Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, my dad is a service ticket writer for the Ford house that i bought my bullitt from, on of the other bullitts that the dealership sold is came into the shop the other day with the transmission noise problem, after they replaced about 5 differ parts in the car they finally called there tech rep at Ford. The Ford Tech told them they know of the problem and it is a problem which they are working on. they said that they have had other dealerships replace all kinds of parts and they havent fixed them yet. as soon as i hear something else about this i will post it.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Is that the clunking noise when shifting or the whine when the clutch is depressed?
(WAAAAAAAAAAA! I'm sooooo depressed. Had to say it. I knew someone else would.)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes its the clunking noise, kinda sounds like something is loose down there.

·
Registered
193 Posts
That clunking noise has been bugging the crap out of me for about a month now. It sounds like something is loose and when you allelerate or shift and put torque through the driveline something is loose and clunking when it tightens up. The cat sounds like absolute crap when idling along slowly in first or second gear - like in a parking lot. I am taking mine in this weekend just to make sure nothing is loose.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CatSmasher on 2001-07-19 20:29 ]</font>

·
Registered
193 Posts
Finally broke down and took the Bullitt into the shop with this issue. Told the guys that the tranny or driveline did a lot of klunking and it sounded like something was loose. They called back and said that nothing was wrong. If that is true, then this Bullitt has the crappiest sounding driveline that I have ever owned! I have had numerous manuals in my day and this one sounds the worst. I think that people actually look at me when I idle through a parking lot and the lash and klunk are audible as I go up and down on the gas.

Any news on this issue? Is my dealer right or just playing dumb? I am thinking about taking it to another dealer.

Have any of you cats noticed anything along these lines?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been on hold to take my car in for months now because of all the flooded out cars here in Houston. I finally took it in last week...and sure enough there is a service alert from ford on the transmission AND the clutch (I was getting strange noises from both). The alert says for the mechanics to do NO work on the tranny, but order a replacement due to known problems. My new tranny and clutch are on the way...finally!

On a side note...while I was waiting to get my car back today, until the parts come in, I looked on the lot and they had three more Bullitts still on the lot. Beside the regular sticker, there was an extra sticker that said "Market Adjustment- +$2,000" !!!! for a grande total of $29,380 for a new Bullitt!!! Awesome!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Did you have the service department check your transmission mounting bolts? That is also a known problem as well.

I was experiencing lots of clunking when shifting and accelerating, it turned out that my transmission mounts bolts VERY LOOSE - this turned out to be the problem with my Bullitt #621.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Bullitt163 do u know the number on the service alert that Ford has issued for the tremec transmission! Thanx Havgun #1676

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Havgunwiltrav on 2001-08-09 10:55 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
smasher, check out our forum topic from about a month ago. i had a BIG thunk/clunk upon applying torque OR letting off of the accelerator. and it kept getting worse as i drove
i found that 2 of the bolts on my transmission brace were hand tightened only and several other people found that they had the same problem. there was a TSB issued by Ford on the problem.
take it back and make them check EVERY single freakin' bolt on every single brace, strut, sway bar, etc!!!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thanks Cats!
I just picked my car up and the service guy played dumb (or else he is dumb) and gave me my service receipt that state PNF (problem not found). I asked if he checked the ujoints and tranny mounting bolts and he said that he did. I am taking my car (and my service business) to another dealer next week.
Can anyone get a copy of the bullittens (TSB 14879 or the one about the mounting bolts?)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Has anyone written to Art Hyde about this problem? If somebody can give me his e-mail address I will and then post the reply.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't have a problem (yet) with my tranny but there's definately some strange noises from the clutch. Should we all just bring our Bullitts in for a new tranny and clutch like #163?

·
Registered
43 Posts
My Dad had to take his Bullitt in yesterday.His car wouldn't shift into 2nd gear. It would just grind like heck and refuse to go into gear.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quick update. They fixed my suspension popping noise. They don't know what it was, but they retorqued every mount and every piece of the suspension and it went away. Still waiting on my clutch and tranny.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I just got back from taking my wife on a Sunday joy ride in the Bullitt. The clunking is getting worse when shifting from 4th to 5th. My wife even made a comment about it. Taking my foot off the gas pedal between 40 and 50 MPH in 5th produces a couple of good clunks. It's time to take it in to the dealer and let the battle begin. I hate bringing my car to any of the local Ford dealers. One question...should I pull out the Steeda Tri-ax for fear they will say I caused the problem before I bring it in? Like Cat Smasher I am sure I am going to get one of these "Problem Not Found" from the dealer like I am making it up. If my wife takes notice of it I would hope a tech would also.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Since it is such an easy swap, maybe 45 minutes of work, I would highly recommend that you go back to the stock shifter. For such a quick change-out, it would be horrible for them to deny you and void your warranty all together.

Good Luck!

Joe Schwartz
DHG #00238

·
Registered
193 Posts
I went under the car and checked the tranny bolts - all were tight.
If I get cruising in second or third gear and push in the clutch then let it out while giving some gas, it will klunk every time. I am taking the Bullitt to another dealer next week. This guy has some Cobras on the lot and if all else fails, we can ride in a Cobra and see if it does the same thing.

The CatSmasher

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hey all!

My best friend as a kid is the shop supervisor at the dealer where I bought my Bullitt. I took mine in for the same "Klunk" in the trans and he told me it is because the Bullitt has the upgrade tranny that none of the other 'stangs have. Damm I wish I could remember the trans name but I really believe him. He tells me it is because our trans has straighter (tooth) stronger gears than the other 'stangs and hense the "Klunk". To prove it we took out a regular GT and a Cobra as well as a brand new Bullitt and the only one that did it was the Bullitt. I had him check and re-torque the trans mounts and all were to spec. I can honestly say that depending on how I shift that I do not hear the "Klunk". The more I drive it the more in tune I am with it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts