Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...that is the question.

OK, I'm considering have some work done on my hooptie. There's a few spots that drive me insane that I would like to have fixed. I have been tossing around the idea of doing a few body mods while the other stuff is being handled. Namely, I've been thinking about shaving the emblems (fenders and trunk), side scoops, and side markers. As many of you know, that is how the concept Bullitt (pictured below) is.

I think the lack of badges adds to the look of the car so that will probaby be done. Hell, the only reason it has those badges on it to begin with is because the fenders already had holes in them for the GTs. Then again, I could just switch them out for another emblem, like the Torino GT emblems. :confused:

However, the more I look at it, I feel like it is missing something with the side scoops gone. I am stuck on if I want to shave those or not. I know Pete has shaved his and I have been looking at his pics all day, but I still can't decide if I like it better with or without them. It almost makes the rear look a little "puny" without them (no offense of course Pete). :confused:

And then there are the side markers. Should I go through all the trouble of having them filled when I could just have them tinted with clear? I was thinking about having my taillight and headlights tinted anyways. :confused:

As you can tell by all the :confused: smilies, I'm rather, um, confused. :tongue: Just want to get some fellow Bullittheads opinions on all this.

On edit: Forgot to mention. I'm not trying to replicate the concept and I'm not worried too much about adding/taking away from the movie car feel. I primarily show the car, so the asthetics are what I'm after. What actually looks best.

Concept Bullitt:

My bucket as it sits now:

·
Premium Member
13,824 Posts
If you shave the side scoops it will be such a sutle change only the diehard Bullittheads will notice. Shaving the emblems would also add a nice touch and if you ever decided to get rid of the door handles that would also look good.
Are you going the change out the faci to coincide with the concept?

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hoosierblackbullitt said:
If you shave the side scoops it will be such a sutle change only the diehard Bullittheads will notice. Shaving the emblems would also add a nice touch and if you ever decided to get rid of the door handles that would also look good.
Are you going the change out the faci to coincide with the concept?
Thanks for the reply Brad. See, I think the shaved scoops would make a bigger difference than you think. Here's the thread showing Pete's shaved car (also put one pic below). It makes quite a difference IMO. As for the door handles, um, no. Not my cup-o-tea. And like I mentioned, I'm not trying to replicate the concept. The only front bumper I would put on would be the 99/01 Cobra unit and the only rear bumper would be the 03/04 Cobra unit (minus Cobra script of course).

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Go for it. Once it's done and you walk around it and others see it and comment, all your doubts will vanish. I didn't do the fenders, just changed to the running ponies. Also left the markers when I switched to the Cobra rear. Both things I should have done, hind sight is 20/20. Scoops are a biggie, but worth it.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jim5081 said:
Go for it. Once it's done and you walk around it and others see it and comment, all your doubts will vanish. I didn't do the fenders, just changed to the running ponies. Also left the markers when I switched to the Cobra rear. Both things I should have done, hind sight is 20/20. Scoops are a biggie, but worth it.
Thanks Jim. I am just really torn on those scoops. I know that Ford only put them on there because the quarter panels already had the holes, but I am really thinking it looks better with them on. I need to see more pics of them shaved I reckon. :confused:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
My garage view is not the best, will see if I can get a better close up for you.

·
Registered
387 Posts
The cleaner look would look nice, de-badged and removing the MUSTANG from the rear bumper would look great too.

Regarding the side scoop, i'd like to see one where the rear end piece that sticks out is still there to finish of the curvature and give it a meaner look, but without the area infront of it sticking proud from the door line. i.e. if you look at it from the front the trim looks like a after thought rather than part of the body lines as it does without the trim. (Hope you get what I mean).

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
4fit? said:
I need to see more pics of them shaved I reckon. :confused:
Forgive the dirty car, but it's suspose to be in the 50's next couple of days and that will force me to roll it out and wash it.:lol: :lol: then maybe a nice clean shot.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies guys and thanks for the pic Jim.

rocketdog said:
thanks for the ideas I will now do it, ARE YOU DOING IT YOUR SELF?
No, I'm not doing it myself. Have some buddies that own a body shop. They do the best work I have ever seen. :cool:

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I would not remove the side markers, I would shave everything else you mentioned and also the door handles. Most people will not notice the door handles and they would really make the shave look

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rblack4405 said:
I would not remove the side markers, I would shave everything else you mentioned and also the door handles. Most people will not notice the door handles and they would really make the shave look
The shaved door handle look is just not for me, at least not on a Mustang. I may decide to ditch the driver's side door lock though. All of this is up in the air right now. I am going to talk to the guys tomorrow. They have some ideas of their own and they really have an eye for what makes a car pop, so I will definitely hear them out. I'm just trying to get a feel for the things that I know I would like to have done. The scoops are just killing me. I can't decide! ugh! lol

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Jeff can probably find a better picture later but we had the side scoops filled in on 2180. The bumper has also been filled in.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I personally always thought it would be neat to have Bullitt etched in the bumper instead of Mustang, but ive never heard of anyone that has the equipment to do it...But having the side scoops shaved does look kinda neat...id prolly just stay with mine though. Although one of mine is peeling and the other is barely held on anymore haha! Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I like the look of the shaved side scoops, but I dont ever think I would spend the money on doing it. I would think it would be pretty expensive. Just to have the holes filled in my deck lid was going to be like 250.00 (PO put GT wing on :evil:)

·
Registered
104 Posts
4fit? said:
Morning bump. Any more opinions on this? I'm going to meet with the guys this afternoon and still don't know what I want done. :lol:
YOU may not know what you WANT, but WE all know what you NEED.

With a small apology to Bob Dylan.

:wink:

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
I like the look of the shaved side scoops, definitely. don't think I'd get rid of the door handles. definitely the cobra rear bumper cover shaved, like the concept car (since you can't get one that says mustang on it like the concept car). I would also go for the no badges on the side.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts