a little tired.

Anyway I followed his instructions. Clocked the pressure plate as instructed and it worked perfectly. Engine revved without drama and just ran perfect.

Never thought I would have to do that, but it worked.

·
Registered
50 Posts
JC2954 said:
Is the Ford 4.6 2V engine internally or externally balanced?

If externally balanced, it will probably be all but impossible to "balance" the flywheel - as there will be a mass of metal used as counterweight on one part of it.

Another way of balancing sans counterweight is to drill a little into the flywheel (opposite clutch side) to remove a little metal. Peck in 1/8" with a 1/4" drill....

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I think I might just go ahead and do it...

Do it right the first time, and never worry about having to redo it.

Has anyone else done it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts