Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think i am going to be sick. I just read that motor trend selected the tundra for truck of the year for 08. I think i will cancel my subscription to mt.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
I saw it coming. I guess that I am telepathetic or something. So I didn't renew my subscription. they have been a little too gooie for my tastes lately anyway. As for the Tundra, it is an absolute piece of s***. Oscillating bed/frame damaging the back of the cab, and in a couple of instances the truck going out of control. Brake issues. Tailgates collapsing under load that your standard Ford, GM or Dodge handles day in, day out for years on end without issue. Broken camshafts still are an issue in the 5.7L V-8. Transmission problems galore. Dealers refusing to service or adjust under warranty any of the above except the camshaft issue and the oscillation problem on one truck. They must be the straw that broke the Toyota camels back. Because these trucks are definitely not living up to the Toyota hype or reliablity reputation. Toyota is definitely off the list of cars that I would recommend to someone that is looking for solid transportation value.

·
Former Owner of 2001 DHG1557
840 Posts
DavidMidgley said:
I saw it coming. I guess that I am telepathetic or something. So I didn't renew my subscription. they have been a little too gooie for my tastes lately anyway. As for the Tundra, it is an absolute piece of s***. Oscillating bed/frame damaging the back of the cab, and in a couple of instances the truck going out of control. Brake issues. Tailgates collapsing under load that your standard Ford, GM or Dodge handles day in, day out for years on end without issue. Broken camshafts still are an issue in the 5.7L V-8. Transmission problems galore. Dealers refusing to service or adjust under warranty any of the above except the camshaft issue and the oscillation problem on one truck. They must be the straw that broke the Toyota camels back. Because these trucks are definitely not living up to the Toyota hype or reliablity reputation. Toyota is definitely off the list of cars that I would recommend to someone that is looking for solid transportation value.
Aren't they built in Texas? Must be the workers fault. :lol: :lol: (Only kidding)
I'm sure Toyota will blame it on something. I had heard of the engine problems not the rest. Toyota tends to fix things on peoples cars on the down low, not charge the owner and make any indication of problems with their vehicles go away. Just my observation. Believe me I have had my share of problems with my Fords, especially my 85 Ford Ranger, it was a piece of crap. But I have had good luck with most others, so I have remained faithful.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
ZBullitt said:
Aren't they built in Texas? Must be the workers fault. :lol: :lol: (Only kidding)
I'm sure Toyota will blame it on something. I had heard of the engine problems not the rest. Toyota tends to fix things on peoples cars on the down low, not charge the owner and make any indication of problems with their vehicles go away. Just my observation. Believe me I have had my share of problems with my Fords, especially my 85 Ford Ranger, it was a piece of crap. But I have had good luck with most others, so I have remained faithful.
Two factories: Normal (?), IL. and San Antonio, TX.

They have already blamed the camshaft supplier. Explain that it is only the 5.7L not the 4.7L. V-8s. Still no plan of repair/replacement/recall. Only if it fails in the first year. But if it is in the first year they are doing the right thing and replacing the engine in it's entirety. That is good for the buyer/owner.

Deny that there is a tailgate problem. Or a Oscillation problem. Or a Brake problem...that isn't right.

Yeah, downlow alright! And everyone gets a bad apple everyso often. I expect it. But 5-10% of the production cycle? Not good. Like I said, they are off of my recommended list.

·
840 Posts
DavidMidgley said:
Yeah, downlow alright! And everyone gets a bad apple everyso often. I expect it. But 5-10% of the production cycle? Not good. Like I said, they are off of my recommended list.
My 85 Ranger was a real bad apple. Had the gray paint on it that kept falling off in different areas all over the vehicle. The 5 speed transmission bearings went out at about 60,000 and then again at about 115,000 (thats when I got rid of it, donated it to a Tech school, let them suffer with it, good learning vehicle). It was a Mitsubishi (sp?) trans, maybe that had something to do with it. It always had a mysterious symptom in the early winter when it was damp and cold out that it would just quit, going 60 or so on interstate, let off gas and it quit, no power steering and no power brakes. Not for good driving in the slippery early winter months in heavy traffic. Never really got that issue figure out, but I spent a ton of money at Ford trying to with no success. It had a carburator with the wires coming out of it, before the Throttle body injectors and just plain fuel injection. I don't remember what the wires controlled in the carburator for emission purposes. I always referred to that one as my "Piece of $hit Ranger". :lol:

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
I beleive that would be the variable venturi carb, or the throttle body with a single spritzer for an injector. The later (throttle body) is more likely, and the tranny a Mitsu unit? IDK, never heard of Ford using Mitsu parts. Mazda, yes. Mitsu, no. I think the throttle body carb/injectors were also Asian supplied, but not Mazda. Maybe NGK, or some company like that.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
BTW, The new Toyota Tundra is only a four star crash rated truck. Everybody, to include Nissan is five star frontal crash rated by the Feds. And the American Insurance Institute didn't get any better results. That's abyssmal considering they have had five years to study and improve on the F-150 which came out five years ago. The GM trucks and Dodge did the same or better than the Ford depending upon the catagory of crash and truck model tested. I'm not certain, but I think the last Toyota Tundra did better in the crash test ratings as well.:lol:

What happened Toyota?:neutral:

·
840 Posts
DavidMidgley said:
I beleive that would be the variable venturi carb, or the throttle body with a single spritzer for an injector. The later (throttle body) is more likely, and the tranny a Mitsu unit? IDK, never heard of Ford using Mitsu parts. Mazda, yes. Mitsu, no. I think the throttle body carb/injectors were also Asian supplied, but not Mazda. Maybe NGK, or some company like that.
It was not a throttle body with injector, it was a carb with choke, accelerator pump, etc. Quite sure it was a Mitsu tranny, they put both a Mazda unit and a Mitsu unit in them for whatever reason and as I remember it was a Mitsu and when rebuiling the bearings came from Japan, probably why they failed the second time so quickly. As my Dad used to call Mitsu, (Mitsub*tchi). :lol:

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
I had a Ranger long bed standard cab for a Government Mule from the Fleet Mgmt Folks at GSA. I think it was an 84 model with a V-6, 2.9L ? Maybe a 3.0L, I don't remember. It was flawless for about 60K miles. Then they took that away and gave me a Chevy Astro Van with a 4.3L V-6. It ran strong, but was raspy and the tranny took a dump every 20-25K miles. As for the carb it did not have any wires to it that I recall, maybe one to an electric choke or some such do-dad.:smile: But I digress. Sorry.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
I still have a 89 ranger with the silver paint that came off the hood.it still has no rust on it though. but its a 4 cyl and 5 spd and it runs great.All I ever did was change the fuel pump and clutch ..its so reliable..my friend has a 1986 ranger with a V6 and 5 speed and it has 300,000 miles on it and he didnt even change the clutch yet.that thing runs and runs...\
the guys at motor trend need to load a Can-am quad into the back of a tundra and watch the tailgate break in half ..and have the trans and cams break..for some reason people just love japanese brand cars and trucks..not me I own 6 fords....

·
840 Posts
chrisW said:
I still have a 89 ranger with the silver paint that came off the hood.it still has no rust on it though. but its a 4 cyl and 5 spd and it runs great.All I ever did was change the fuel pump and clutch ..its so reliable..my friend has a 1986 ranger with a V6 and 5 speed and it has 300,000 miles on it and he didnt even change the clutch yet.that thing runs and runs...\
the guys at motor trend need to load a Can-am quad into the back of a tundra and watch the tailgate break in half ..and have the trans and cams break..for some reason people just love japanese brand cars and trucks..not me I own 6 fords....
My 85 Ranger was a 4 by 4 short box, had the German V-6, displacement I can't remember, but it was a solid lifter camshaft that needed adjustment at whatever mileage, 5 speed, manual transfer case and lockout hubs. I liked the vehicle for what it was, but it did have its share of problems. I have heard of the 4 cylinder 2 wheel drive Rangers going a long time with limited problems. Wish mine would have done the same.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Jimmy Ray said:
At Toyota is all about quanity now, not quality.....
AMEN JR!

New regeim in place at Toyota of America.:shock:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts