Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Bullittheads, I recently posted a post entitled noise. I said at the time that it wasn't quite metallic sounding and it was hard to identify the source from where it was coming. I spent almost a week underneath the car trying to find it because I didnt want the dealer to touch my Bullitt.
I thought at first it might be in the rack and pinion but I have found out I was wrong.
It would do it on acceleration and decceleration and on some big bumps in the road. What me and my 88 year old father-in-law found out and he got underneath the car.
was that the 2 cross member bolts for the rear of the transmission were both loose ( we used a pry bar to pry against the bracket and transmission) from the factory so when I accelerated the torque would cause the bolt heads to slide in the slots of the bracket creating the noise I heard. Once the bolts were tight I took it for a test and no more noise. So I would suggest that all you Bullitt owners check the torque on those bolts because I could take mine out by hand.
And if this saves anyone the aggravation I had it would be well worth it! Thanx, Havgun
#1676 1200 miles and counting :smile:

PS: If anyone finds there bolts loose please let me know by a post and I'll send and email to Art Hyde chief Mustang Engineer! Just want to know if this is just an isolated incident or a bigger problem. Just glad the bolts didn't come all the way out so I could watch my drive shaft turn into a pretzel:)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1NastyFordGT on 2001-07-02 14:50 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
OK, I checked mine and the 4 bolts to the frame and the 2 bolts to the trans must have been done by the same Monkey that put my Oil filter one. They would not budge. Now if I had not gone out and checked I never would have gotten any sleep tonight.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
Havgun, you are NOT alone. took my baby in last week for some warranty work and my biggest problem was a "clunk" or Thunck" that you could hear AND FEEL when down shifting AND engaging reverse. it started out very small and continued to get worse and worse. guesss what?? 2 of the bolts on the braces/crossmember were loose and allowing too much movement and therefor noise.!! dealer has been VERY cool though! i would recommend anyone with what sounds like suspension or drivetrain noises to have the bolts on ALL braces checked!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had the exact same problem. Clunking when shifting, vibrations, etc.

I took it to the dealer for service, and they found the transmission mounting bolts were loose. They replaced them with new bolts, and applied lock-tite.

I reported this to the person that called my house for the customer satisfaction survey, and I also told this to Art Hyde and Scott Hoag IN PERSON at the Mid-America Ford Performance and Shelby meet a few weekends ago.

This is very alarming that I am hearing more than one report of this. I think Ford should definitely look into doing something pro-active about it.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
bob, i agree, my dealer service technician said it was a surprising thing for them to find. he said it appeared that 2 bolts had only been "HAND TIGHTENED". i admit that i am pretty concerned about it and the damage it could have caused or the damage it could have COST us!
the rest of my problems were minor ones and ALL realted to factory production quality.
will post a list soon, if only to "vent" a little

·
Registered
264 Posts
Thx a bunch for the heads up. I didn't even think to check mine...you would assume that they would tighten this stuff properly....

Oh well....I gather this weekend will be spent checking each and every exposed bolt under there....

Paul G.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
I hate to say this, but our entier socity is filled with people who couldn't give a Rat's a$$ about doing a good job or having pride in workmanship. I just found out late tonight that one of my F14 Tomcat's engines was FODed (forgien obect damage), the jet hadn't flown since early today, The Sailior that was responsible, for doing the post flight inspection gaffed off diveing the intakes and inspecting the engines. So I guess I get to fire a Plane captain on Thursday. Whats sad, is this will be about the 6th sailior in 5 months that we've caught so derelict in their duties that they will have to go see the old man. So that being said, I really think we need a wake up call. Some of us are getting paid way to much.

·
Registered
351 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-07-01 20:10, Havgunwiltrav wrote:
Ok Bullittheads, I recently posted a post entitled noise. I said at the time that it wasn't quite metallic sounding and it was hard to identify the source from where it was coming. I spent almost a week underneath the car trying to find it because I didnt want the dealer to touch my Bullitt.
I thought at first it might be in the rack and pinion but I have found out I was wrong.
It would do it on acceleration and decceleration and on some big bumps in the road. What me and my 88 year old father-in-law found out and he got underneath the car.
was that the 2 cross member bolts for the rear of the transmission were both loose ( we used a pry bar to pry against the bracket and transmission) from the factory so when I accelerated the torque would cause the bolt heads to slide in the slots of the bracket creating the noise I heard. Once the bolts were tight I took it for a test and no more noise. So I would suggest that all you Bullitt owners check the torque on those bolts because I could take mine out by hand.
And if this saves anyone the aggravation I had it would be well worth it! Thanx, Havgun
#1676 1200 miles and counting :smile:

PS: If anyone finds there bolts loose please let me know by a post and I'll send and email to Art Hyde chief Mustang Engineer! Just want to know if this is just an isolated incident or a bigger problem. Just glad the bolts didn't come all the way out so I could watch my drive shaft turn into a pretzel:)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1NastyFordGT on 2001-07-02 14:50 ]</font>
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE> Has anyone noticed a vibration when accelerating, and also when you just touch the clutch before disengaging from the engine. Are you able to access these bolts without jacking the car?

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-07-06 22:39, northern bullitt wrote:

Has anyone noticed a vibration when accelerating, and also when you just touch the clutch before disengaging from the engine. Are you able to access these bolts without jacking the car?
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I have seen these both. BTW: BE CAREFUL when jacking the car. Watch out for the lower facia pieces (long story).

I will be putting up some pics here in a few with the area that might have some loose bolts. In my case, the bolts were tight, and the noise I have is still there.

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Here are some pics I took while my Dad took a look at the bolts. He couldn't get them to budge, so I guess that slight clunk that I have been hearing is somewhere else under the car. :sad:

I hope these are somewhat helpful. Once again, I'm trying to add value here. :smile:

Here's the general area of the brace.

The Transmission brace with the two, larger center bolts visible

Passenger side

Driver side

Mike

DHG #1161

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullittoid on 2001-07-07 08:51 ]</font>

·
Registered
351 Posts
Great pics and really appreciate the help! WAs planning to wash #569 first thing this morning , but will now check these bolts it is worth a try. Have a good day eh!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Havgunwiltrav, thanks for the heads up on this problem. I haven't had any noises so far, but I'll check these bolts just to be sure.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Thanx for the great pics!! I've got some investigatin' to do now!!

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
On 2001-07-07 10:32, Blakwing wrote:
Thanx for the great pics!! I've got some investigatin' to do now!!

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

And I only hit my head (on a jackstand) once. :roll:

Mike

DHG #1161

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullittoid on 2001-07-07 10:52 ]</font>

·
Registered
543 Posts
I asked my dealer to check the transmission mount bolts during pre-delivery prep. Sure enough they were not tight. They also ordered and installed an additional brace that is installed on the regular GT but not on the Bullitt.

John

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
thanks again Mike!!!

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
I love this digital camera when it comes to web pics. My dad just laughed at me when I kept asking him to hang on a second so I could get a shot of the parts. :smile:

I believe geek was used at one point. :smile:

Mike

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanx Mike for the added pics ! I guess My post was pretty accurate as far as the location, the pics hit the nail on the head!
Well I found that noise and now I have a damn squeak coming from the left front driver side 1400 miles and a squeak I cant believe it! Man now this one is gonna be really tuff! Well best wishes to all you Bullittheads and on to conquer another problem. Man this is like playing hide and seek :smile: Thanx Havgun #1676

1 - 20 of 31 Posts