Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What happens when traction control comes into play?
I have heard so many answers I still don"t know the
actual answer.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
kills timing and fuel I believe

·
Premium Member
18,830 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,830 Posts
Here's another blurb from FoMoCo regarding traction control...

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=505 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=glossTitle vAlign=center background=/assets/images/help/glossary_behind_titles.gif height=22>Traction Control, Electronic</TD></TR><TR><TD class=font id=glossContent>Using the Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) in combination with engine intervention, this system offers improved vehicle control during acceleration in poor driving conditions by using electronic controls to limit wheel spin.
  • Wheel-speed sensors detect variations in rotational speed between front and rear wheels, and activate the system
  • The system is functional at all speeds using both engine and brake intervention. The Traction Control actuator pulses the brake calipers at the drive wheels to reduce wheel slip. The driver may feel a slight pulsing in the accelerator pedal
  • The system utilizes much of the hardware of the Anti-lock Braking System, including the wheel-speed detectors and ABS computer
  • Traction Control is not available without ABS
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Premium Member
6,282 Posts
Hi Guys,
Thanks Collin. Yet another reason to be an IMBOC Bullitthead.

I did not read your link above but on road course open track day, if I forget to hit the traction control switch, there is a whole lot of sputtering goin'on in certain turns.

As soon as one or both rear tires even begin to break traction, the engine looses power in a way that feels like an electrical problem. I suspect that in our cars it is the same circuit that includes the rev limiter.

So I hit the switch and all is good.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
All this brings up a question to me that may help me diagnose a problem. I am still getting a loud klattering (sp?) sound when the Bullitt is coasting in neutral in a tight circle. Some folks have suggested it may be the clutches in the differential. If so, shouldn't the kalttering go away if I turned off the traction control in the tight circle?

·
Premium Member
6,282 Posts
Hi Dennis,
If a differential clutch is bad, will turning off the traction control change that?

Are you getting two tire marks when you do a burnout?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Wow! I have never done a burnout but like to try it in someone else's car. I am gathering that the traction control and clutches are in not way related to each other.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dennis
You can't be serious about no burnouts or are you?
I needed new rear tires at 4000 miles.

·
Registered
618 Posts
From what I can tell, the traction control does not apply the brake in the 04 and previous mustangs. It cuts the fuel or spark. The car will buck and sputter like it is stalling. It was really quite disturbing the first time I experienced it. However, it is pretty effective for keeping you from completely losing control. I believe the 2005+ does apply the brake in some fashion, not enough to change the direction of the car but enough to bring the amount of wheelspin down.

·
Premium Member
6,282 Posts
fromthecoast said:
From what I can tell, the traction control does not apply the brake in the 04 and previous mustangs. It cuts the fuel or spark. The car will buck and sputter like it is stalling. It was really quite disturbing the first time I experienced it. However, it is pretty effective for keeping you from completely losing control. I believe the 2005+ does apply the brake in some fashion, not enough to change the direction of the car but enough to bring the amount of wheelspin down.

Yes, this is my understanding as well. My guess is that the traction control affects the spark. The first time I experienced the working traction control I thought I had a real problem until I realized what had happened.

Cutting off the fuel could make the engine temporarily run very lean which would not be good in a high performance situation.

The differential clutches are what keep both rear wheels driving rather than one wheel as in a standard differential.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I've had my traction control kick in twice, both times you could smell the fuel that had not been combusted. I also saw a Mach 1 do the exact same thing.

·
Registered
121 Posts
First time I drove mine in the rain I discovered mine...
Scared the crap out of me. Thought I broke something.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Read the explanation of how traction control works on Brian Young's website. For those that don't know, Brian was a Ford calibration engineer on the Bullitt and Mach1 programs.

Look here, part way down the page: http://www.sonicmach1.com/calibration_q_and_a.htm

·
Charles
13,300 Posts
STG said:
Read the explanation of how traction control works on Brian Young's website. For those that don't know, Brian was a Ford calibration engineer on the Bullitt and Mach1 programs.

Look here, part way down the page: http://www.sonicmach1.com/calibration_q_and_a.htm
And this expanation reveals why when you have an ABS problem that the T/C light on the switch comes on as well.

·
Registered
987 Posts
dennisbaker said:
All this brings up a question to me that may help me diagnose a problem. I am still getting a loud klattering (sp?) sound when the Bullitt is coasting in neutral in a tight circle. Some folks have suggested it may be the clutches in the differential. If so, shouldn't the kalttering go away if I turned off the traction control in the tight circle?
Yeah its ur clutch packs working in the rear. Mine does the same thing and its a brand new rear end. It all depends on the clutch combo you have on the t-lock. I dont know the right combo to get rid of the noise but I do know u need more carbon clutchs.

·
Registered
618 Posts
The clattering is prob your LSD. TC should have no bearing on that.

·
Premium Member
6,282 Posts
Yes, you can disable the traction control with the switch that is found on the vertical panel six inches in front of the shifter. When the LED is on, the traction control is disabled.

·
Registered
97 Posts
PhotoRick said:
Yes, you can disable the traction control with the switch that is found on the vertical panel six inches in front of the shifter. When the LED is on, the traction control is disabled.
I must be blind as a freaking bat to not have seen that..I'll take a look in a few.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts