Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my attempt to document the Tri-Ax installation.

If anyone has an electronic copy of the Steeda instructions, could I get a copy, mine did not come with any instructions and I did not find them on their web site.

Mid Life Crisis #388

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mid Life Crisis #388 on 2004-11-15 10:22 ]</font>

·
Registered
451 Posts
I enjoyed the small humorous neigbor comments throughout the instructions as well. :smile:

Joe

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just realized that I had not checked the web page with Netscape. If you were using Netscape to view the page then probably the pics were not showing up. SORRY about that. I have sinced fixed it. If they are not showing up please email me and let me know. Here is the link.
Mid Life Crisis #388

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mid Life Crisis #388 on 2004-11-15 10:22 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
somewhere back in the past i posted (actually Bob posted them for me) step by step digital pics on this site of removing my stock shifter and installing the Tri-Ax.
i know they were VERY helpful to several members.
if someone wants to go back about 2 months they're pretty thorough and upclose pics!!
(just can't remember who made the comment asking if i ever got out in the sun -LOL)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well I finally installed my Tri-Ax shifter this afternoon. I installled the shifter handle in the lower position. All I can say is holy sh*te!!!!!!!

I am not only able to chip second an third but I can totally break the wheels loose going from 1st to 2nd.

I love this shifter and everyone should try the lower mounting of the shifter handle before making a final decision.

Steve

·
Registered
235 Posts
OK, i just installed my triax, only two problems.
#1 the shifter knob (what a pain in the ass to remove)
#2 You'll need a tube of "silicone gasket maker" (a freind of mine had some, *phew*)

I do agree, this is an awesome upgrade. the shorter throw makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I installed my Tri-Ax night before last. No problems at all. My shifter ball was on only hand-tight. I also installed a "real" aluminum shift ring. Big difference from the plastic piece which had the marks from where it was broken off the mold. I got it bolted down to the plastic trim piece real securely. The Tri-Ax "seems" to make the entire car seem "tighter". I think the suspension and steering always were "tight" but replacing the sloppy stock shifter makes the whole car seem "race car like" in feel. The short positive throw feel so much better. I do not really notice any additional noise. I actually was hoping for some nice gear whine. I installed the small rubber boot that covered the stock shifter to keep dirt and water out of the shift mechanism. This may be adding additional noise dampening. All in all a very worthwhile purchase!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
BLKBLIT,

Where did you get the REAL ring. Just posted this question on another thread.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I got mine from Paper Flames Racing which gets it from Speed Worx. However, I saw on another thread that HaneyMotorSports.com will sell the same thing to BullittClub members for $95. I paid about $132 unfortunately. It looks great but you do need to drill holes for the allen scrwes. So consider whether you are willing to drill before buying. I figured if I ever wanted to return to "pure" stock I would just order a new shifter console piece.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
glad you mentioned that about the silicone sealer gasket
a.) make sure you scrape off ALL of the old gasket and make sure to remove all the little pieces out of the top of the tranny before you put the new gasket material on!
b.)stop and get a tube of silicone gaksket sealer before you start!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got tired of the noise so I insulated the shifter handle with some rubber on both sides. WHAT a difference, must have taken out almost 99% of the noise. Updated my instructions and pics on the home page. Here is what it looks like after.
My thanks to Roushraven for putting me on the right track with this one.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Has anyone cut down the shifter boot to eliminate all the extra material due to a shorter shifter? Just wondering how the boot was secured to the bottom of the plastic console and if you could pull it loose, cut some off, and reglue/staple? it back onto the console. Just a thought.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Thanks for the great install instructions. I just finished installing the Tri-ax tonight and I love it! I do notice the increased noise but so far I don't mind it. If I get tired of it then I will follow your advice and install the rubber pieces. Again, thanks for the install pictures!!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I got #3272 back from the dealer a few days ago after being stuck on the hoist for three weeks and had them install my Tri-Ax for me. Well they left out all kinds of stuff, like the small boot that goes over the shifter and didn't set the stop bolts. After taking everything apart, again, and setting things right, my shifter works great now and the noise is not bad at all. In fact, I had to go back to #388's site and check out his instructions again for setting the stop bolts. Thanks to everyone that's posted their instructions on the site, it really made things much easier and safer. I like the tranny wine that comes through now and my girlfriend loves it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts