Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Car Whisperer
21,654 Posts
ditto on the amsoil. have tried them all including royal purple. not even close to amsoil

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm going to be doing my clutch this weekend. going to be draining the trans completely. The only reason I'm going to be using the Royal Purple Max ATF is my friend has a few quarts left over at his shop.
I will be putting Amsoil throwout later.
Just want to know if its going to cause any issues. Trans has 130K miles on it.

·
Car Whisperer
21,654 Posts
worse one in my B was the Redline. It shifted really bad in mine. Royal Purple was noisy and notchy. Mobil 1 with the Lucas Tranny fix was better in mine than just Mobil 1, but again, the Amsoil was better than all of them.

·
Registered
278 Posts
SnakeBit said:
worse one in my B was the Redline. It shifted really bad in mine. Royal Purple was noisy and notchy. Mobil 1 with the Lucas Tranny fix was better in mine than just Mobil 1, but again, the Amsoil was better than all of them.[/QUOTE

I Think I'm going to go with the Amsoil. I was planing to change out all the fluids with Amsoil.

·
Car Whisperer
21,654 Posts
surprised at that actually as many on here have used syn fluid in them for many years now.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It maybe fine if you are just putting around town. But when you beat on it is when the problems show up. I ran gm synchromesh for a few years and when I had to have it rebuilt the syncros where gone.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but this statement that the tranny gets better when warm, caught my attention, because mine shifts best when cold. Especially the 2nd to 3rd shift. As soon as the tranny warms, I have bad grinding going from 2nd to 3rd. Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
Synchros. If it's grinding after warm up, then the gears are not synchronizing. A number of companies sell an upgrade kit for the 3650 gearbox.
Try some Lucas transmission fix and see if it's any better? Good luck.

·
Registered
2001 Mustang Bullitt
9 Posts
Would like to revive this thread for more updates. Recent purchase of Bullitt with 30k miles. I have 1-2 shift notchiness and I'm sure the 3650 tranny has the original fluid. From this thread I'm leaning towards an Amsoil change, but would like to hear more recommendations.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I’m not going to get into the fluid brand debate because many people are passionate to a specific brand. The most critical thing to consider with rough shifting from 1st to 2nd is transmission fluid capacity. I recommend that you take a look at the TSB that I will attach and follow the fluid capacity specified in the TSB and do not use the fluid capacity in the owners manual. The TSB also states fluid type by like I said earlier, I’m not going down that road.

Good luck and let us know what fluid you used, your fluid capacity and the results when driving you Bullitt.

·
Registered
2001 Mustang Bullitt
9 Posts
I’m not going to get into the fluid brand debate because many people are passionate to a specific brand. The most critical thing to consider with rough shifting from 1st to 2nd is transmission fluid capacity. I recommend that you take a look at the TSB that I will attach and follow the fluid capacity specified in the TSB and do not use the fluid capacity in the owners manual. The TSB also states fluid type by like I said earlier, I’m not going down that road.

Good luck and let us know what fluid you used, your fluid capacity and the results when driving you Bullitt.
Thanks, this spring I'm switching to 3.73's so I don't have to stay in first too long, LOL. I'm going to measure fluid level when draining to check for overfill.

·
Premium Member
2001 Black Bullitt
11 Posts
Just a brief update. I measured my original to the car Mobil 1 when draining the transmission. Just under 4.0 qts. I re-filled with GM synchromesh (3.2qts) and night and day difference. Very smooth and 1-2 shift notchiness almost gone. I had installed MGW shifter as first mod, so I was shifting with both the original fluid and the GM.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts