Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Charles
13,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The TOB saga continues. The car is in the shop for hopefully the last time for this issue. I took it to a different shop since I was told that since the Ford bearing is not a warranty part by Ford that I was out of luck as far as a redo goes. The new shop called me when they got the transmission out. The TOB is trash. Less than 1500 miles.

The input shaft does not appear to be twisted to my untrained eye. I thought this might be the reason fro the pilot bearing going south in six months time. The clucth and flywheel looked ok.

The TOB sleeve (which is part of the bellhousing) has a very slight groove in the shaft from where the TOB sits. Can this be touched up with emery cloth? If it needs to be replaced then it is part of the bellhousing assembly. $300 for the part. Ouch!!!!

I spoke to Centerforce this morning as to what might cause the TOB to crater twice in 8 months (I don't ride the clutch). They reiterated that the TOB does not touch the pressure plate fingers when the pedal is not depressed. This is what I always thought. A little slack in the pedal before you feel the TOB engage the pressure plate.

My previous installer told me that the cable is to be adjusted tight to keep the TOB against the pressure plate. I always thought this would cause the bearing to heat up and sling the grease out as well as wear the pressure plate fingers. This is what Centerforce said as well. %$#^&%$#%. I am now out an additional $700 since the clutch was originally installed.

I tend to agree with Centerforce. Am I wrong? I have the Steeda quadrant and the F/W adjuster.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have installed clutch quardrents and firewall adjusters on both of my current stangs. I initially had them adjusted where the TOB was free and I had a little travel (approx 1/4") before engaging the pressure plate fingers. This resulted in a very annoying chirping sound from the TOB as it was allowed to freely bounce off the fingers of the pressure plate while the clutch was out.

Now, they are tightened up to the point of touching the fingers at all times, and all is well. No chirping, and no abnormal TOB wear.

If you compare the clutch feel of a new car (where will you find one of those Charles???) you will notice that there is no slack in the clutch pedal before engaging the pressure plate.

I wouldn't be worried about tightening it up! Also, when I got my car back from Houston Performance, the cutch pedal was adjusted nice and tight, so they must think the same thing! You aren't far from HP, you might try taking the car to them.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I thought the tob was supposed to touch in these cars.

·
Charles
13,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The '08 has a little bit of pedal travel before I feel any pressure. The overall pedal travel is also much shorter than the '01. That took some getting used to. Assuming the cable is supposed to be tight, then any idea why the TOB is going bad? I got 60k out of my Spec clutch and TOB and it never started squealing. It was a little noisy at idle but part of it is ceramic so its more of a light rattle. I've driven manual tranny cars forever and never experienced an ongoing problem like this.

·
Registered
591 Posts
A new cable can't hurt, but I don't know that a worn/stretched cable would cause the problem you are experiencing. The best thing you could probably do is take it to a mustang shop. Let someone take a look who has seen hundreds of these.

·
Charles
13,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Picked the car up this afternoon. The pedal is adjusted with some play in it. I figure I might as well try it this way since the other way has failed twice. Seems to shift and run well. We'll see.

The biggest thing I noticed after not driving the car for two weeks is that the '08 NEEDS A SHORT THROW SHIFTER. Man I miss that TriAx.

·
Charles
13,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
droopysbullitt said:
Did HP tell you to adjust the clutch tight and Centerforce says there needs to be a small amount of travel?
Yes they did. I had the car back in the shop yesterday to replace the tailshaft seal that was starting to leak. The wife drove it all day today around town and then out of town tonight. No problems so far. I would think I know more in a few weeks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts