Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Top 7 car crash endings in movies

Last night I had no plans and was just sitting around cruising through the cable stations and as Bruce sang there are 57 channels and nothing on.

<table border="0" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="0" width="600"><tbody><tr><td vAlign="bottom" rowSpan="2"></td><!-- cell for lyrics --><td vAlign="TOP">
<!-- lyrics -->I bought a bourgeois house in the Hollywood hills
With a truckload of hundred thousand dollar bills
Man came by to hook up my cable TV
We settled in for the night my baby and me
We switched 'round and 'round 'til half-past dawn
There was fifty-seven channels and nothin' on

Well now home entertainment was my baby's wish
So I hopped into town for a satellite dish
I tied it to the top of my Japanese car
I came home and I pointed it out into the stars
A message came back from the great beyond
There's fifty-seven channels and nothin' on

Well we might'a made some friends with some billionaires
We might'a got all nice and friendly
If we'd made it upstairs
All I got was a note that said "Bye-bye John
Our love is fifty-seven channels and nothin' on"

So I bought a .44 magnum it was solid steel cast
And in the blessed name of Elvis well I just let it blast
'Til my TV lay in pieces there at my feet
And they busted me for disturbin' the almighty peace
Judge said "What you got in your defense son?"
"Fifty-seven channels and nothin' on"
I can see by your eyes friend you're just about gone
Fifty-seven channels and nothin' on...
Fifty-seven channels and nothin'
<!-- END lyrics --><!-- spacer -->

So I turned on my Roku, for those that do not know this little gem allows me to stream movies from my Netflix account onto my TV. Anyway I started checking out the car related movies and found quite a few of them out there. So the one I chose to watch last night was Crazy Mary, Dirty Larry and seeing the ending got me to thinking.....

What are the top seven movies that end in a crash???????

So with that I got out my pen and paper and started the list at least one of these is not a car movie but what the hey.

1. Vanishing Point -
2. Two Lane Blacktop - ok it is implied that it ends that way
3. Easy Rider - remember the not all cars part - Peter Fonda
4. Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry - Peter Fonda
5. Duel - Dennis Weaver
6. Thunder Road - Robert Mitchum pretty good movie
7. Death Proof - close enough to the ending - Kurt Russel as a phsyco bad ass!

Remember the movie has to end with a crash!!!

</td></tr></tbody></table>

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Just heard of Roku today. Weird!

Don't Thelma and Louise fly off a cliff in the T-Bird? That's about all I can think of at this point. I'll have to go home and do some cypherin'.

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Mayhem said:
1. Vanishing Point -
2. Two Lane Blacktop - ok it is implied that it ends that way
3. Easy Rider - remember the not all cars part - Peter Fonda
4. Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry - Peter Fonda
5. Duel - Dennis Weaver
6. Thunder Road - Robert Mitchum pretty good movie
7. Death Proof - close enough to the ending - Kurt Russel as a phsyco bad ass!

Remember the movie has to end with a crash!!!
Jeff, I concur with your list, entirely. Almost in the same order :)

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
Falfa's black '55 Chevy in "American Grafitti" (Not exactly at the end, but close)

The car flipped and burned.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been amazed by the movies on my list and almost everyone does this - you really get into the main character albeit they be good or bad, the good being Kowalski and the bad being Kurt Russel's character in death proof.

But you get into these characters and then they wind up dying in a fiery crash at the end.

What the Heck is wrong with Hollywood?!

Oh yeah one other movie.

The Mechanic - both the old and the new version the dude winds up dying in a fiery explosion right at the end of the movie..... The original dies in an fiery exploding Mustang while the new version has the guy getting blown to bits along with a gorgeous Jaguar.

·
1,478 Posts
Looks like it was a Camaro that bit the dust in the end of Vanishing Point.

Here it is:
"Carey Loftin was the film's stunt coordinator and responsible for setting up and performing the major driving stunts. Considered one of Hollywood's greatest stunt drivers, Loftin's resume at the time included work on Grand Prix (1966), Bullitt, and The French Connection (1970). Barry Newman learned from Loftin and was encouraged by the stunt coordinator to do some of his own stunts. In the scene before Kowalski crashes into the bulldozer, Newman drove and performed a 180-degree turn on the road himself without the director's knowledge.

The 383 car was also used as the tow vehicle in the crash scene at the end of the movie. A quarter-mile cable was attached between the Challenger and an explosives-laden 1967 Chevrolet Camaro with the motor and transmission removed. The tow vehicle was driven by Loftin, who pulled the Camaro into the blades of the bulldozers at high speed. Loftin expected the car to go end over end, but instead it stuck into the bulldozers, which he thought looked better."

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Warlock said:
Looks like it was a Camaro that bit the dust in the end of Vanishing Point.

Here it is:
"Carey Loftin was the film's stunt coordinator and responsible for setting up and performing the major driving stunts. Considered one of Hollywood's greatest stunt drivers, Loftin's resume at the time included work on Grand Prix (1966), Bullitt, and The French Connection (1970). Barry Newman learned from Loftin and was encouraged by the stunt coordinator to do some of his own stunts. In the scene before Kowalski crashes into the bulldozer, Newman drove and performed a 180-degree turn on the road himself without the director's knowledge.

The 383 car was also used as the tow vehicle in the crash scene at the end of the movie. A quarter-mile cable was attached between the Challenger and an explosives-laden 1967 Chevrolet Camaro with the motor and transmission removed. The tow vehicle was driven by Loftin, who pulled the Camaro into the blades of the bulldozers at high speed. Loftin expected the car to go end over end, but instead it stuck into the bulldozers, which he thought looked better."
I had heard that many years ago and tried to see if I could see it in the movie by pausing at the end but it is really hard to see what exactly it is that is being blown to smithereens!

Good to know that it was not just another legend.

Thanks!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Drive was a remake of Driver, and while I like the original (with its long chases and ending crash/ironic scene in the train station) I really did like the 'remake'. Different type of story, not as many chases or crashes, but very worth a redbox rental.

Don't forget the original Gone in 60 Seconds (1974) with the original Eleanor, horribly edited film, but the 45 minute chase scene is well worth it. Love that car.

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
37,503 Posts
Did anyone notice in the "home movie" of the Bullitt crash scene, how the big explosion was far away from where the gas station was? Trickery at its best.

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
37,503 Posts
bump

·
Registered
214 Posts
Although not a car crash, White Line Fever had a nice truck crash.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
The Charger crashing into the gas station and exploding at the end of the chase scene in Bullitt deserves a mention, doesn't it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts