Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW! That was a heck of a toss-up for me between the Cobra and the Bullitt. Both cars offered up their own unique pros and cons. But in the end, it was with the great help of everyone's insight and opinions on this fantastic site that made my choice that much clearer.

And the winner is...TRUE BLUE BULLITT #01896

I just got back from the dealer a little while ago, and I can't wait until I take delivery on Monday night! What a gorgeous looking car. With all due respect to everyone's choice, TrueBlue has got to be the prettiest of the 3 sisters! Simply beautiful in every way (except for the lack of fog lights, the antique 3-foot antenna, the non-functional hood scoop,... oh well, no sense in being so critical when there's so much else to praise in this car :smile:

Ultimately, it all came down to price in the end. Ford was offering 0% on the GT Bullitt, while they stubbornly are sticking to 4.9% financing on all SVT product. That's a substantial savings---ontop of the Bullitt's already lower price tag vs. Cobra's.

Had I not already owned the '99 Cobra convertible before, I would have probably gone with the '01 Cobra this time around. Nevertheless, I am a very happy camper with my Bullitt decision! Trust me, the Bullitt is very close to the Cobra in so many ways that there is no real "loser" in any choice made between the two. Yes, the DOHC engine is fabulous when running in it's sweet-spot above 4,000 rpm, but it was so hard to keep it there in everyday driving. The Bullitt's lower end torque much better fits my driving style.

And that stock exhaust sound...very sweet indeed!

I'll try to post a photo or two of TrueBlue 1896 on Tuesday night. Until then, I can hardly wait...

This will be my 4th Mustang in the past 5 years---and it STILL gives my a rush every time! It never gets 'old' to me.

Thanks again all!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Great choice. I also picked my Bullitt over a Cobra as well as 2000 Saleen. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Ditto on the choice over the Cobra. I all but picked up the Cobra, but when it came right down to it I "had" to choose the Bullitt. I am still real happy for my decision.

·
Registered
66 Posts
From where did you purchase your True Blue Bullitt? Did the dealership have any others left in any of the available colors?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the warm welcomes!

I'm pretty excited this time around. I look forward to hearing more tidbits of information, advice and experiences from everyone on this board. Everyone here seems way more 'down to earth' than the other message boards I've been part of. Don't get me wrong, I loved all of my other Mustangs, but the Cobra guys always had a little too much Camaro and Vette bashing for my liking (don't even get me started on the 'rice-rocket' stuff). It's good to be part of a group than can appreciate others' choices...and get on with the REAL part of just loving their Mustangs.

Anyway, I bought my Bullitt at SUMMIT FORD in Toronto (also where I bought my Cobra vert in '99). Good people. But the car--- the ONLY TrueBlue left in Canada according to their dealer computer network!--- was at a dealer in St.Catherines (not sure of the name, though), about 80 miles away. I would have had the car earlier this week, but my salesman had to personally drive out there and pickup my car. The only crappy thing about that is that my soon-to-be-in-my-hands Bullitt now has about 200 km (approx. 120 miles) on it BEFORE I even get the keys on Monday. Oh well...they can't ALL be virgins.

As far as DHG and Black go, there are 2 DHG and 1 Black still brand spanking new on yet ANOTHER dealer's lot in suburban Toronto (DIXIE FORD in Mississauga). Like I said in an earlier post this week, any of you American Bullittheads can absolutely STEAL one of these babies if you can come up here and make the deal with your ever-powerful 1.6X U.S. dollar!!

·
Registered
509 Posts
You are a smart person.......there will be more Cobra's but, you know the rest!

WELCOME!!!

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Welcome to the world of BULLITT!!! The Bullitt just has the look the Cobra always wanted......the Cobra has the power at the top of 3rd gear,the Bullitt wouldn't mind having!......In the end I choose the Bullitt!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Congrats on the baby Bullitt!!!
As for the antenna, I got a much shorter one at http://www.haneymotorsport.com (I got style #5)...it looks good on the Black Bullitt and would look SUPER on your true blue. Let the mods begin!!!
As for what to look for...
Run it cold around the block with the dealer and see if it knocks at 3-4k rpm. Also check around the front bumper, rear quarter panels and bumper, and C pillars for any scuffs and damage from shipping. Demand the window sticker from the dealer (I forgot to do this).
Finally crawl under the rear and look up between the foam of the bumper and the trunk and you'll see the build sheet taped there. I'd try to take it off ASAP because when I got my car home it was BARELY hangin on with a corner of tape and it would have been lost forever.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dennis, thanks for the antenna advice. I've wanted to take a pair of snips to my other 3 Mustangs' in the past, but just didn't have the heart to go through with it. I'll be ordering one from that site this week!

The 'ping' or 'knock' sound I've been hearing a lot of you owners talk about has got to be the most dreaded thing I now fear. I've NEVER had even remotely any problems when I had my '97 GT or my '99 GT...and they both had the SOHC as well. It HAS to be a Bullitt-specific problem (unless current '01 GT owners are also experiencing the same problems).

I will definitely have the dealer take a ride with me before I take it home tomorrow!

I also definitely want the window sticker AND build sheet from under the rear bumber area.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
596 Posts
You will not be sorry for choosing the Bullitt. The car has a way of getting under your skin. In fact I'm going to go for a ride now....... Later.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Congrats! You will be so happy with your True Blue Bullitt. You won't look at a Cobra again for a while.

One nice thing about the Bullitts is that the dark grey torque thrust wheels are much too dark for most of the lighter GT's. They look dirty or off-hue on many of the bright shades. But the Bullitts, in any of the three colors, really show off the retro-5-spoke look. Those wheels were MADE for Bullitts, for sure.

When you go over your new baby, realize that you won't get another shot at a new True Blue. However, don't let that taint your inspection. If the car is wrong, don't take it. Especially when it comes to paint, be sure that no repaints have occurred and the finish is acceptable. Perfectionism, by the way, is not consistent with Bullitt bliss. You will find problems. Take a friend for an unbiased opinion. Mechanicals can be repaired. Original body work can't be.

You will have so much fun with your new Bullitt. We all share your impending joy!

Stay in touch and LET'S SEE PHOTOS!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey, thanks again all.

WOW! It sounds like I should bring a magnifying glass with me tomorrow to check out the paint thoroughly. My other 3 were ALL black, and as a result, pretty hard to 'hide' imperfections on. But these newer Ford metallic paints have a lot of fleck in them, and I do notice that I have to actually 'look' harder at finding flaws that are more easily disguised by the reflective properties. I'll do my best, and if I don't like what I see, I have no problem with waiting another day to see it better in the (hopefully) bright sun on Tuesday.

4075, that HAS to be the best photo I've seen yet of a True Blue Bullitt! Very nice indeed. And I thought black was a royal pain in the a** to keep clean. I, unfortunately, am a wee bit anal when it comes to keeping it sparkling...no rest for me this time either I suppose.

I hope to post photos very soon! It would be great if there are others out there in the Toronto area to take a group shot as well. It is late in the season up here, I realize, but I have yet to see more than 1 Bullitt EVER on the roads here.

Until then...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Karl, I think I must have visited your albums at least a dozen different times this past week! Great work. You're a FANatic for sure!!

I'm a lifetime Toronto boy, Karl, born and raised in right next to Mississauga, in Etobicoke (Royal York and Eglinton area). I work about 18 km north in the Woodbridge area (boy, has that area ever developed). The big drawback for me every morning and night is driving the beloved/hated 401 and 400 highways. Not many twisties there!! I will definitely find a more scenic route from now on---depending, of course, on how busy the Tim Horton's drivethru lineup is in the morning. :wink:

This waiting is killing me...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I finally was able to get a picture of TrueBlue #1896 today. I don't have a digital camera myself, so I had to borrow one. I hope the image below comes through... as I am a complete techno-idiot.

So far I've experienced zero problems with my Bullitt: no ticking/pinging, no major paint problems (except for a couple of small scratches on the fender and quarter which the dealer will be fixing this coming Tuesday), no mis-matched Bullitt/GT pieces, etc.

A VERY NICE BULLITT!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well there are no more Bullitts at Dixie Ford. I bought the last one - a Black one.

It's going to be great to have a Mustang again. Eight years is too long to wait, especially when this is my fourth one! My last one got stolen and it broke my heart!

I get mine on Wednesday and can't wait to drive it. I can't believe there are all these things to watch out for. I'll have to be extra careful looking it over before I drive off. I'm concerned about the repaints and spotting them.

Looking forward to driving a Mustang, especailly when it's going to be a Bullitt! Looking forward to meeting other Bullitt owners in the Toronto area.

A photo will be forthcoming.

Blackdog

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is going to be my last attempt at posting a photo of TrueBlue#1896. I finally figured out (okay, I was told) that the file size was just over the size limit to post.

Hey Blackdog, Cograts on the Black Bullitt from Dixie (the one in the showroom near the door, right?)! Very nice. I'm really looking forward to meeting up with other Toronto-area Bullitt owners next spring for sure!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts