Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of going out to SIR this Sunday and trying my hand at the drag strip. I have never done that before. I am concerned about stressing the engine and breaking something though. I have over 2K miles on it and it is running pretty good, but what are the chances of damaging something. This is a car made for running after all. Plus how does it affect the warranty? As far as I understand the factory warranty won't cover anything damaged during racing, but will it void the coverage on the engine entirely?

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
RUN IT!!.. While you it IS in fact possible to damage something while draggin' it's highly improbable. I've done a lot of Running with my Bullitt o-solo already. Heck.. I've got a whole bunch of runs from 10-110mph just merging with the X-way traffic from Halsted Ave.. and since the Bullitt just breaks 100 in the 1/4 I'd say those were the stressful equivalents to a 1/4 mile run. I've also done a few nice burnouts from a dead stop trying to perfect my launch on one of the longer 4 lane roads by the steel mills by my house.
I'd say go for it.. Let us know how you did when you get back! :smile:

2001 DHG Bullitt #171

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blakwing on 2001-06-20 15:03 ]</font>

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
if it breaks dont tell them you were racing, and also if you have 2k miles allready there should be no problems taking it to the track

> removed maf screen

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Black Sunshine #161 on 2001-06-20 15:04 ]</font>

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the guy I bought it from (Five Oh B) will probably be there, so I will have to swear him to secrecy. :wink: It happened when I got on to 520, honest.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is that what is meant by 'heel and toe' driving?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Ivan, go run it! The strip is no different than pulling onto the highway. The only thing I would worry about is your shifting. Grinding gears is obviously no good for the clutch, but with a little practice at the stop lights, you can nail a good 1-2-3 punch. Don't sweat the heel-toe action, that comes with practice. Also, you don't need to fry your tires in the pit. Street tires won't see any big gain in traction from the heat of a burnout because they have so many treads. All you really need to do is spin 'em a little & shake any loose gravel or other little bits of gunk off. Hopefully, I'll be taking my Bullitt to Lebanon Valley Dragway next Friday, if I can get out of work. I'm interested to see if a "normal" driver can get into the 13's too.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I took my baby to the track last night and I learned a couple of things. First, I am not giving up my software job to become a professional racecar driver anytime soon. Second, always remember to turn off traction control!! I did two runs 15.277 @ 95.14 and 14.974 @ 96.56. Lame times overall, but not to bad I suppose giving I have never done this before, not to mention the whole TC thing.

But at least I smoked that Eagle Talon on the second run!! :wink:

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
1,169 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-06-23 23:44, Dillo Dave wrote:
Ivan, here's a link I think you might find handy:

http://www.f-body.org/dragbasics.htm

I had another one, but not sure where I put it.....

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
Dillo Dave thats a great link! Do you or anyone else have a link to some articles on how to Drive the car in the 1/4 mile,I think alot of drives are not sure how to power shift.

1,169 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-06-24 14:50, Dillo Dave wrote:
I found the other link. I'm not sure if it answers your latest question or not, but check it out anyway!

http://www.mustangperformancetech.homestead.com/DRCarSetup.html

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
That's a great link Dave, To bad that site is shutting down!

1,169 Posts
Along with the two links that Dillo Dave posted i do have a book i can recommend to anyone starting out with Drag Racing:

The title is: BRACKET RACING the Author is Tony Sakkis

You can buy the book from a good book store or call HPBooks at 1-800-788-6262 ext.1

I think it's book# 1266

Cost is about $17.95

This book is a must for anyone thinking of drag racing.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the tips. I am not looking into getting too seriously into this though, I just wanted to see what she can do. Of course now I have to go back to try it without the traction control. :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts