Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aight guys, i put up a thread about a month ago metioning a slight rattle in 4th and 5th when accelerating around 2800+rpms. This morning the trans ran smoother than it ever has and it was awesome. I drove it home from work and it was clunky and i noticed that i could feel a slight rattle in 3rd around the same rpms. I have to drive this thing like a granny to get it to be as smooth as i should be. I dont know what is wrong. I thought i might have been the shift knob just a little loose but i put some thread tape and tighted it a far as i could and it still did it. I wasnt too worried but then today happens. Im getting a little annoyed at this tranny. Do you guys have any seggestions.
....I wish someone could drive it to see if im just crazy, as i am quite inexperianced with manual transmissions

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I got a clunk too. I just shift smooth. These trans are a crap shoot, some members here are running stock trannys and clutchs with some pretty good HP under the hood. and other break them in stock trim. Like I have said I'm not going to worry about mine untill is breaks. If you want I can check it out sometime. I think I gave you my # if you need it again just PM me.
Steve.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Have you tried the "Tremec Miracle Cure"? Namely, change the fluid to 3.2 quarts of Royal Purple? This cheap procedure made the difference on Bullitt 3631. All you've got to lose is $30 and a hour of your time. (Two hours and $200+ if you decide to do the short-throw-shifter swap at the same time).

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jeff Laughhunn said:
Have you tried the "Tremec Miracle Cure"? Namely, change the fluid to 3.2 quarts of Royal Purple? This cheap procedure made the difference on Bullitt 3631. All you've got to lose is $30 and a hour of your time. (Two hours and $200+ if you decide to do the short-throw-shifter swap at the same time).
well i already have the shifter in and thats what some people have said could be causing the rattle at higher RPMs. I think im going to try changing the fluid. Do you have specific type on the Royal Purple or is it just a standard trans fluid?

I also was just looking at people who have done the T56 conversion, have you done the conversion 736? I was wondering how hard that was to do. although i dont have the money for that now i would consider that for the future.

·
Car Whisperer
20,789 Posts
what kind of shifter and what kind of knob? Mine has a rattle too, and it appears to come from the knob. I have a Triax, Hurst stick and Hurst knob. The knob is the white 5-speed knob and the knob has an insert in it that is the threaded portion and utilizes a hold-downd type nut that screws up against the knob. The knob threads onto the stick, but to position the knob properly you have to use the nut as when you tighten the knob without the nut, the 5-speed pattern is facing the wrong way. When I tighten it that way, it pretty much eliminates the rattle. When I use the nut and really crank down on it, it quiets it for awhile, but it usually comes back (like it is now).

Another thing that will cause a rattle is the shifter stick will loosen at times and needs to be re-tightened. If you have a Triax, it is one of the other potential sources as they are very noisey....one of the negatives of this shifter. Using CobraBob's gasket set on it helps, but it is still noisey.

Don't know if this helps or not.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the Tri-ax whole assembly with the stock shifter ball. It just screws right on im not really sure what urs is but i put some thread tape on there and it still did it. I had to keep it a little loose otherwise the shift pattern was sideways. I guess i check it out really good when i change the fluid.....is there any specific royal purple to use?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Bullitt2436KM said:
I have the Tri-ax whole assembly with the stock shifter ball. It just screws right on im not really sure what urs is but i put some thread tape on there and it still did it. I had to keep it a little loose otherwise the shift pattern was sideways. I guess i check it out really good when i change the fluid.....is there any specific royal purple to use?
Use Royal Purple SynchroMax:
http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/scmax.html

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Have you checked all the bolts in the shifter and handle. I have a tri-ax, I used rubber between the handle and shifter, and have very little noise. Very little, very little.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
The TSB calls for 3.2 qts of mobile1 ATF. I did mine the week after I bought it.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
My tsb has no mention of Mobil 1 atf. Mine says use Mercon atf--3.0 liters: part no. XT-2-QDX

·
Charles
13,300 Posts
Bullitt2436KM said:
well i already have the shifter in and thats what some people have said could be causing the rattle at higher RPMs. I think im going to try changing the fluid. Do you have specific type on the Royal Purple or is it just a standard trans fluid?

I also was just looking at people who have done the T56 conversion, have you done the conversion 736? I was wondering how hard that was to do. although i dont have the money for that now i would consider that for the future.
I have the 3650. I was actually half joking and half serious about the T56. I've had no problems with mine other than it is a little notchy when cold.

I have the TriAx with the stock shift ball on it. I have my shift stop screws still installed but tightened all the way down so that they are not in use. I had one start backing out and it rattled.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts