Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the traction control thing. I read the manual but it was not informative at all. Could someone tell what does it do and when it should be off or on?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Well venom
when the tires spin unequally the T/C will I believe combinations of the following. Turn fuel of to cylinders, apply the rear brakes, and a small green snail will apear on your dash. Most here believe that the T/C is a turbo boost button that when activated (light on) will allow you to spin your wheels were ever you want. I leave mine on in the rain.

jjrocks
Blk Bullitt #2754
Jim

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
from what ive heard, what TC does is that if one wheel is spinning more than the other, it will either slow the spinning tire or speed up the laggin one. when it is deactived, (light off - TC off), u are able to spin the tires as long as you want -- very nice for peel-outs. i leave the TC on (light on) whenever i drive, esp in the rain, so i dont fishtail, spin out, or crash my blue beauty! also, i leave it on when i race, just in case i start spinning tires off the line or when i change gears. i turn it off (deactivate it) when i do peel outs, or when i want to corner a tight turn with a little fish-tail action/spinning tires. hope this info helps!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm pretty sure all it does is apply the brakes to the wheel that is slipping. And, no offense jjrocks, but it's not a snail...it's a spinning tire.:-B

·
Registered
467 Posts
Bullitt 2293
I know its a spinning tire But it looks like a snail

and that is funnier
you made me smile thanks

when talking to team mustang about the TC they stated. The default is TC on that way gomer cant sue buy saying I crashed from no TC control he had to manually turn TC off

jjrocks
Blk Bullit #2754
Jim

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jjrocks on 2001-11-12 23:47 ]</font>

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-11-12 22:53, Barnaby wrote:
Light on = Traction-Control off

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

oops... i thought it sounded funny when i was typing... Light On, means TC off...

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
There is more to the TC than just applying brakes to the wheel that is spinning. The motor will cut out on you (kill either the spark or fuel) if the computer detects it. I was shifting hard from 1st to 2nd this past weekend and I thought my car had stalled when I hit 2nd. Talk about taking the wind out of my sails! I was really disappointed in the TC on this car. The only other experience with a vehicle with TC was my dad's Z06. This car is what TC is all about. You never know it is on, even when it is working. On my Bullitt, there is NO denying that it came on. My recommendation: leave it off unless driving in the rain or snow.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Bullitt, but I think the TC could have been a lot better.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I know that some company makes an intermediate wiring harness that goes in between the traction control switch and the factory harness of F bodies that are so equiped. It changes it from TC default on to default off. Has anyone seen such a creature for Bullits and other TC equiped SN-95's?

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
someone posted a link to a webpage that automatically turns it off. I have a copy of the webpage and the guys email but I do not have a directlink.

·
Registered
27 Posts
jjrocks...didn't mean to imply you were a 'tard or anything. some people on this site are young (you could be for all i know) and i thought maybe venom might be looking for a snail when his tc kicks in...could be confusing.

·
Registered
237 Posts
On 2001-11-12 23:41, jjrocks wrote:
Bullitt 2293
I know its a spinning tire But it looks like a snail

and that is funnier
you made me smile thanks

jjrocks
Blk Bullit #2754
Jim

The snail thing is funny but, when I look at it when it is on, I think of the spinning tire and it beckons to me to LIGHT 'EM UP! It's like it's telling you check and make sure the tires will fry! Caution, using this icon in this way could be costly in tire replacement!! :grin:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Traction Control Light clarification?

PaLiAcH said:
from what ive heard, what TC does is that if one wheel is spinning more than the other, it will either slow the spinning tire or speed up the laggin one. when it is deactived, (light off - TC off), u are able to spin the tires as long as you want -- very nice for peel-outs. i leave the TC on (light on) whenever i drive, esp in the rain, so i dont fishtail, spin out, or crash my blue beauty! also, i leave it on when i race, just in case i start spinning tires off the line or when i change gears. i turn it off (deactivate it) when i do peel outs, or when i want to corner a tight turn with a little fish-tail action/spinning tires. hope this info helps!
In your post you note "i leave the TC on (light on) whenever i drive." When the light is ON I believe TC is OFF. This TC thing is vey confusing to me and I for one leave TC ON which means the Light is OFF. If I want to blast down the road and run at the Drag Strip I would Turn TC OFF.

I apolgize if I'm in fact still confused.

·
Banned
11,692 Posts
joe i think your rite,or thats the way i see it.i dont think the question has satfactorally ben answered,so come on fellows help a old timer out.this is a good thread if we get the correct answer.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Traction control cuts the spark to the cylinders momentarily. Also, it pulses the brake on the slipping wheel. I saw one poster mentioned that he drag races with the traction control on. That will kill your time, bro. Any time you race these cars, traction control off is a must.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I know it definatly cuts engine power, I booted mine to overtake and the car suddenly held back on the wrong side of the road, I thought it had stalled or something, when I looked down the TC light was on, after lifting off the throttle and traction regained all OK again.

It is a good feature for the likes of me who are used to flooring 4 cyl cars we have in europe, but for those experienced they would prefer it off, let the screach of tyres tell them traction has been lost.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
The available All-Speed Traction Control uses components of the Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) to monitor wheel slippage at any speed. The system improves traction on slippery or loose driving surfaces by using a combination of brake and/or engine control:

1. Braking at one or both drive wheels
2. Fuel injection cutoff
3. Ignition spark retard
4. Air/fuel ratio control

When the traction control system is activated at speeds of 34 mph or higher, the braking system is deactivated and only engine control is used to limit wheel spin.

Traction control helps provide a confident driving experience under adverse road conditions - improving vehicle traction and steering control - without sacrificing dry-pavement performance. Something you'll appreciate in any driving situation:

1. When the lane is slippery on one or both sides
2. As the vehicle pulls out from icy parking lots or highway shoulders
3. During acceleration when cornering

The system is tuned specifically for the Mustang driver, adjusting control when cornering or accelerating to provide traction when you need it.

Traction Control may be switched off when more performance-oriented driving is desired. The system defaults to ON when the engine is started. The Traction Control switch is easily accessible in the shifter bezel in front of the gearshift lever. When Traction Control is operating, you will see the light in the instrument cluster.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Mid Life Crisis #388 said:
The available All-Speed Traction Control uses components of the Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) to monitor wheel slippage at any speed. The system improves traction on slippery or loose driving surfaces by using a combination of brake and/or engine control:

1. Braking at one or both drive wheels
2. Fuel injection cutoff
3. Ignition spark retard
4. Air/fuel ratio control

When the traction control system is activated at speeds of 34 mph or higher, the braking system is deactivated and only engine control is used to limit wheel spin.

Traction control helps provide a confident driving experience under adverse road conditions - improving vehicle traction and steering control - without sacrificing dry-pavement performance. Something you'll appreciate in any driving situation:

1. When the lane is slippery on one or both sides
2. As the vehicle pulls out from icy parking lots or highway shoulders
3. During acceleration when cornering

The system is tuned specifically for the Mustang driver, adjusting control when cornering or accelerating to provide traction when you need it.

Traction Control may be switched off when more performance-oriented driving is desired. The system defaults to ON when the engine is started. The Traction Control switch is easily accessible in the shifter bezel in front of the gearshift lever. When Traction Control is operating, you will see the light in the instrument cluster.
Excellent explanation. That's why Kenne Bell insists that I drive with the TC "off". If you cut off the injectors under boost, the resultant detonation could be catastrophic.
Bruce

1 - 20 of 31 Posts