Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to install my triax and I ahve a quick question on the very first step (That can't be a good sign). When you remove the plastic aroundt he shifter, are you removing the chrome ring, or the whole thing, including the cigarette lighter area. Do you just pull? I know the instruction say to just pull, but I am nervous about using a lot of force. If you do just take off the chrome piece, are those little black things allen wrench-type screws? What size.

Thanks, and hopefully I can get through the rest of the steps more easily. But hey, I'm an electrical engineer, not mechanical...

-Bill

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
No problem. The complete piece lifts up. Just grab at the inside of the boot ring and pull the sides inward a little,while pulling up. Then when loose,disconnect the power connector. I was cautious the first time also! The screw heads are plastic fakes,DO NOT LOOSEN!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mus408 on 2002-01-12 16:15 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mus408 on 2002-01-12 16:16 ]</font>

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot,
after that, the whole thing went smoothly. The old shifter was a bit of a pain in the butt to get off the tranny, but eventually it came off. I works great, I am really impressed. My only other problem is getting the shifter knob seated right-side up! Takes a whole lot of torquing down, or I hve to leave it pretty loose.

Thanks again for the help,

Bill

·
Registered
309 Posts
I installed mine over the weekend and still can't believe the difference it makes. I had forgotten how nice a performance shifter feels. Last year, I had the chance to drive one of my father-in-law's customer's car. It's a '95 GT with EVERYTHING done to it. Ported GT-40 heads/intake, E303 cam, Vortech V-trim, BBK LT's, o/r h-pipe, Flowmasters, 3.73's, King Cobra clutch, '93 computer, and a Pro 5.0 Power Tower shifter. I remember now how tight that shifter felt. I LOVE my Tri-Ax and I think it has a little better handle position than the Pro 5.0 has.

Edit: BTW, the GT was capable of running 11's, but with drag radials, the best the owner could manage was a 13.6 with wheelspin through 3rd gear. :grin:

DHG #4851
Steeda Tri-Ax

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: retromuscle on 2002-01-14 09:28 ]</font>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts