Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I am paranoid, but that Tranny still seems odd. Its almost like it doesn't want to go into gear sometimes. Is that the synchros I am feeling? I am putting the clutch all the way to the floor, and I feel two or three distinct"notches" when going into third.

I keep telling myself, this is not a museum piece, don't worry about it, but I don't want to let a problem go. :wink:

1,169 Posts
I know what you mean. I have the some problems, I think alot of us do. I not sure what to do,Can we all have a bad trans etc.????

·
Registered
610 Posts
This clutch/ tranny combo is definitly quirky.Iv'e driven well over 200,000. on manual mustangs and in just over 200 miles on the bullitt have had 5 "missed shifts" primarily 2nd to 3rd.You can't get lazy onj the upshift.Unfortunately I don't think its a "defect",were going to have to adjust for it. :???:

·
Registered
225 Posts
The shift pattenis one of the closest I think I have ever seen.I took mine back the first day I had it because I couldn't fine reverse, found out it was operator error.It is going to take some getting use to.

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If this is the way it is supposed to be, I am okay with it (I like the tight pattern), but I am just worried about that "feeling" that even when I put the clutch all the way in, the tranny seems to "not want" to let it into gear.

I know, I am paranoid, but it doesn't feel like the clutch is completely engaged. :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1NastyFordGT on 2001-09-16 18:14 ]</font>

·
Registered
959 Posts
I found mine to be a bit notchy but I'm not having any real problems finding gears. I think we all need to let the trannies break in a bit anyway befoe passing judgement. I plan on getting rid of the Mobil One oil from mine later on in the summer and put Redline "lightweight" ShockProof in mine. We found this oil to work wonders in the Tremec in our '95 Cobra R. We were blowing 3rd gears out regularly and the shockproof stopped the breakage.

Brian
FordBullitt #66

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
I found mine has some "chinks" when going into 2nd. Third and up seems fine. As far as reverse, I just push the shifter as far right as i can go then down and so for found it every time.
CAm

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-05-30 16:44, 1NastyFordGT wrote:
QUOTE;

(If this is the way it is supposed to be, I am okay with it (I like the tight pattern), but I am just worried about that "feeling" that even when I put the clutch all the way in, the tranny seems to "not want" to let it into gear.

I know, I am paranoid, but it doesn't feel like the clutch is completely engaged.)

If the clutch isn't engagine all the way, you'll hear the synchros whine when you've got pressure on the stick in forward gears and it would grind badly going for reverse. Reverse has no synchros.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought the Tremec 2650 did have snychros for reverse. :???:

So if I press up on the stick when in 3rd, I'll hear whining if the clutch isn't engaging 100%. Sorry.. Its been a long day at work, and I think I am dense. I am not sure i understand.

Thanks for the reply eitherway though. :wink:

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think I hear it whine when trying to go into forward, so I think I might be okay (maybe its just a notchy tranny -- ie. I am not sued to driving something that isn't sloppy :smile:

As far as the reverse synchro.. Let me see if I can find the spec I picked up somewhere...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1NastyFordGT on 2001-09-16 18:15 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think this is where I read it first. This was posted by someone.

The TREMEC TR3450/TR3650 is designed for rear wheel drive ***** up trucks & cars
and is ideal for specialty sports cars equipped with high torque engines.

Features:

High contact ratio helical gears for maximum strength
Needle bearings under all gears reduces friction and noise while improving
reliability.
Taper bearings on the input, main and counter shafts provide ample torque
capacity.
High strength aluminum housings reduce weight
Back-tapered synchronizer splines eliminate gear jump-out
Overdrive in fifth gear helps improve fuel economy
Fifth speed synchronizer located on the counter shaft reduces rattle and shift
effort
Constant mesh synchronized reverse.
Multiple shift lever locations accepted:
Front-with the shift lever directly over the case ideal for pickup trucks
Rear-(ideal for passenger cars) accommodates the lever on the rearmost part of
the extension
Engineered friction materials for improved shiftability and synchronizer
durability
Multiple cone synchronizers on 1st. & 2nd. Reduces shift efforts
High capacity synchronizers on 3rd., 4th., 5th. and reverse reduces shift
efforts.

No. Speed Gear Ratios

1 3.82
2 2.31
3 1.42
4 1.00
5 0.74
Reverse 3.82

Torque Capacity
(LBS.-FT.) 335
(N-m.) 454

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mine is a bit tough to get from 2nd to 3rd also. I have been noticing the tranmission loosening up, and the shifting has been getting easier, but that 3rd gear is still tough to hit.

I have no probs getting reverse though.

I'm anxious to hear how that gear oil switch goes though. Be sure to post it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Going into reverse was a bit tricky but found out the tranny has a safety feature that prevents that from happening say at 120 mph :smile: Just go to neutral first to the right and then down always neutral first and presto easy as pie ! thanx Havgun

1 - 12 of 12 Posts