Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled out the other morning, and notice a small spot on garage floor…I thought it was more clear than red, thinking maybe something from recent work on shocks, struts, spring, etc

The wife is out in the jeep, so I don’t have a jack to get under there…I slid the cellphone under there to look around

The first picture is just stock, to show it in relation to tranny drain plug, the second photo is my actual photo and shows the drop of fluid forming…

Automotive tire Gear Motor vehicle Gas Rim

Automotive tire Font Gas Motor vehicle Wood

· Premium Member
930 Posts
Hard to tell w/ 2nd pic as the fluid seems brown vs. red, but evidence on 1st pic could be loose plug??? Maybe? Did you try to tighten?

Reactions: FarmerDon

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, the first photo is something I pulled off the internet, just to show that the bolt, with the drop of fluid is behind the tranny drain plug, it’s in a cross member with some type of rubber bumper..

Heres a picture of my drain plug, it looks dry, as does the area around it.…I doubt if I have a the right tool to tighten, may have to go ask some neighbors

Automotive tire Font Gas Auto part Circle

· Premium Member
16,764 Posts
Look like a square drive extension would fit. 1/2" drive?

(edit) Should you decide to remove it, be sure the fill plug is loose. Don't make the mistake of draining a transmission, then discovering you can't remove the fill plug.

· BULLITT In The Chamber
140 Posts
I would clean the floor and the drip area. Then check it the next day or two to see exactly where the drip on the floor lines up with.

· Premium Member
16,764 Posts
The pic with the drip shows a plug with what looks like a "crush gasket". A crush gasket is often made of a soft metal, copper or aluminum, and is to be used only once to prevent leaks. They should be used with a torque wrench to be tightened to an engineered specification, "crushing" the washer. Mechanics often get sloppy about this, will reuse the old washer and/or not torque to spec. Drips result...

Your options? Place something to catch drips until it's time to change trans fluid...or change fluid now, being sure a new crush washer and proper torque are used.

If it were my car, I'd probably just catch the drips until time to change. It doesn't look like enough fluid loss to do any harm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts