Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just pulled this from Compuserve...Looks like they made a major mistake in listing it as a 2002!!! Either way, I like the article:

#1 Mustang Bullitt GT

The hottest factory-built 2002 Mustang may not be the Mustang to get. Sure, the 320-hp, 4-cam SVT Cobra is plenty nice--and plenty potent. The Cobra has a 7,000 rpm redline (impressive for a domestic V-8), and is the quickest/fastest production 'Stang that Ford sells at the moment. It's also a limited-issue piece that has those cool snake badges on the fender. But it's also almost $30,000 for the coupe--a princely $32,605 for the convertible--not counting the inevitable dealer markup.

Meanwhile, you may have noticed that Ford has brought out a "middleweight" version of the Mustang V-8 that has more power than a regular GT--and a suspension set up that may make it the equal (or so close as to make it a dead heat) of the Cobra in terms of handling prowess--plus upgraded brakes (Brembos all around, with red powder-coated calipers identical to the Cobra's), retro-style 17-inch "Torq-Thrust" wheels, meaty Goodyear tires, etc.--all for several thousand dollars less than the Cobra.

This new 'Stang, of course, is the Bullitt GT--a special edition Mustang commemorating the classic Steve McQueen movie in which the actor/driver tore up the streets of San Franciso in a mean-looking '68 fastback coupe. At $3,695 over the price of the base 2002 GT ($22,760), an '02 Bullitt can cost as little as $26,455--which is not a bad deal at all when viewed against the Cobra's $30k-ish MSRP.

There are a couple of angles here. One, while the Cobra clearly has the bigger gun, courtesy of its deep-breathing DOHC 4-valve/4-cam engine (the GT and Bullitt use the less rev-happy single cam/2-valve version of Ford's 4.6 liter V-8), the money you save by choosing a Bullitt instead of a Cobra could be put into a readily available, easy-to-bolt-on Paxton or Vortech supercharger--which would boost the output of the Bullitt's 265-hp engine well into the 300s, probably to around 340-plus. This is more than enough to painfully thrash a stone-stock Cobra--probably by a comfortable margin, too. And you'd still have money in your pocket to pay for insurance, taxes, gas, tickets--whatever.

Then there's the understated coolness of the Bullitt package itself.

The car looks all-business: sharp and purposeful--with a suspension dropped 3/4 of an inch over the stock GTs. Note the absence of a rear decklid spoiler--the only V-8 Mustang to not have one of these now-overused bolt-ons. It used to be that only serious performance machines had 'em. These days, every cheesy front-drive econo-car and sedan has a wing--and this fact has taken away from the ambiance considerably. No fog-lights in the Bullitt's front end, either--just the blackened-out vortex of that hairy-looking grille bearing down upon you in the rearview mirror. This impression of malevolence is heightened by the special hood scoop that's also unique to the Bullitt. (Too bad it doesn't actually work; it's there for cosmetic effect only.) Now that Cobras no longer have scoops at all, this actually renders the Bullitt the tougher-appearing of the two cars.
Mechanically, there have been small but significant improvements to the Bullitt's version of the 4.6-liter V-8, which at 265-hp is five horses stronger than the regular Mustang GT. A larger 57mm twin-bore throttle body (also the same as the Cobra's) has been fitted to a new intake manifold designed to bump-up the low-end torque of this engine--which makes it feel stronger coming off the line. The exhaust is tuned for that burbling, blap-blap-blap muscle car sound--indeed, it was specifically set up to duplicate the tone of the pre-emissions wonderfulness of that 390-powered '68 fastback that McQueen used to defeat the Dodge Charger in the movie.

I can tell you that the Bullitt will leave a solid 2-4 feet of rubber on the 1-2 shift, as befitting an American V-8 muscle coupe. It actually feels just as good (maybe better) than the Cobra, stone stock--even if the Cobra does have more absolute power. This could be a function of the fact that to get the Cobra to do its thing, you have to wind it out to 4,750-rpm (where the twin cam engine produces its peak torque output of 317-lbs.-ft.), while the Bullitt's single-cam 4.6 liter engine makes almost as much torque (305-lbs.-ft.) almost 1,000 rpm's sooner (4,000 rpm). The Bullitt's power peak comes earlier, too--265-hp at 5,000 rpm vs. the Cobra's 320-hp at 6,000 rpm.

The result is that the Bullitt feels like it has more grunt in the lower and mid-ranges--because it does. Add a torque-multiplying supercharger and this thing would be able to lay rubber until the cows come home, just like the big-block bruisers of days gone by.

Add to these possibilities and inducements the fact that the Bullitt also comes with much of the handling and braking equipment that makes the Cobra a formidable car, and the whole deal becomes even more of a draw. In addition to the Brembo high capacity brakes and large wheel/tire combo, Bullitts also get fitted with Tokico struts and shocks, subframe connectors (to improve chassis rigidity), revised springs and stabilizer bars--plus cool trim pieces such as stainless steel pedals, a brushed aluminum shifter for the five speed (no automatic with this car, just like the Cobra--sorry), plus modfied C-pillars and a race-themed aluminum fuel filler door.

The interior is similarly fitted out with unique-to-this-car seats and embossed sill plates, plus a gauge package with special white backlighting. If Ford had seen fit to throw in the six-speed used in the competition-only 5.4-liter Cobra R, the Bullitt would be perfect. As it is, it's damn good--good enough, in fact, to challenge the 4.6 liter SVT Cobra's status as the best street performance Mustang you can buy right now. Get it in "McQueen green" and you are ready to rock!

The only downside is that--at least initially--Ford will only build 6,500 Bullitts. Hopefully, however, mass acclaim will prompt Ford to make the Bullitt (or the essentials of the package) an ongoing option. Provided the SVT Cobra doesn't feel too snake-bitten by its new in-house rival.

--also,they are posting the "concept" photos instead of production pics...interesting---

·
Registered
225 Posts
In reading the article, I noticed another mistake the writer made. We have Twin 57mm TBs, that's not a single unit under there.
Our intake is alum. instead of plastic with a higher flowing runner arrangement than the stock GT's.Thereis ainteresting article in the Feb.'02 issure of MM&FF on the intake.LaRocca in N.J put it on a customer's 99 35th ANN.2v Mustang. this car was running in the 10.70 at 124 mph on the strip,with the blower and stock intake this car Was making 531.7hp and 515.9 ftlbs of torque, with our intake it jumped to 566.1 hp and 520.2 ftlbs of torque, with blower.
So gents, if it made that much more hp on that car,why doesit only give us a wimpy 5 more hp over the stock GT? Could Ford be keeping a secet from us?

·
Registered
106 Posts
In reference to the Bullitt only getting 5-10 more horse power over the regular GT...
I was at the dealership a while back and I was speaking with one of the salesman (he had some Bullit information for me) who was also the head of the SVT Owners Group for Cobra's. While talking, he mentioned that althouhg Ford quotes the HP at 265...he was informed that it was underestimated and that the actual figure is closer to 280-285, due to all of the "refinements". This actually makes a lot of sense considering that on any other car the smae options (thru the aftermarket would produce decent HP gains). Exhausts can be good for 5 plus and the Bullitt is less restrictive, so it should be good for at least 5HP. The air intake and the throttle body are also good for a couple more. So the combined package could produce some great gains. He also explained that Ford had to state it as 265 HP to avoid upsetting all of the Cobra owners out there, who would be pretty unhappy to hear that their $33,000 cars which do not even have as nice of an interior as the Bullitt are only worth about 35 more HP. It does make a lot of sense. I have no way to confirm this, but it sounds great to me. If anyone has some idea of how to verify the EXACT HP from the engine that would be great. Until then, I love my Bullitt and would never choose an SVT over it.

·
Premium Member
18,850 Posts
The Bullitt is "cheeky!"
It may have "froopy" undertones...
but it is very supercalifragilistic...
expeealadocious! Poppins I say!

(my 3.5 year old daughter was viewing this
tonight, it seemed to be the right thing to
say...my .5 year old son does not give a
crap) :lol:

DHG #3875
Modifications:
BULLITT chase scene recreated on rear dash
with Revell 1/25 scale 68 GT 390 Fastback and
68 Charger R/T metal body models. Unfortunately
the hub caps don't come off the Charger.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PY on 2002-01-07 02:06 ]</font>

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
VERY KEWL :wink:

Dang I want one. Wait, I have one<VBSEG>.

Bud

·
Registered
140 Posts
The article did state twin bore throttle body.

·
Premium Member
18,850 Posts
Ditto!
Nice South Park sig. Chilli!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
They understated the HP 'cause of all the troubles they had with the Cobra HP and Mazda got in a mess by overstating the Miata by just 5 HP! So they played it safe and used 265. From everything I've read it's closer to 280.

·
Premium Member
18,850 Posts
Yep! All the numbers I have seen are 280!
That was from MMFF magazine!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Im sure u were all expecting me to chime in here at some point. im not gonna argue with the article cause it mostly states facts. now to the person who stated that the bullitt has a nicer interior, could u tell me why. It has cool gauges(albeit hard to read), plain looking leather seats(same ones as cobra except no alcantara)and shiny ring around the shifter, pedals, and a 35th anniversary Edition shifter knob. The few shiny pieces do not a nicer interior make. I personally hate the hoodscoop and the honeycomb insert in the grille(same as all gt's). about the hp, u are dynoing at around 230rwhp, give or take about 6-8 hp. Gt's dyno around this number as well. I say diff between bullitt and gt is maybe like 5-10hp, nothing mor or less(excluding freaks for each) The intake does flow better, the pulleys are good for a few hp, but the mufflers don't do jack. And to the guy who wondered if ford was hiding anything in the intake. Hell no. Jimmy Vaccaro's blown gt gets those gains from the blower. a non blown car will not get the same gains. The better the intake flows the more air the blower can ram in there. In any case, enjoy ur cars(can't really enjoy mine, its snowing like a suminabitch)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 99svt32v on 2002-01-07 14:26 ]</font>

·
Registered
586 Posts
How interesting, just the other day I was laying rubber and the cows were on the way home!

Guess I don't need that supercharger afterall.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Actually the Bullitt intake has more flow capacity,than the cylinder head,it has,can use. Sort of like putting a Victor Jr. intake on a stock headed and cammed 302. Now if we could do some head work,bigger valves,more camshaft,and compression,or even stroke it out a bit,the intake would show more HP gain. The bottle neck on the 2V 4.6 is it's bore size,which limits the valve sizing and airflow. Of course thats why the Cobra engine came about with the 4 valve head.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mus408 on 2002-01-07 19:42 ]</font>

1 - 19 of 19 Posts