Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Track Day Tuesday

954 views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  MustangMarkus 
#1 · (Edited)
Steve (sixshooter) and I are headed for the track tomorrow. Here are a few shots I took after getting mine ready.

Some of my new equipment: passenger side Schroth harness, Hawk HP plus pads, fresh Wilwood fluid, new premuim rotors, and off course Falken Azenis RT615 track tires mounted on Roush wheels for stick.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
2826 said:
Your car looks great! I was curious about your shoulder harness set up, where did you mount the harnesses in the car? What brand are they and what do they cost?

Thanks,

Dave
Brand: Schroth Rallye 4
Part numbers: 16100 driver side / 16600 passenger side
Price: $155 each

The harness's mount to the stock seat belt anchor locations- something like this

http://www.soloracer.com/rallye4.html

Once I'm done at the track I unclip the rear piece and slip it between the back seat upper and lowers. The front portions can be hidden out of sight under the front seats.

#5 · (Edited)
Weather was in the mid 80's. A few photos before, during, and dirty Bullitts stopping afterwards for a cold beverage...

Attachments

#6 ·
RT615 performance

Curious on how you like the RT615's? I may get a set of these if they work well and hold up. I have heard they overheat quickly for track laping, but do OK for short runs like AX. I run the ST115's for every day tires and they are great, Good in the wet and really quiet.

Thanks
Dave
Blk 1290

#7 · (Edited)
K98dave said:
Curious on how you like the RT615's? I may get a set of these if they work well and hold up. I have heard they overheat quickly for track laping, but do OK for short runs like AX. I run the ST115's for every day tires and they are great, Good in the wet and really quiet.

Thanks
Dave
Blk 1290
After 3 track days I would say there not bad. They are a lot better then the street tires I had used in the past, but they tend to lose a little traction in the 80+ degree heat, especially on the concrete insert patches were the Champ cars have ripped up the asphalt. I'm sure the fact that I end up pushing the car in the latter sessions probably doesn't have anything to do with it. ;)

Tire wear seems to be real even so far, I run 30psi in the rears and 32psi in the fronts and rotate the fronts to back and back to front in a X pattern at this point. The real test maybe yet to come, July 12th will be spent at one of the most tire abusive tracks in the N/W, Pacific Raceway. The track has lots of old pavement and some wicked switch backs that are known to grate the rubber right off the tires.

With that I said I may step up to "R" compond next year or after I use these up.

#8 ·
i've been running the RT-615's this season as well. i got them to run in a auto-x street tire class as well as track days. they're wearing fairly well, considering. that being said, they're really designed more for 1 or 2 hot laps (meaning auto-x really, after each run they need to be sprayed down). they get pretty greasy after about 3-4 open track laps.

if you can find a size that fits in the bridgestone 01r or yokohama neova advan, they're a better overall tire. particularly for track tires. they come in less sizes though. the toyo ra1's are obviously a great compromised r-compound, but they're a track only tire. just that you could drive them to and from the track.

#9 ·
luke partridge said:
i've been running the RT-615's this season as well. i got them to run in a auto-x street tire class as well as track days. they're wearing fairly well, considering. that being said, they're really designed more for 1 or 2 hot laps (meaning auto-x really, after each run they need to be sprayed down). they get pretty greasy after about 3-4 open track laps.

if you can find a size that fits in the bridgestone 01r or yokohama neova advan, they're a better overall tire. particularly for track tires. they come in less sizes though. the toyo ra1's are obviously a great compromised r-compound, but they're a track only tire. just that you could drive them to and from the track.
Thanks Luke, all I need is a compond that I can drive there and back, no wet Track days for me... I may also look into some 9.5" wheels for next year.

#11 ·
the other seat belt option is also a harness bar. sparco makes one that attaches in 4 places that is beautifully made. i went that route because i didn't quite trust the downward angle the rear seatbelt mounts require (and i'm not quite ready to put in a road race cage). however, it makes the backseat useless. the advantage is you can run the 4-pt. schroth rallye asm belts (also the only DOT approved harness), or a 5-pt. full race set-up. i'm not positive, but it is also supposed to add chassis stiffening. some stock auto-x people might frown on it for that reason though.

i also just saw that dunlop is coming out with a new 200 treadwear tire in august (about the same treadwear as the rt-615, 01r, advan neova). might be interesting to try. dunlop's are usually pretty reasonably priced as well.

#12 ·
FordFan said:
After 3 track days I would say there not bad. They are a lot better then the street tires I had used in the past, but they tend to lose a little traction in the 80+ degree heat, especially on the concrete insert patches were the Champ cars have ripped up the asphalt. I'm sure the fact that I end up pushing the car in the latter sessions probably doesn't have anything to do with it. ;)

Tire wear seems to be real even so far, I run 30psi in the rears and 32psi in the fronts and rotate the fronts to back and back to front in a X pattern at this point. The real test maybe yet to come, July 12th will be spent at one of the most tire abusive tracks in the N/W, Pacific Raceway. The track has lots of old pavement and some wicked switch backs that are known to grate the rubber right off the tires.

With that I said I may step up to "R" compond next year or after I use these up.
Was just wondering is that cold tire pressure? Do you check it after your tires get up to temp? You may need to start with a lower pressure. That may be the cause of you losing grip. I run Kumho Victoracer's and start with 26lbs rear and 28 lbs front cold. After a few laps when the tires get up to temp I re-check tire pressure and adj again to 25/26 rear and 27/28 frt. You want to talk about a track that's tough on tires, try Laguna Seca! Two track days and I need a new set! :lol:

#13 ·
DOC - what allignment setting are you using? I'm at 3 deg. neg camber, 1/16 toe out, and 5.5 deg. pos. caster. I use victoracers (275's on 17 x 9 wheels) also and start with higher pressures all around than you. 31 rear and 34 front. I'm getting pretty even hot temps after adjusting. What are your hot temps? I know I'm at higher pressures than Kuhmo recommends but tire wear and temps are good and the car seems well balanced. I'm considering V710's for next year and adjusting the allignment/pressures accordingly. Any thoughts on the V710's?

#14 ·
punk lancelot said:
DOC - what alignment setting are you using? I'm at 3 deg. neg camber, 1/16 toe out, and 5.5 deg. pos. caster. I use victoracers (275's on 17 x 9 wheels) also and start with higher pressures all around than you. 31 rear and 34 front. I'm getting pretty even hot temps after adjusting. What are your hot temps? I know I'm at higher pressures than Kuhmo recommends but tire wear and temps are good and the car seems well balanced. I'm considering V710's for next year and adjusting the alignment/pressures accordingly. Any thoughts on the V710's?
The 710's are a awesome track tire. I have several track buddies who use them exclusively. They have awesome grip once heated up. Don't last as quite as long as the VR 700's. I will be switching to them for my next set. Another excellent track tire is the Avon Tech R-A, excellent grip/very good wear. I use a 3 deg -, .06 toe, 6.7 + caster. My hot temps are 25/26 rear and 27/29 frt. It depends on the track. You do more Auto X than road race yes?

#16 ·
punk lancelot said:
I do much more HPDE that autox. BTW, Tire Rack is having a closeout sale on the Avon Tech R-A. 275/40ZR17 for $149. I've heard that the V710 can get greasy when they get hot and it's advisable to water them between sessions. Any thoughts?

Figures the Tire Rack would have a sale and me short of cash :irked: I have not heard anything like that about the 710's. Never seen anyone water them down in between sessions either.

#17 · (Edited)
DOC1FMF said:
Was just wondering is that cold tire pressure? Do you check it after your tires get up to temp? You may need to start with a lower pressure. That may be the cause of you losing grip. I run Kumho Victoracer's and start with 26lbs rear and 28 lbs front cold. After a few laps when the tires get up to temp I re-check tire pressure and adj again to 25/26 rear and 27/28 frt. You want to talk about a track that's tough on tires, try Laguna Seca! Two track days and I need a new set! :lol:
Those are hot settings. I usually start out 30 - 28 and adjust them after the first session. I know the Kumho's are a gripper tire and will wear faster then the RT-615, I think I had an issue with either the price or sizing. Maybe I'll drop the pressures of the RT-615's a couple lbs during the next outing and see if the grip is any better without sacrificing wear.

#18 ·
Here's a link to a photo show from today's event -->http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/EE9UF5yt

WARNING- do not view if you have a weak stomach for wrecked 03-04 Cobra's

FYI, experimented with tire pressures today, found hot setting of 38psi provided best grip for the Azenis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.