Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE Transmission issues?

Update in Post #4 4/12/2009

I know that in the past I’ve read about several people having issues shifting from second to third and thought I’d share this.

As many of you know – at just over 32,000 miles I am pushing close to the end of my warranty and have been working closely with my local dealership on a few annoying little items that need to be adjusted before they become big problems.

So I’m talking with the service manager and he’s doing some searching for any commonly reported issues or tech bulletins – when he asks if I’ve had any shifting issues.

I explained that sometimes I miss or have rough shifting from second to third.

That’s when he explains that there is a known issue (note “NOT” a recall so no nasty emails) with customers reporting problems with up-shifts between First & Second and Second & Third.

I then asked if we couldn’t have it checked out and he set-up an appointment and I dropped off my Bullitt this afternoon.

I don’t want to worry anybody unnecessarily – but as I am probably the only ‘08/09 Bullitt owner with as many miles on the clock as I’ve got, so I will follow up with more information as I get it in the hopes this will prove beneficial to the forum.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Not saying that this is a fix for all. But ever since I changed my shifter I have not had any of the issues I had shifting with the stock shifter. Once I have the shifter on for more miles I will give another report.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update.

The dealership called to tell me that the tech found a few syncros that needed replacing as well as a couple other components (I’ll have a full list later) that needed to be replaced.

They also told me that they’re replacing the clutch too. I wondered about this when they told me they where dropping the transmission to investigate the stickiness/hesitation observed between 2nd & 3rd – and worried that they might try to ding me for the cost of a replacement.

Well when I asked if I was going to pick up the tab for this new clutch the service manager laughed and said “no we only charge for antennas” – referring to my dealings with them over the snapped off antenna. I was happy that they covered the clutch but had to laugh.

Anyway I should have the Bullitt back tomorrow.

More to follow.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Bret08 said:
Update.

The dealership called to tell me that the tech found a few syncros that needed replacing as well as a couple other components (I’ll have a full list later) that needed to be replaced.

They also told me that they’re replacing the clutch too. I wondered about this when they told me they where dropping the transmission to investigate the stickiness/hesitation observed between 2nd & 3rd – and worried that they might try to ding me for the cost of a replacement.

Well when I asked if I was going to pick up the tab for this new clutch the service manager laughed and said “no we only charge for antennas” – referring to my dealings with them over the snapped off antenna. I was happy that they covered the clutch but had to laugh.

Anyway I should have the Bullitt back tomorrow.

More to follow.
:lol: I was already thinking about the "we only charge for antenna's" before I got to paragraph 3. hahaha! Good to hear they are taking care of you.

I have had no problems with shifting. But since the 01 guys... and now you at just 30k... are having problems, it makes me nervous. I'm only at 6300 and about to put insurance on it for the summer. So I'll be paying close attention.

Thanx for the update.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Brett, Sweet glad it worked out.New clutch good stuff.Do you have the stock shifter?

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
first ford said:
Brett, Sweet glad it worked out.New clutch good stuff.Do you have the stock shifter?
Yup totally stock.

Truth is I didn’t think this was a major issue as it felt pretty much the same from day one. But when I asked if there where any reports of shifting issues from 2nd to 3rd he did a quick search and confirmed that there was a number of reported problems. So many in fact that a fix for it was listed.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Bret,

Sounds like you have a pretty good dealer.

See I had taken my car into a few dealers, one said they would do it but not install my FRPP/Hurst Short throw. When I took to another they said that they didn't detect the problem but would put in my shifter and not void my warranty.

The saga continues...

Since putting in the Hurst Shifter I've had less problems with shifting, but we did have cold morning, last week where I felt the "lock-out" from 1st to 2nd.

We're all watching to see what happens.

Chris
Baltimore

·
Registered
628 Posts
Good to know, Today was my 3rd or 4th shift into 3rd with a terrible grind. I now have 1100 miles and it only does it if the car has been sitting for at least a day and only happens the first time I shift in to 3rd, today was the first time I tried 1st to 3rd, all previous times were from 2nd to 3rd and it still had the grind, I've never had it happen in any other shifting configurations. I may have to go to the dealer and first ask if there is a TSB for the shift problem then go from there. That always seems to be a good gauge as to what kind of a dealer they are going to be.

I should also mention this happens at very low speeds under very low acceleration, since the engine is always cold when this happens I am usually only running it to just under 2K rpm then up shifting. Going from 1st to third I had to get a little over 2K so it wouldn't lug bad in 3rd at the low speed, 3rd to 5th afterwards was just fine as always.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I was hoping to have some good news this morning. However when I went to pick up my Bullitt I hadn't even been behind the wheel for a couple of moments when I noticed that the Clutch peddle went almost completely to the floor! Total play was maybe a an inch of peddle travel and the clutch wouldn’t fully release until it was on the floor!

WTF! Don’t these people check their work before they release it to the customer. Grrrr! :evil:

Hopefully it’s just a minor adjustment or a simple matter of bleeding the clutch lines. But one can’t help but wonder about their other work if something like this slips through the cracks.

Anyway I gave the keys back to the service manager and told them to fix it. Problem is they won’t be able to do anything until Monday.

Ya know I understand that things happen but something as simple as this should never happen.

Guess my update will be a little later than I’d hoped.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Bret08 said:
Ok I was hoping to have some good news this morning. However when I went to pick up my Bullitt I hadn't even been behind the wheel for a couple of moments when I noticed that the Clutch peddle went almost completely to the floor! Total play was maybe a an inch of peddle travel and the clutch wouldn’t fully release until it was on the floor!

WTF! Don’t these people check their work before they release it to the customer. Grrrr! :evil:

Hopefully it’s just a minor adjustment or a simple matter of bleeding the clutch lines. But one can’t help but wonder about their other work if something like this slips through the cracks.

Anyway I gave the keys back to the service manager and told them to fix it. Problem is they won’t be able to do anything until Monday.

Ya know I understand that things happen but something as simple as this should never happen.

I feel your pain Bret,

Can't people just do their job????

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've always noticed the shifting in mine was a lot harder from 1st to 2nd in addition to 2nd to 3rd when it was cold outside (<25 F). When its warmer than that or after the car itself warms up I have had no issues. All I do when I'm in these conditions, (cold weather + cold car) is take it easy on the shifting for the first couple of miles and haven't had any grinding issues.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Bret08 said:

Sorry to hear this. It's funny but, as much as I worry about doing something that may void my warranty, it gives me a chest pain to bring a car in for warranty work. Maybe it's just me. It seems that almost every time I've brought a vehicle in for warranty work they A - found no problem, B - told me they fixed the problem but didn't or C - fixed the problem and caused another. This is not limited to Ford I might add. I hope your clutch issue is an easy fix. Good Luck.:smile:

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Brett, that really is a shame . I assume you did not even get a chance to run through the gears. I hope they are giving you a loaner.At least a couple of "annie oakleys" for an oil change.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Thanks for the "Recon" work, Marine! :wink:

Keep us posted, Bret.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Good to hear that they are fixing everything up for you.

Just so you know, Ford has issued TSB 08-9-6 for the repair of the Synchro issue (under warranty).

See the discussion regarding this here: http://www.imboc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159494

Although, I am posting this more for more recent members who may not yet have seen this. :)

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Lightning said:
Just so you know, Ford has issued TSB 08-9-6 for the repair of the Synchro issue (under warranty).

Although, I am posting this more for more recent members who may not yet have seen this. :)
There was also an early TSB about not filling the tranny all the way to the top as over filling was causing shifting problems.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I am really starting to get grinds going into second now. It seems as thought he clutch is slow to respond or the throwout assembly is not keeping up with the pedal or its is sticking, IDK. I even have started to notice that when I stop at a light and put in neutral when I press clutch and attempt to put in first at a stand still I can feel the gears and syncros lining up through the handle, you can feel them rolling over each other. I have gotten very deliberate in having the clutch hit the carpet before i touch the shifter but still get a second gear grind 60% of the time. The dealer claims it is all good and there is nothing wrong. I will continue to complain and get it documented but i really don not think I will make another 5000 miles before I have trashed out the transmission. I currently have 9000 miles since January 20, 2009. The third gear issue seems to be a shifter issue not a transmission issue, once I started being very deliberate in clutch to shifter synchronization and really paying attention to it, the third gear stuff went away. But this first to second is getting really bad, I have a 100,000 mile warranty so I guess I will just keep on a grinding, I hear they will be made of rubber next year anyway so it wont be an issue :eek::eek::eek: anymore.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts