Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had a real bad day at work and decided to take it out on hotrodding #785!! I took off like a tornado ,spinning badly,shifted too second and it was the last time with that trans..No more 2nd gear..dropped off at dealer on the way..I thought this new trans was supposed to be a better one?? hope it isnt too bad of news tomorrow..I only have 799 miles on it so i shouldnt have any warranty problems..

·
Registered
372 Posts
man- i had the same problem with mine and just got back from picking the car up from the dealer. the problem is the shift fork inside the trans. with the stock shifter, we are overshifting because the stock shifter does not have positive stops built into it and it is causing the fork to bend. the dealer had my car for 3 weeks and i had to call everybody and their brother from ford to get a new trans shipped. what area are you from. i am from the dc area. one little side note: since i picked the car up today, my cruise control is not working. make sure the dealer hooks up all the necesary wires and stuff if they replace the trans. give me an update when the dealer gets back to you if you want. i may be able to help you out if your dealer gives you trouble. for my car, they didn't want to replace the trans, they wanted to repair it. do not accept this!!! they will never be able to rebuild the unit back to its original condition. you may have to insist that they do this. there are a few people at ford that i ended up dealing with on this and they really got the ball rolling

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, i had a 95 Cobra before this and Ford rebuilt it 4 times resulting in the same problem..I am going to the dealer in a.m. and do what i can to get a new trans..I probably will pick up a steeda tri-ax shifter at ffw in ennis next month..

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
It's beginning to look like an after market shifter is a must!! I'm checking tomorrow to see if Hurst makes one for the 3650.

BTW: Sorry to hear about this. Hope it doesn't take weeks to get it fixed.

Hankster, DHG No. 2634

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hblattel on 2001-09-25 22:56 ]</font>

·
Registered
193 Posts
Keep the info flowing, cats!
We need to let Ford know that we don't like this cheesy little crap box of a transmission.
I love my Bullitt, but this transmission is a joke and can also be embarassing when I take people for a ride and they ask what that noise is or why it is so damned hard to shift from one gear to another. I wish mine would just take a dump so I can get a new one. Ford blew it on this tranny - IMNSHO.

The CatSmasher

·
Registered
533 Posts
Make sure you get your real tranny seal checked regularly. Had mine in for a 2nd oil change at 3000mi. and they found the seal faulty. It was bleeding badly.

Daryl

·
Registered
264 Posts
Really....?

I think this trans is great! I have yet to grind a gear and it shifts very smoothly and predictably.

You want to try a quirky trans....try the T-45 of previous years or the T-56 on the GM cars. Now there is a POS. I hated that trans with a passion. Nothing but problems.

Paul G.

·
Registered
372 Posts
believe me--- ford is aware of the problem after dealing with my little misshap. i had everyone from art hyde to the regional sales manager envolved in getting mine fixed. they have a service bulletin out regarding it. don't be surprised if you see a recall

·
Registered
937 Posts
How do we get a hold of that service bulletin. Centroplex Ford in Killeen didn't even retorque my xsmn mount bolts. They drove it and said "checked and found ok", that it's normal. This sucks... we have to do this on our own. What the hell is wrong with Ford's service?? After the purchase, they don't give a damn about you... I will go to another Ford dealer and beware of Centroplex Ford.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I said in another post, mine doesn't clunk like everybody describes. If I don't do my part and shift properly, I get some driveline binding, especially if I'm moving and end up having to coast a second during a shift due to traffic which lets the RPMs drop too much.

As for shifter stops, an aftermarket shifter is an inexpensive mod that might save a major repair.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
If the shift forks are the problem then, as stated previously, a aftermarket shifter is a must. I haven't had any trouble with my trans yet but I do shift quite hard at times. So looks like I'm shelling out a little $$'s for that tri-ax after all.

·
Registered
204 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-09-26 12:23, N8tr wrote:
believe me--- ford is aware of the problem after dealing with my little misshap. i had everyone from art hyde to the regional sales manager envolved in getting mine fixed. they have a service bulletin out regarding it. don't be surprised if you see a recall

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
Where did you get your Bullitt at? I got mine from Century Ford in Rockville. How is the service dept where you take yours?

·
Registered
372 Posts
i bought mine at sheehy in gaitherburg. its about 5 minutes from century on rockville pike. the sales experience was great but the service department sucks

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Just bought mine last Friday. I have noticed a shudder shifting from 1st to second at slower RPMs. If I get on it, the shift is smooth. If I keep the clutch in for a second or two it's not as bad. Not sure if this is normal or not. It grabs 2nd nicely, but you guys are making me leary of dropping the hammer!

P.S. noticed a huge RPM drop from 4th to 5th. Is this normal? Almost never use 5th except over 60-70mph!

·
Registered
121 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-09-26 23:54, h1resq wrote:

P.S. noticed a huge RPM drop from 4th to 5th. Is this normal? Almost never use 5th except over 60-70mph!

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Wade, 5th is a pretty deep overdrive gear. The ratio on 4th is 1.00, and 5th drops to 0.67. It's been like that for many years on Mustangs now. It's a gas mileage gear I guess. But anything below 50 mph and it's no good.

·
Registered
456 Posts
my bullitt shifts fine and smooth, but the only problem with it is the clutch is starting to make wierd noises, any one else have that problem?

·
Registered
451 Posts
I don't even think of 5th until 60 mph, and more likely 65 or 70. If I'm distracted by music (a sin I know) or otherwise not paying attention, I'll happily cruise at 70 in 4th for awhile before I think to go to 5th. It's hillier here than some parts of the country, though. If it was all flat I might get more use out of 5th.

As for mileage -- whew! I know it's largely my driving habits, but I can EASILY go through a tank in 2 days of running errands around town. Keep saying I'm going to start using the 110k mile '89 accord for such things, but you know... :-B

Joe

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yes that is normal going from fourth to fifth! Your fifth gear is an overdrive gear which as u said reduces your rpm which reduces fuel consumption! So if u plan to really get on it just kinda hang out in fourth gear and get ready to rock and roll when u drop her down to third at about oh lets say 60 or 70 miles an hour! oh yea thast when she will straight out haul Butt!

Thanx Havgun! #1676

·
Registered
835 Posts
Wade,

In one of the earlier discussions on shift points, I worte about my impressions in Houston area traffic. As long as the RPMs are above 2000 when you shift 1-2,2-3,3-4, your OK. If you're in a more rapid acceleration mod, te 3-4 shift is smoother above 2500. If you have to hesitate or back off due to traffic during a shift your sunk. I think it's because the computer maintains the last RPMs for an instant during the shift for a smoother match when engaging the gears. After that instant, they drop like a normal manual tranny.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts