Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my paint from Ford today. I`ve used Ford`s touch up paint on other cars, and just could not get it to look right. I want it took to look as good as possible on the Bullitt. Anybody with some good advice on how to make it look good please help. Thanks in advance Mike.

·
Registered
243 Posts
First....you have to understand that no matter what you do, it's always gonna end up looking like a touchup when your done. There's no getting around it. Make sure you clean around the area, get any and all wax off. Any kind of wax and grease remover will work. Then, basically just dab the paint in the chipped area lightly until you cover it. Everybody always makes the mistake of going back and putting that one last dab of paint on it, and they always screw up....basically, one quick dab and thats it. Hope this helps. They havn't exactly come out with an instruction book on this yet.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
I read somewhere if the paint chip is small you can use a toothpick to transfer the paint into the chip. This way you only have the paint in the chip and not overlaping the edges.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bullitt 4542 and Mid Life Crisis 388, this helps alot. I`ve been one of those one last dabbers. Thanks Again Mike

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,027 Posts
When we took Bullette into the body shop to have the trunk repainted, the owner gave us a tip on using the touch up paint that he gave us for our factory chip under driver's side mirror. He said to dap it on with the brush and use your finger to smooth it over the chip. Hubby said it worked very well.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks TwoStangWmn for the tip. With all the tips I`ve got from my fellow Bullittheads I should be able to make it look as good as touch up paint can look. WixBullitt

·
Registered
92 Posts
How did you get the touch up paint? From the dealer? I figured they'd mail me some with an informational booklet or something, but I haven't gotten anything.

Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
When you say "use your finger to smooth it over the chip" what do you mean? Won't that smear it? Or you just press on it with your finger? Please explain.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-09-07 22:00, Bullitt4542 wrote:
They havn't exactly come out with an instruction book on this yet.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Fixing chipped paint instructions;

http://www.autoeducation.com/carcare/paintchips.htm

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,027 Posts
He smeared it in with tip of finger and then let it dry a little bit and then rubbed it out with wax befor it dries completely, all the way around the spot. Hope this helps......

·
Registered
223 Posts
BC

THanks for the link. This person sure seems to know what he is talking about.

I have a small chip to experiment on. By the way does Ford send the touch up paint or do we have to buy it.

Steve

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,027 Posts
Here is the phone number to call to confirm if you are eligible for an appreciation package from Ford. (Some dealers aren't included in the program). 1-800-490-4060 It includes a bottle of touch up paint! (I called for one but never received it).

And here is a phone number to call if you have any concerns considering your Bullitt! 1-888-933-4223.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts