Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a few threads re: the trans on a Billitt and the recurring problems. What was the end result when Tremec was contacted and the solution other than a conversion. I'm actively seeking to buy a Bullitt and wanted to know what to look/ask for as to the trans, whether there was a problem and if so what was done to correct it.
Any help would be appreciated, I'm trying to cover all the bases.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
There is no real solution, Ford rebuilt them under warentee. Your best bet is to either buy a new 3650 thats is beefed up. or do a cobra 6speed conversion when your trans goes. while driving a bullitt, or any car with a 3650 I would think, when shifting fast into 2nd gear you will feel alittle grinding. Some transmission even do it going from 2-3. I have 7k miles on my car and I get the 1-2 grind when cold and shifting fast. I'm not worried, I'll fix it when and if it breaks.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Some have had trouble and some have not. Some have changes trans. fluid and reduced the amount of fluid in the trans. and have had better results. Some have had the trans. rebuilt per warranty. There is some info in the Bullitt Archives.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
On a chilly day,mine will be notchy going to 2nd gear,but when up to temp all is well.
Also,even with the new "Bullet proof" HD Tremec 6 spd box,for the GT-500,there have been some trans failures reported,like cracked cases and such. Couple that with a big backlog on new replacement parts,even the good stuff is having quality problems.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Mine works great after a fresh refill with GM Synchromesh. It lasts a good 10k miles, then needs to be changed again. I've learned to live with it and just hammer through second with my Tri-Ax.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I guess I've been lucky **knock on wood**
No real tranny problems EVER. I changed the shifter and notice 1-2 is maybe a little stiff or notchy on cold days, but I have driven a 68 bronco before and compared to how the old trannys were, this is nothing...

Still running original fluid, too... so I think the tranny problem was a hit-and-miss from the factory, if you got a good one then no problem, if you got a bad one you probably already know and have had it fixed. I wouldn't let the tranny issue scare me away from buying a bullitt. Best all-around "bang for you buck" sports car EVER produced in Detroit...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts