Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hubby and I took Bullete downtown for a little toolin tonight-Fri. night. Picture this: Me, 47 and my old man, 62 are driving the strip with windows down, the Mach 460 blaring John Cougar Melencamp. In the next lane over pulls up a 95 GT vert. He wants to play. He never played with a Bullitt before and probably will never again. We pulled over and talked to him later and found out he had a cam in it. He said he didn't think it was possible to get 3rd gear rubber like hubby did. He said we shirped 3rd gear real good! Proud of hubby, I am! Said he couldn't do that. He was about 20.

He was VERY impressed with Bullitt and said he had read all about it as he is an avid Mustang enthusiast. I had a real blast tonight showing off Bullette. If there was a cop there, we would have gotten a reckless driving ticket for sure! :wink:

Vicki

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-07-07 01:01, TwoStangWmn wrote:
Hubby and I took Bullete downtown for a little toolin tonight-Fri. night. Picture this: Me, 47 and my old man, 62 are driving the strip with windows down, the Mach 460 blaring John Cougar Melencamp. In the next lane over pulls up a 95 GT vert. He wants to play. He never played with a Bullitt before and probably will never again. We pulled over and talked to him later and found out he had a cam in it. He said he didn't think it was possible to get 3rd gear rubber like hubby did. He said we shirped 3rd gear real good! Proud of hubby, I am! Said he couldn't do that. He was about 20.

He was VERY impressed with Bullitt and said he had read all about it as he is an avid Mustang enthusiast. I had a real blast tonight showing off Bullette. If there was a cop there, we would have gotten a reckless driving ticket for sure! :wink:

Vicki

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Is everyone still catching rubber in third gear (except me)? :wink:

I hear the fuel pump squeal, that's it. I'm gonna start worrying about my car again. :lol:

·
Registered
899 Posts
I catch third with no problem....hate to make you worry though...

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
I can grab 3rd too but it's gotta be an agressive shift to do it. Keep trying.. you'll find it! :smile:

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
No, that's the first thing I turn off when I get in the thing. :smile:

Do you guys speed shift when you catch rubber, or is it clean off-gas, clutch in, clutch out, on-gas shifts?

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
I have gotten it once, early on, when the car has like 50 miles, on a cool night drive.

I am wondering if a) its something to do with the wonkiness in the clutch/tranny I keep feeling or b) fuel pump issues (since I hear it squeal when I go from 2 to 3 "briskly").

I'm not dissing the car, I just don't want to make it worse. I wish I was a better wrench. :smile:

Mike

DHG #1161

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullittoid on 2001-07-07 13:27 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
It's a VEEEERRRRYY quick shift.. Not a full throttle powershift but damn close. That and you have to be spooled way the hell up in second, near the rev-limiter, when you nail the shift or the gearing in 3rd will get you. Mustangs are notorious for their 1st and 2nd gear acceleration but they tend to dog (relatively mind you) in 3-4-5.
At least that's been my experience through my friends 84, 86, and 95.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
I've gotten 3rd to bark, You have to be really kicking ass and I don't remember anything except the car that was next to me is now way behind me. I let instinct take over. Feel the Force Luke, use the Force, Be the Force.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
So down shifting, flooring it on my Bullitt. Is like folding back the wings and hitting afterburner on an F14B upgrade Tomcat with 2 General Electic F110's.
Did you know that a F14 with F110's can go supersonic without afetrburner? ( we call it Augmentor) Also that same Jet will destroy the Ship's catapult if the pilot selects Augmentor while connected to the catapult. Not like those wimpy F/A18's. Also a upon landing if the engines are allowed to go all the way to Max (not useing augmentor) on landing this Tomcat can rip the aresting gear wires right out of the ship, Thats called the RATS (reduced augmented thrust system). Lastly the Tomcat can fly further faster longer than any fighter in the Naval inventory.
See what you started when you brought up Top Gun. SORRY!!!!!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I experience the same thing when I try to grab third in my car. I hear a slight squeal from under the hood and that's it. Although, I might not know if the tires are breaking loose. I don't think I could hear it over the squeal.

I've only got 600 miles on the clock so I'll keep trying!

Eric

speaking of the rev-limiter. Am I the only one who has accidentally gotten into the rev-limiter once or twice. In first gear the engine is happy revving right up to the point when the fuel starts getting cut off. My 96GT was never so happy to rev. When I'm running hard it's easy to hit the rev-limiter if I take my eyes off the tach in first.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BULLITT00208 on 2001-07-16 18:53 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BULLITT00208 on 2001-07-16 18:54 ]</font>

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Whats unbelievable is the SR71 was on the drawing boards in the 50's and the F14 was a 60's design althought didn't make production until the 70's.
The SR71 is still classified, even thought most have been Moth balled.
The U-2 (another spy plane built in the 50's but is still in use) uses 2 hotrodded trucks to chase down the aircraft upon landing because the wing tip wheels fall off on take off. and the trucks are there to keep the wings from hitting the deck. Thats right they drive up under them. Now wouldn't that be a cool job!!!!! I can tell a bunch of sea stories

1 - 12 of 12 Posts