Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else notice after you run the car and it gets warm and then let it sit for between 30-60 minutes it doesn't want to start. It acts like it doesn't want to fire. It will turn, but not fire.
Cam

·
Registered
57 Posts
mine just acts up sometimes. downs feel like it wants to start so i have to press on the gas a lil bit for it to start. mine is never the same though, some times its after its been sitting all night, some times after driveing it during the day.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Here too! Almost sounds like its a little rich. It sort of gurgles before it fires. I'm sort of thinking this is what they were talking about with the upgrades in the EEC unit. Still trying to get info on the different codes for our EECs.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Mine acts a little wierd as well.. Once it's going and I go to start it after letting it sit briefly, gassig up, food, store, etc. I'll crank it and let the key go.. instead of staying running like most cars do it'll seem like it's going to die.. pause for a moment or two then it'll get running. It's kinda odd but I'ev decided that it's one if it's little quirks.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,047 Posts
No problems here with starting with #344. We have 5,000 miles on her now and no pinging, no fast idling; just a mean, lean, running machine. All my quirks are on the outside! :mad: (except for the power steering unit leak).

Vicki

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
Cam & Blak, i'm having the same problem when engine is warm. instead of just turning the key and having it "fire up" immediately, it continues to crank like it does NOT want to "catch". it's actually NOT fired up until the 2nd crank sometimes
makes me feel like i was getting little spark or the plugs were fouled or something

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have the same problem,but it seems to be not happening as much as it used to.I'm thinking that the more miles I put on it the less it happens.it used to do it almost every time now it is only once in a while.I have almost 5000 miles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
this happens to me also. I will turn the key and it will make the chugging noice, but it will not start. But then the second time I try it will work. I dont think it is because of the type of gas you put in. I think maybe it could be becuase of the new intake. This never happened to me in my old mustang with the plastic intake.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Just a thought, is this slow to start condition happening after putting the key to run and allowing the fuel pump pressure to build up before turning the key to start?

My 95 thunderbird would do this but if I waited for the fuel pump pressure I never had the problem.

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Othern than the occasions when it acts up, it always fires right up without waiting for the pump or anything. I run the 87 octane in it as they advise. Due for an oil change so I'll bring it up when I go in to the dealer.
Cam

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
i don't think so Mid-Life cuz it fires right up when engine is "cold"
thanks for the thought though!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
as many of yall stated, i am also using the 87 Grade gas. and i am not letting the car sit "on" and then starting it. i get in and turn the key, if it hesitates any at all i give it a tap of the gas and it starts up fine.
I am going to start filling up with only 89 as of today and see if it still does it. I also have the pinging when i get up on it hard, starts at about 5K RPM, i dont remember it doing this when the car was new, the 1st time i noticed it was when i was taken a guy that has a 1000HP corvett for a ride (BTW: he liked the bullitt alot, this was the first time this guy had ever asked any one for a ride in a Ford).
i have over 6500miles and have computer code 1.

·
Registered
32 Posts
There are 2-3 TSB on this under Mustang- it doesn't specify (or I can't tell) the model so its difficult to specify these to the bullitts.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have noticed that it takes longer to catch when warm. The first times it happened I had to try again.

I have likened it to a vapor lock type of symptom. The earlier comment about letting the fuel pump come up to pressure makes sense in this respect. I will have to try that.

It would not surprise me if the Bullitt behaves a bit differently in this regard than a more mundane GT. That really cool intake in one large hunk of aluminum. It is going to store a whole lot more therms than the plastic manifold it replaced.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I would be more suspect of the non-return fuel rail being the culprit. If there is some vapor in the fuel rail, it can't be flushed out by recirculating the fuel.

Brian

·
Registered
93 Posts
The problem with hard start after sitting is that sometime the fuel will bleed of the fuel line and it take longer to start the car. This problem sometimes caused by leaking check valve inside the fuel pump, so if problem continues have the fuel pump replaced by the dearler.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
no, read the comments closer, most of us are VERY familar with Mustangs and GT's. this is not like anything we have encountered on our other cars(not my 97 or 99 GT's)AND we are ALL having the same problem. engine does NOT want to catch/fire on the 1st crank after a short period of being turned off. will start just fine on the 2nd crank

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have the same behavior.

Doesn't fire right away, stumbles and then it seems to come up to a normal idle.

I know on fuel injected aircraft they get a phenomenon called "vapor lock" and it makes it very difficult to start. I wonder if we are experiencing something similar.

Eric

1 - 20 of 49 Posts