·
Car Whisperer
20,777 Posts
Nice!!!!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hood is a Ford OEM '03 Cobra hood. The only thing is there is normally a unsightly gap between the bumper cover "horns" and the hood. Were you to compare a Cobra hood and a Bullitt (or GT) hood, you will see that the Cobra hood has a smooth curve on the leading edge whereas the GT hood has two noticeable angles about midway between the center and each side. The GT hood is actually longer in the middle than a Cobra hood, and it "wraps" over and downward a little compared to Cobra. The "horns" on a Cobra bumper cover stick up further than a GT bumper cover to close the gap under the hood to compensate for the shorter (and "higher") hood.

In my case, a body man shaped and glued some dense styrofoam to the top of the Bullitt bumper cover horns, then filled any gaps with body filler and shaped that, then painted the entire bumper cover. He did a beautiful job.

The first pic is the original GT bumper cover. The yellow one is a Cobra. The third pic is the Bullitt bumper cover post mod (sort of a crappy shot).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,430 Posts
That makes it soooo much more the Bullitt than any of the "stainless" accents that our cars have on them. Everytime I see this 03 Cobra hood thing I want to do mine that way. I asked about yours because someone, and I forget who or where stated they got a non-OEM hood for about 1/2$ as a OEM part.
The body man did right by you on the horn modifications, too! Your car has the RIGHT LOOK! And thanks for the photos!

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
BIG WOW! Love it! Still understated but totally kick-a$$!

You must see a lot of gaping jaws in your rear view mirror

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
So was the original Color black??? stupid question i know, but the first photo where you are showing the Hood clearance the bullitt is black and then the bullitt is Green, was it originaly Black or did you just use another BULLITT or GT photo for showing the difference? just wondering, and that thing is a beast. Is it a stock motor swap or is there some modds to it.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Can't answer for habu, but when i picked up an '03 cobra hood it came factory primed matte black from Ford. I tackled the gap issue a little differently. I thickened the leading edge of the hood all the way across the front. Fits beautifully.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Mr.BULLITT said:
So was the original Color black??? stupid question i know, but the first photo where you are showing the Hood clearance the bullitt is black and then the bullitt is Green, was it originaly Black or did you just use another BULLITT or GT photo for showing the difference? just wondering, and that thing is a beast. Is it a stock motor swap or is there some modds to it.
Sharp eye Aaron. The car was in the shop about 15 miles from my house and I had been talking to a fabricator about machining some "hats" to glue on top of the bumper cover "horns". Since I didn't want to drive over there just to take a picture, I stopped at a local Ford dealer with a black GT on the used car lot and took the pictures. Boy, talk about trusting, when I asked the receptionist about opening the hood to take the pics, she just handed me the keys and told me she was going across the street to the main dealership. I coulda driven off in that car and it probably wouldn't have been noticed for some time.

Engine stock except for 6# lower pulley, CAI, Bassani midlengths, and SCT tune. Plus I used LFP radiator, intercooler, and coolant tank, snd added an LDC Chicago Cooling Mod Kit to tie water passages together at back end of heads.

And to Charlie, aka PL, I kept trying to figure out how to fill those gaps and didn't think about lining the hood. I looked at several forums and don't remember seeing any "fixes" that were spelled out for the problem. In fact, your fix might be better because of a small gap between the hood and the grill delete top plastic. It's only noticeable mainly when you view head on, and you pretty much have to focus in on it.

Live and learn, right?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sweet ride, just plain sick! Looks like you don't like any exhaust on it eh? must be a nice wake-up call for the neighbours. Nice work though, you have the whole package it seems, even the watts link-that's cool, is that an EVM part? Also looks to have torque box re-inforcements and an adjustable rear sway bar. Again, sick car.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Ponyryd said:
Sweet ride, just plain sick! Looks like you don't like any exhaust on it eh? must be a nice wake-up call for the neighbours. Nice work though, you have the whole package it seems, even the watts link-that's cool, is that an EVM part? Also looks to have torque box re-inforcements and an adjustable rear sway bar. Again, sick car.
Well, my neighors are old and pert-near deaf. That shot w/o exhaust was an in-progress shot. I did drive it to the emissions station with cats only installed so I could get a current license plate. Getting the miles on it to reset the ECM included some of the slowest acceleration runs I've ever made in my life.

Yeah, the watts is EVM. Also includes EVM tri-link up top and LCA's. Here's a couple more shots.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
punk lancelot said:
Can't answer for habu, but when i picked up an '03 cobra hood it came factory primed matte black from Ford. I tackled the gap issue a little differently. I thickened the leading edge of the hood all the way across the front. Fits beautifully.

Do you have any pics of your car the way you did it? Very curious to see.

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts