Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the rear differential in our bullitts be rebuilt? I saw a carbon clutch rebuild kit on ebay for the trac-loc and I was just curious about it. Do the clutch disks go bad in the trac-loc and when is a good time to replace them? And is a carbon clutch kit an upgrade or does it just replace the factory clutches?

·
Premium Member
18,826 Posts
Bullitt Brad said:
Can the rear differential in our bullitts be rebuilt? I saw a carbon clutch rebuild kit on ebay for the trac-loc and I was just curious about it. Do the clutch disks go bad in the trac-loc and when is a good time to replace them? And is a carbon clutch kit an upgrade or does it just replace the factory clutches?
Brad, I recently had a Ford Racing Trac-Lok LSD (as well as Ford Racing 3.73 gears) installed in my 2007 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. I was told by the installer (Paul's Automotive Engineering, a nationally known Mustang speed shop/restorer here in Cincinnati) that the Trac-Lok LSD rear differential can be rebuilt. I believe that the FR LSD is pretty much the same as a Ford OEM LSD. I was told by the installer that the clutch discs eventually wear out...and to replace them with carbon discs (OEM discs are paper, I believe) if an upgrade is desired since the carbon discs are more durable. I guess you will know to replace the clutch discs when you start doing "peg leg" (one wheel) burnouts.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
They can be rebuilt most shops recommend to rebuild them when you get gears done on your vehicle.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I have known a few people to rebuild them with a Ford rebuilt kit and then I believe the stick one additional clutch disk per side from the old ones, using the best 2. This makes it a little stronger. Never done it myself though.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cochese said:
Brad, I recently had a Ford Racing Trac-Lok LSD (as well as Ford Racing 3.73 gears) installed in my 2007 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. I was told by the installer (Paul's Automotive Engineering, a nationally known Mustang speed shop/restorer here in Cincinnati) that the Trac-Lok LSD rear differential can be rebuilt. I believe that the FR LSD is pretty much the same as a Ford OEM LSD. I was told by the installer that the clutch discs eventually wear out...and to replace them with carbon discs (OEM discs are paper, I believe) if an upgrade is desired since the carbon discs are more durable. I guess you will know to replace the clutch discs when you start doing "peg leg" (one wheel) burnouts.
Good advice...I haven't had any problems with the LSD yet but I'm going to do gears soon (4.10). I plan to get the bearing rebuild kit and I was contemplating getting the carbon clutch kit as well. Good info Colin. Thanks

·
Premium Member
18,826 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've rebuilt a bunch of 8.8 Ford traction lock units. The restacking of the steels and frictions along with addind a friction works well on the street, for awhile. The more horse power you are pushing the earlier the traction lock checks out. I've used the carbon fiber kit before, it did not impress me. It was used on a 03 Cobra, at over 550 RWHP. If you really want to upgrade the rear traction lock and not look back, switch to a Trac Tech "tru trac" unit. They work well.

Mike......

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
yeah, had a local dealership, where a local club member works, do it for me... no more one leg burnouts, and it seems like the rear end grabs harder when i really drop the clutch... i had about 95K on the stock rear end, so it was PAST time to do it!!

for the cost of doing gears, its' worth it to add a few bucks to get the rear rebuilt too!!

shaun

·
Registered
72 Posts
I too believe the 8.8 LSD combo works well (have a 5.0/5spd as well as the Bullitt) and as long as not "hardcore" build up & slicks, they hold up pretty well. For serious, heavy duty, there's always a 9" or Dana combo w/ Detroit Locker but that's a whole axle unit swap obviously.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts