Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there any way of telling if the 5 speed trans in an 08 bullitt has internal damage without tearing it apart?

my bullitt is one of the ones where the gear grinds when shifting from 2nd. to 3rd. when the car is stone cold. once the car warms up, this grinding disappears. my car currently has 6700 miles and it seems to drive fine with absolutely no sign of transmission damage. there are no weird noises, hard shifting, slipping out of gear, etc. however, during the ten plus times or so, when the gears did clash, there were enough noise and grinding that it seem the trans would drop out of the car.

i have spoken to the dealer about getting the car checked as i know there is a tsb on this problem. but knowing the trans has to be pulled, and realizing that sometimes when things are replaced, things never fit as well as when the car was built, i'm hesistant about doing this. on the other hand, though the trans does not exhibit any sign of damage now, i hate to find out later when the car has more mileage, that something is wrong in there.

so, is it possible to have extensive damage in the trans and have the trans not exhibit any signs? or if the trans had been damaged when the gears clashed, i would know it by now?

thanks,

ed

·
Banned
1,313 Posts
If it were me, I wouldn't worry at all about the transmission being removed, repaired and replaced by the Ford dealer. It's what they do and removing and replacing a transmission in a Mustang ain't no big deal. It would be pretty difficult to screw it up.

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
39,282 Posts
edw794 said:
is there any way of telling if the 5 speed trans in an 08 bullitt has internal damage without tearing it apart?

my bullitt is one of the ones where the gear grinds when shifting from 2nd. to 3rd. when the car is stone cold. once the car warms up, this grinding disappears. my car currently has 6700 miles and it seems to drive fine with absolutely no sign of transmission damage. there are no weird noises, hard shifting, slipping out of gear, etc. however, during the ten plus times or so, when the gears did clash, there were enough noise and grinding that it seem the trans would drop out of the car.

i have spoken to the dealer about getting the car checked as i know there is a tsb on this problem. but knowing the trans has to be pulled, and realizing that sometimes when things are replaced, things never fit as well as when the car was built, i'm hesistant about doing this. on the other hand, though the trans does not exhibit any sign of damage now, i hate to find out later when the car has more mileage, that something is wrong in there.

so, is it possible to have extensive damage in the trans and have the trans not exhibit any signs? or if the trans had been damaged when the gears clashed, i would know it by now?

thanks,

ed
I concur with Bob on the removal of your tranny. No biggie. That's what they're trained to do, and on the off-chance they DID screw something up, they'd have to make it good anyway. Either way, you're the winner.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I was parnoid for them to tear it apart, but after it was done I knew it was the right thing.

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
edw794 said:

thanks,

ed
Ed,

I work for a Dealer and I can assure you that dropping your trans. out to us is

No-Big-Deal.

Get it done...........

tigerhonaker

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
edw794 said:

my bullitt is one of the ones where the gear grinds when shifting from 2nd. to 3rd. ~~
This may seem like a stupid question,
but in light of some advice on this web site,
Are you using your clutch?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the replies but i would still like to know about any possible transmission damaged that may have occurred when the gears did grind. the car runs fine and there is no indication of problems, but could there be a problem without any symptoms? or is it a case where "i would know it by now?"

ed

·
Registered
221 Posts
the grinding is actually the syncros and not the gears per say. I doubt that there is any damage as it would grind everytime if there was any permanent damage. I would get it taken care of under warranty. That is what it is for.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I wouldn't worry about them removing and re-installing the tranny if they have to. The Mustang is about the easiest car to remove a tranny on now a days I would think. Remember that in the NHRA drag racing world they pretty much remove the tranny and engine from the race car every race if not every day and then they go down a track 200-300 miles per hour! Relax and get it fixed. :wink:

·
Registered
913 Posts
what is this about a tsb on the mustang transmission. I have an 08 bullit and have grinded while shifting to 3rd a couple of times. What is the tsb and where can i go to look it up?

thanks

·
Registered
419 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts