Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That may seem like a silly question, but are you guys turning yours off everytime you start the car, like me? I know the advantages in slippery conditions, and will keep it on in the rain, and during winter months, but I have been disabling it. If someone insists on challenging me, will I get better acceleration if I can't get wheelspin?

:bullitt:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Moljay, you might want to do a search on posts by Lok N Lod to read his tale of woes. Had his TC been on he just may not have totaled his Bullitt. After his experience I just leave my TC on.

John

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I turn mine off EVERY time I start the car. I hate the system dropping out sparkplugs and the floor falling out of RPMs just when I want them. I don't drive fast either...but when I turn a corner and hit a bit of sand in the road I want to be in control, not some computer. When the roads are a bit moist I use tire spin to help me judge the condition of the road and my traction.
Unless the road is ICE...not likely in southern Arizona...the thing is staying off. I just wish I could figure a way for it to default to "Off" rather than "On" upon start-up.
I suppose there are very specific instances where traction control may help, but I bought the car because it's fun to drive...and DRIVE means ME, not a computer. It's the same reason I fly light helicopters for a living rather than larger aircraft with autopilots (No I'm, not a control freak, I just like the merging of man and machine).

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's pretty much how I feel, Dennis. When it's slippery, I like the option of turning it on, but I would like to see it default to the off position. I'm really not a racer, but I like to chirp the tires every now and then. I thought it would be interesting to see what others are doing.

1,169 Posts
I just leave mine alone,I have never had a problem with normal street driving. I do trun it off at the track!! :-B

·
Registered
721 Posts
Everytime I bang second with the TC "on", my car bogs a little before it excels. Thats what it's supposed to do. It's very annoying. I always turn it off when conditions are dry and I'm crusing around. On the other hand when on damp roads, I leave it on. Safer that way. Just use your head and use it according to the situation of the day.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Turn mine off every time I get in the car. Unless it is rmaining or ice on the roads.

·
Registered
147 Posts
You guys are driving your babies in the rain? Shame on you! :smile:

Dark Highland Green #1790
Mods:Baer Racing EradiSpeed Rotors, Eibach springs, Tri-Ax shifter, Mac cold air induction

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Brad1790 on 2001-10-08 20:33 ]</font>

·
Registered
451 Posts
Mine's off 99% of the time, unless roads are wet. (Which is rare since I try to keep the Bullitt out of the rain.)

On dry pavement, that loss of engine power is downright dangerous in some situations! I forgot I had it on one day, and found myself BARELY completing a pass in time due to the "Dog" button still being on. There was no graceful way out of the situation; it turned into a sloppy, and not particularly safe, pass when it shouldn't have been a problem! :evil:

Joe

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,068 Posts
We just leave it on all the time. Unless we're at a light and some one comes along and sets us up or gives us "the look" then hubby clicks the button and off it goes! (Or should I say "Off We Go)" Ye haw!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I leave my "on" unless I intent to chrip a bit. As for the default switch, I belive if you switch the wires on the switch, it will default "off". I don't have the circuit drawings for the Bullitt yet,but plan on ordering them and the shop manual from Ford.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If I autocross or drive this car on a road course, it will be turned off. Otherwise it is on. If you are getting into the TC in corners on the street, I hope you are on a very lonely road. As for burnout action, I guess I'm too old for that.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the input, everyone. The variety of responses sounds like what was going on in my head, there are advantages to both, so I will use my head. I hope I never get too old to enjoy burnouts, but I guess it could happen. :smile:

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
To be honest, I get a chirp banging second with or without it on! I have noticed it kicking in going around a corner when I wanted to power slide around it though. Sucked the power right out of 5508. First time it happened I thought "What the hell was that" and then looked down to see the little orange light was not on. I do agree with everyone else though. I wish it was "OFF" until I wanted it "ON".

The onlt time I noticed a delay in power was slamming 3 at about 80-90 getting on the freeway, running a "PLAIN" GT :-B I had to back off the throttle for a split second to regain the juice!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I leave mine on. Like LOK, I lost one car to lack of traction and don't ever want to loose the Bullitt.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,068 Posts
Hey Bullitt4601--Too old to burn out?!!! Dont't tell hubby BullittBill that! He is 62 going on 29 when in that car and burning rubber whenever possible! :lol:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TwoStangWmn on 2001-10-09 13:30 ]</font>

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've found that with it on I can get a much harder launch. The whole point of traction control system is to regulate your wheelspin after 3/4 turn that way when u launch from high RPM/Horse and torque ranges. You will get about a 3/4 turn in and then it will regulate and put complete amount of torque to the road that is possible without creating wheelspin so in turn if u are dragging it is best to leave it on.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts