Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
someone had told me to change the trans fluid to Royal Purple Syncromax and that would smooth it out somewhat. I have the fluid now im just trying to find out how i should go about changing it. I found out how to do it myself but im wondering if it would be better to have the entire thing flushed. Like AAMCO is offering the power purge or whatever for 99 bucks and they will do it every year for free afterwards. I was wondering how you guys would go about it. Is it that much better to have it purged out or would just draining it and filling it back up be sufficient?

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
My trans wasn't shifting properly (used car). I took it to the Ford dealer and the tech flushed the Royal Purple and replaced it with the Ford tranny fluid. It shifts better than it did, not perfect, but better. Others will swear by Royal Purple. The Service Advisor told me that the stuff voids the warranty on the tranny and that I should not use it unless I wanted to buy the transmission when it fails. Let your conscience be your guide, it's your car. I'll do what the owners service manual says this one is my car.

·
Car Whisperer
20,783 Posts
Get a new shifter and do it all at once. It will be easier that way. Just take the drain plug out of the bottom of the tranny, drain it, put the plug back in, take off the old shifter, pour the 3.2 into the tranny, bolt in the new shifter and enjoy your car. If you buy the gaskets from CobraBob he sells, then you don't have to use RTV to seal up the shifter and then you can change the fluid more easily by going thru the top. Otherwise, you have to use and gun to squeeze in the new fluid from underneath which is a real pain.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its already got a triax.......man idk wut to do now i heard like 3 guys say that the royal purple works awesome and this guy who uses the ford n says the royal purple isnt that good. any other opinions?

this trans sucks i want a t-56....but thats not comin anytime soon

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
You know what? The fluid that works for others may not work for you. It's a bizarre fact about this transmission. At one time it seemed like the the hot setup was going to be the Redline ATF. It worked out for some, but I could barely even shift mine. I know others had a similar problem with Redline as well. I dumped about 40 bucks down the drain in under 500 miles and put Advance Auto Part Dexron III in there (the cheapest stuff I could find.) It worked much better, but was not as good as the factory fill. So I went back to Mobil 1 and have run it since.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I use mobile 1 atf in mine and its a wee bit notchy when cold. It defiantly got better when I changed it to mobile one. Make sure you only use 3.2-3.5 qts. It wont spill out of the fill tube. And ammco power purge is for automatic transmissions, for a manual you just loosen the plug drain and fill.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
aight well im glad i asked....i kinda feel like a moron tho
-im gonna try the Royal Purple i mean i have it and if i doesn't help than ill do the Mobil 1
I think im gonna get those CobraBob gaskets too and I can just pour the fluid in there when it is off

is there any kind of fluid filter that needs to be replaced or checked?

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I had red line in mine, had the rebuild done and it now has the fluid from Ford. Works fine. Only 3.2 qts. After the rebuild a new sticker was in the kit, it was for the fill line. Much lower that full would be.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I put Royal Purple in mine and it did help a bit.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok so once i get the fluid drained and the shifter off....i can just pour the 3.2 in through where the shifter mounts, is that correct?

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
I have used the GM Syncro Mesh fluid with great success. Tremec recommends it,and they built the trans. I understand Pennzoil makes it,and you can buy that under the Pennzoil brand and save some money. Just change it every year!

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Bullitt2436KM said:
ok so once i get the fluid drained and the shifter off....i can just pour the 3.2 in through where the shifter mounts, is that correct?
after you put the drain plug in. :smile:

·
Car Whisperer
20,783 Posts
01GTB said:
You know what? The fluid that works for others may not work for you. It's a bizarre fact about this transmission. At one time it seemed like the the hot setup was going to be the Redline ATF. It worked out for some, but I could barely even shift mine. I know others had a similar problem with Redline as well. I dumped about 40 bucks down the drain in under 500 miles and put Advance Auto Part Dexron III in there (the cheapest stuff I could find.) It worked much better, but was not as good as the factory fill. So I went back to Mobil 1 and have run it since.
Same thing for me...read about the Redline, put it in and it shifted worse. Shifter better with Valvoline in it. Have the Royal Purple in there now and it seems OK, but these trannys are never good. It's a matter of what you can live with.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts