Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my Bullitt in to the service dept. this A.M. to get my new headlights installed. Of course I had to leave it for six hours for a thirty minute job but I expected that. What I didn't expect was to be told that they "fixed" the transmission problem I had told them about when I had the car there a couple of weeks ago so they could take pictures of the cloudy headlights. I figured while I was there and since I was moving out of state I wanted them to document the 1-2 shift grind and also the Death Rattle. Anyway, when I picked up the car this P.M. the service manager tells me that they changed the transmission fluid because there was a TSB regarding my complaint and they were told by Ford to replace the trans fluid with Motorcraft Mercon ATF. I was surprised and didn't mention that I had changed from the original fluid to Red Line D4 and then to GM Synchromesh with no change in performance. They were real happy with themselves and if I hadn't spent over $100.00 on different trans fluids I would have been happy too. It made no difference in the shifting, by the way... Cheers

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Adequate - I stopped by my local dealership and got that printout and spoke with the Service advisor. I was on my way to Valvoline to get the fluid changed on my own and wanted their "approval" just to be sure I was within warranty. How stupid I was - I should have let them do it for free - I just wasn't thinking. But then again, you said it didn't change anything. I did go on to Valvoline and got the fluid drained and filled with their synthetic blend. It took about a week before it started to smooth up a bit. Then the weather turned cold again and I have still had a really rough 1-2 grind when both the engine is cold and the outside temps are pretty chilly. I took a short road trip the other day and I must say that after the engine warmed up, I could finally tell the difference between the transmission notchiness and my new Tri-Ax. It was shifting like butter, finally. But, as long as it's cool, I still have the problem. I think the solution to changing tranny fluid would be to get the Transmission Service with flush at the dealership. This costs $129.95 though. Had it done to my '95 GT AOD for some problems and it finally helped. If we could talk them into doing this when they change to the new fluid in the TSB, it just might work. Other than getting an all-new TR-3650, that is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does anybody have a printout of this transmission fluid TSB? Or a TSB number? It doesn't show up in the alldata site so maybe it is just a Special Service Message. My dealer told me they couldn't find anything when I inquired about it.

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
This 1-2 shift problem will all disappear this summer.
The problem is that the cold ATF fluid is slow to get out of the way and allow the synchros to mesh together, match speed and allow a smooth shift. After it warms up everything works fine since the ATF fluid has thinned out and does not have to be pushed out of the way when changing gears.

I am leaving mine alone, using the Red Line D4 it is very liveable. I would rather shift slower the first 10 minutes of driving than let the local yocals rip my transmission out for nothing.

Also it is not just us, many other manufactures are experiencing the same thing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree that the problem will be a non-issue in the summer. If I was in an Arizona climate I could definitely just live with the grinding for a few minutes. Unfortunately I drive my car year-round up here in Canada and in the dead of winter the 1-2 grinding is unbearable. It takes well over an hour of driving to warm the fluid up to the point where it goes away.

I'm now on my second transmission. Immediately after the replacement the problem seemed to have been completely solved. However, after a few weeks of driving, the grinding has now returned and is probably worse than the first tranny ever was.

Anybody else on their second tranny and still having problems?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fOrd - I just checked my copy of the work invoice regarding the transmission fluid. It is not a TSB although that is what the service manager referred to it as. Verbatim, "per service message 15669 drained the transmission fluid and filled with MotorcraftMercon ATF. Checks OK now." Part Number-FMC XT 5 QTS Hope this helps! Tony

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Correct, adequate, here is Special Service Message 15669 in full:

"Mustang-TR3650 Cold Gear Clash - Change Fluid
Some 2001-2002 V-8 Mustang with a TR3650Manual Transmission built prior to March 15, 2002 may exhibit a clash/grinding sound during the first few miles of driving. To reduce this condition, completely drain the transmission fluid and fill full with 128 oz. (4 qts.) of Motorcraft Mercon ATF, using Ford part # XT-2-QDX. Note: At full fill, the fluid may not reach the bottom of the fill hole. Do not overfill. Note: The full benefit of the fluid may not be realized (for the concern of clash/grind) until the new oil has been driven for several hundred miles."

That's it, verbatim. It seems they used a different part number on yours than the SSM specified. Hmmm.

I just asked the service writer to check for any TSBs on this and this was included in the printout that he gave me.

Greg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullitt3618 on 2002-04-02 23:54 ]</font>

·
Registered
144 Posts
Taking some literary license here: "It ain't the fluid stupid". Been there, seen it, done it. The only thing that cured my 1 - 2 shifting grind was a new T3650 transmission. :-B

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks alot guys. At this point I'm willing to try anything. I tried GM synchromesh and it didnt seem to help at all so I doubt this Mercon fluid will be any better.

I find the date in that SSM quite interesting...March 15, 2002 must have been when they finally started using the improved 3650's on the line. My second transmission was put in before that date so its quite possible it has the exact same internals as the original. Now to try and convince the dealer of that and get a 3rd one installed...what a pain in the a**.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
The part about changing fluid may take several hundred miles to completely take effect may explain my tranny. I switched to GM syncromesh about a month ago. It was a big improvement but the tranny still was rough 1-2. But the last week I noticed the 1-2 crunch is completely gone and I drove the car this morning and it's in the 30's here in Michigan. The shift is a little stiff going 1-2 but there's no grind and it's gone completely shortly after the engine warms up. I've only put 300 miles on the car since I switched, it's still wintery here, but switching to GM syncromesh solved my 1-2 crunch and my tranny was pretty bad before I switched. It certainly is weird how some of the trannys have no problem, some work fine after switching fluid, and some don't work no matter what.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: barry bullitt on 2002-04-03 10:18 ]</font>

·
Registered
693 Posts
Thank for the bulletin
Mine is getting look at today, I will send them this note
Mine was doing the 1-2 grind from the beginning

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I was going to get my tranny opened up, but from reading what everybody has gone through I figure it's best just to leave it alone. I drive year round in Toronto and after about 10 minutes my 1-2 grind goes away and shifting is pretty smooth. Could this be due to the fact that my cars build date is May/01? Do I have a 2nd generation TR-3650 in my car? If the TSB states problems in the trannies built prior to March 01.

·
Registered
203 Posts
After reading about this problem here for several months and experiencing the cold 1-2 shift myself, I decided to change my tranny fluid to the GM syncromesh. Last night was the first time I drove the car since changing the fluid.I noticed an immediate difference as the shifts from 1-2 are much smoother and are smoother in all other gears as well. Once warm the car continued to shift much better than with the oem fluid.

I was lucky that I signed on here the day after I bought my Bullitt new. I read about the 1-2 shift problem and took it easy when shifting when cold so that I did not bend a shift fork. Installing a tri-ax with the shiftstops added extra security that I would not overtoggle the shifter thus bending a fork. I know I have not bent a fork since even with the oem tranny fluid I have smooth shifts once the car is warmed up (5-6 minutes).

I spoke to my boss regarding this issue and when I told him of the problem he mentioned that he had the problem in his 1990's model Taurus SHO. My boss put Redline transmission fluid in his car and his problem went away.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BLT5103 on 2002-04-03 13:03 ]</font>

·
Registered
204 Posts
I just got #3272 back from the dealer last night and is working GREAT after a trans replacement! They replaced the tranny...finally...and when I was looking at the service receipt I noticed that they used 8 quarts of GM fluid. Why so much, maybe because it was new? I can only guess that the fluid was synchromesh. However, my crunch/grind is gone and it shifts/works great now. They also replaced my headlight lenses with no questions asked. I'm very pleased with my dealers handling of the situation this time around. Perhaps Ford is starting to realize the crap they put in our cars the first go around.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Cold shift my A** I have 2 Bullitts and they both have it. 2551 developed it over time, just the other night (60 deg. out) and had been driving for a while (1/2 hour) and I went to speed shift a little from a light and "CRUNCH" it went. #5072 is in the shop right now for its SECOND rebuild, this one had it the whole time and only got worse. I have no problem shifting slowly when the car warms up, but it is not only while the car is cold. After it warms up it is not all the time but it pops up even when just normally shifting.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Mid Life: just got back on, the grinding was there from day one. At first thought it was just some breaking in needed on the car. Tranny was replaced at 2800 miles, only drive Bullitt on weekends. :-B

·
Registered
12 Posts
cmezip, my car is exactly the same way...the car warms up and is shifting great, then all of a sudden a CRUNCH comes out of nowhere and then is gone on the next shift. very random to say the least.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts